does anyone know of a custom frame for my yuneec

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stealback, Jan 22, 2016.

1. ste

stealback New Member

Ok just totalled my q500 does anyone know of a custom frame that i could take all my motors and so on ..and put onto a custom frame or has anyone heard of someone doing this yet..very curious to know if it can be done ..

Tags:
  2. mikeinaz

mikeinaz Active Member

replacement frames at Carolina dronz and you can send it to pitdawghydro to get dipped

3. ste

stealback New Member

No no i dont want a replacement body ..i want a custom frame kit that will work with all yuneec q500 parts and specs.i know i can get a 59 dollar replacement body from yuneec but thats not what im looking for and carolina dronz only has replacement frames so in other words exactly what i just smashed to bits lol

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member

Good luck with that one. Lots of carbon fiber frames but its getting the motor to mount into the right place. If your into fabbing something than ya maybe but no there is no after market frames.

5. ste

stealback New Member

Thanks much jager yea prolly y i havnt seen anything on the tube.So ok ill keep scouting and for all you diy guys there is your challenge..lol hopefully someone out there with some building skills and a broken q500 will come up with something.

6. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Well I have made lots of frames from CF and CNC parts (my own designs) but I can tell you that it ain't cheap! For a 500 class quad you would be looking at $300 min and a week of work if you have the tooling and skills. Not a trivial exercise given the alignment precision, vibration tolerance, and of course impact resistance required.

7. ste

stealback New Member

Ok have another question for yah .what is the class of these yuneec motors.found a nice 650mm frame to swap everything onto but cant seem to find the specs on their motors..

8. ran

rancherman Active Member

700kv ^^^^
    There are sites with a calculator for figuring motors, props, flight times, batteries, and of course the most important, WEIGHT. (I think you start with weight first, and work backwards..)
    Probably have to see if the Yuneec board can handle anymore volts, just in case you need to jump up to a 4s battery.. http://www.ecalc.ch/
    I see no reason why you couldn't swap, other than performance, (PID tunable?) and if it's a slug because the motor/battery/prop just didn't muster-up.. There can be a lot of trial and error getting it dialed in.
    You might be able to get it to fly fantastic for 2 minutes.... or like a flying brick for 10..

stealback likes this.
  9. nomad33fw

nomad33fw Active Member

What frame did you find? The Q is a 550ish frame, and ACFT weight is 1700 grams with the battery per the specs. The GoPro gimbal is 230 grams and the CGO3 is 195. I have seen a Youtube where a guy flies around fine with floats, a GCO3 and a GoPro which he measures as 850 grams. So I think you'd be fine with a light weight carbon or glass frame.

Anyone have the weight of just the Q frame before the electronics are added?

10. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member

I get 387 grams for the frame with no battery door.
    Landing gear is 126 grams

11. nomad33fw

nomad33fw Active Member

Attached Files:

12. Den

Deniseli New Member

13. Q-Vision

Q-Vision New Member

14. QuadBart

QuadBart Active Member

I have one similar to that from Rakon for my QX3. They look way cool. Even better with the Rakon canopy. Thing is I like the look of the stock body. The stock body also offers "some" protection from the weather, where the Rakon chassis has everything exposed.

Still a nice option...

Codestar7 likes this.
  15. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Just ordered that frame kit this afternoon, can hardly wait, I had been bored with the city bus nature of our bird and have been building a 250 class racer so I sidelined the big bird then found out about what the thing can really do with gps off and I'm hooked again lol

Codestar7 likes this.
  16. ste

stealback New Member

finally they did exactly what i wanted and its a badas frame just for yuneec thanx eager for ur help and our lil chat ended up with an actual product

17. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Finished putting it together this morning about 3am. I'm going to add all the pics I took during the process and show some things they don't mention in the instructions, I took a bunch of pics just have to compile the write up, this thing looks better in person than the pics and now I have all kind of places to mount anything else I want like retractable landing gear with auto deploy using Arduino and sonar. Already have the brains just waiting on the gear to arrive. Link to my build page in progress.. http://yuneec-forum.com/threads/rnlcomps-build.4228/#post-33407

Couple pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

508mm and just the body with all screws, no electronics. 1lb 3.8oz

[​IMG]

The custom frame kit is 515.6mm and weighs 1lb 2oz, subtracting the .3 for the ziplock bag's weight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Codestar7, ^pomen_GTR^ and QuadBart like this.
  19. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

MSanchez0187 and Mario Rodriguez like this.