Does anybody else have a Chroma Blade??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveS15063, Apr 11, 2018.

1. DaveS15063

DaveS15063 New Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Male
    I guess I made a mistake when a bought 2 Chroma Blades from Horizon Hobbies a couple of years ago. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm NOT screwed.
    Actually, these are pretty good drones. The CGO3 camera and gimbal are really good quality from what I can see. My second Chroma Blade has a gimbal for the GoPro camera, which I thought was a better quality solution until I discovered that I can not control the GoPro remotely. Once it gets 30 feet away, it's gone.
    Anyway, the problem I'm having is batteries. They didn't last too long. I'm looking for a way to replace the lipo with a third party BETTER lipo. Has anyone done this? HELP PLEASE!

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I have the Q500, which is functionally the same, uses many of the same parts. Batteries, well every one wants batteries that last forever. Best you can hope for is maybe another 5 minutes or so flight time. 17-20 minutes in the air is pretty normal, really depends on your flight habits, environmental conditions, and how far you want to squeeze the low battery warnings. If you aren't getting a comfortable 17 minutes, batteries might be going bad. The battery I got with my Q500 only lasted a couple of months, before I got seriously worried, 10-12 minutes flight, slight swelling. Could have been several factors, so I made some changes, wasn't going to keep buying new batteries every few months to feed it. The stock charger is very minimal needed, so replaced it with an after market, so I could see what was going on, some choices on how it charges. Lot of strange postings about the stock chargers, no way to tell if mine was doing something bad. My Q500 was refurbished, so the battery may have been bad from the start, though it worked fine for a couple of months. Changed my flight habits, and storing fully charged batteries (ready to go, for when I had time to fly, and weather permitted). I only keep one or two batteries charged, and only for a few days, if I don't get to use them, bring them down to storage voltage, and charge one of the others. I try to be back on the ground, before getting a low-battery warning, instead of waiting for the warning, before bringing it home. Not sure of why the original battery failed, but I've got 5 batteries, still doing well, about a year after purchase. GIFI Power makes good batteries, sort of mid-priced, compared to what's available, but they actually make the battery packs, not just slap a sticker on a generic.

More flight time, means swapping batteries, not really higher capacity packs. Can't really pack more into the same size and weight. If you did strap on a larger capacity battery, you wouldn't gain as much, since the motors would work harder to carry the weight.

kbates likes this.
  3. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    I have 2 Chromas and love them. I have 3 original batteries and still get a good 20 minutes out of them.

4. E_Bro

E_Bro New Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've got a Chroma that I bought at the end of 2015. I still like it. It is starting to have a bunch of issues... I still like it.

5. kbates

kbates Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Male
    Remote Pilot-In-Comman
    Charlotte
    Haven’t flown my Chroma much lately, nor my Q500s for that matter. The past few months I’ve been having fun using my TyH and Breeze for a good One-Two Punch. That being said, for a while there my Chroma replaced my Q500s as my go to bird. I agree with Pretty much everything Harvey had to say above.

I’ve gone through somewhere around a dozen Q 500 batteries and a couple of, batteries over the past couple years, mostly because I left them charged longer than I should have, and didn’t get out to fly when I planned to...

I’ve also become a big fan of landing before any voltage warnings come up. I did have an incident a couple years ago where I ignored the voltage warning. Luckily my Q 500 was only about 20 feet up in the air, but still ended up with a few hundred dollars damage…

Between the Chroma and the Q500, the Chroma definitely gives you a longer flight time if your batteries are good.

6. Doms Auto Repair

Doms Auto Repair New Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Male
    Hi Dave, I have one I purchased 3 years ago my son and I flew it 2 times and put it on the shelf...I work so many hours there's just no time to play...but I want to try it out again in the next few days, I was wondering why you think you made a mistake buying 2 of them ? and also have you updated your firm ware ? I have not and I'm wondering if mine will not fly anymore if I don't ? My son just got a new drone from the Apple store it is small and flies so perfectly I can't believe it ,he can fly over a mile away with perfect video and signal no issues.. I'm charging my battery now after 3 years so I'm not sure how it will work , but I see new one's on ebay ? I hope I get a response from you , Thanks Dom

7. luke james

luke james New Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Hey all.... new rnd here....lol....I’ve just brought a 4K chrome n st10+ .... new to it all, I have all info except how to properly update it fully.... I have updated the firmware on the chrome ... just the pad.....but flying it is really drab n slow.... found some good spots where I live where I get left alone by all

8. Lawrence

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    I have had my Chromas for 2 and a half years. I have never updated my firmware. They fly good and I've heard too many horror stories after updates.

9. Doms Auto Repair

Jun 22, 2018
    Male
    Hi Guys, I have my Chroma for maybe 3 years from brand new and I don't fly it much ,it works great so far and I have read a lot about fly aways never to be seen again so I am nervous when flying it, I never updated the firmware either. It seems like I can only fly about 1000 feet away and then starts to loose video is this normal for some of you also ?

10. Lawrence

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    That's about normal. You have to remember that the Chroma is pretty old technology. But even today, it's a pretty good flyer.

11. Doms Auto Repair

Jun 22, 2018
    Male
    Thanks for the response Lawrence, Dominick

12. Lspleb79

Lspleb79 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I’ve got a chroma I love it.... but now I want something faster and a bit more robust.... don’t get me wrong I love it more than the wife....but the gimbals let the side down.... for what it is and the initial cost to get them.....if you could control the 3 axis manually then I wouldn’t complain....I’ve got a cgo2+..and a 4K ....

Sent from my iPhone using Yuneec-Forum.com

13. Lawrence

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Still enjoy mine after 3 years.