Does your Yuneec hover in place?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BEC1, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BEC1

BEC1 New Member

I have two Yuneecs. I have a Q500 and a Typhoon H. Neither of these machines will hover in place in light to no wind. My buddy's DJI Phantom 4 is rock solid. I can even walk under his P4 and push it and it will come right back. I've calibrated both machines. I did have an issue with the Q500 just taking off and running away, butI fixed it by reloading the firmware and calibrating the controller. Both of my machines will hover, but vary their position by approximately 15 feet when they should be steady. I have 15 satellites and virtually no wind. I can hover a helicopter in the wind manualy better than I can hover these.

My friend and I are airline pilots who are going to use these during our down time in his real estate company. I'm considering returning the Yuneecs and going with the DJI if I can't find a solution. I want to use the Typhoon for it's 360 degree camera.

I would appreciate any advice.

Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

I have the Q500 and it might drift a foot here and there in moderate winds but no way does it drift 15 feet. I was going to suggest a controller calibration but you said you already did that so thats out. Do they react like that at every location?
    The only other thing I can think of is compass calibration.

Codestar7 likes this.
  3. BEC1

BEC1 New Member

Yep every location. It's odd that both have exactly the same issue. That's why I thought to ask. I thought it might be a systemic issue. I wish mine only drifted a foot. That would be great. I've done compass calibration so many times I'm a pro. It's really frustrating when it starts moving towards a tree. When doing some of the real estate photography I don't have the option of having a clear field. Twice today it hit a tree when I was trying to get a panning shot down towards the entrance. I could never get it to where it would hover well enough to do the video.

I'll make a video to show how the Q500 is acting in hover.

Thank you for the response. I will contact tech support Tuesday if I don't work out something before.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator Staff Member

Are you flying in ANGLE or SMART Mode?

5. BEC1

BEC1 New Member

I tried both.

6. BEC1

BEC1 New Member

Here's a video of what the Q500 is doing in hover. The wind was about 1 kt at the time. The thumb controls aren't being moved.

Typhoonography likes this.
  7. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator Staff Member

It looks like the GPS in the Copter is trying to get a solid lock. It seems like a pretty docile floating lock at least it did not try to fly away. Are you flying near High Voltage Power Line, Metal Building Structures or possibly near some WiFi Interference or Cell Tower? Is your cell phone on your persons? You are not trying to use a tablet connected to the camera at the same time your controller is are you? I see you have tried different locations and recalibrated. How many Sats does the bird acquire and how many does the controller acquire?

Just trying to cover everything I know to try. Maybe you could up load the Telemetry File on your next test and see if someone can look at it.

BTW where do you live?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  8. BEC1

BEC1 New Member

There isn't any GPS interference. I'm an electrical engineer in my other career dealing with laser and GPS guided weapons systems. I've eliminated outside contamination. The drone has 15 satellites in view. I didn't have a spare micro SD to record the telemetry. I've got one coming from Amazon this week. I'm flying to and from Japan three days this week so I'll have to do the telemetry check when I get back. Also, I'll talk to Yuneec.

Thank you for the input. It is appreciated.

I live in Oklahoma City.

9. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

I never really had a problem with this but since I updated the firmware in my Q500 it is rock solid.

DroneClone likes this.
  10. Rub

Rubik New Member

Wow, that's a lot of drift! It sounds like you have done all of the right things to combat the problem. I think it's time to contact Yuneec. Strange that both birds are effected... Do you have a friend with a Yuneec to test in the same location?

11. sky

skypuppy7 Member

I have two Yuneec Q500 4K's and both drift in hover as much as 8 feet before I firce them to come back. They have both done this since new. I have not taken them to a very wide field to test just haw far they will drift. Yes, both are calibrated every which way and both are getting more than 12 sats, while the ST10+ is getting 11. I have discussed this with Yuneec tech support with no resolution to the problem. The 900 lb gorilla company's drones hover withing just a few inches. If Yuneec would watch their IMU when in hover mode instead of only relying on GPS, they could have the same stability. This is a major disappointment for me and has caused a crash during a roof inspection that actually broke the landing gear, chassis, AND the CGO-3 camera. Bah.

12. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

That is definitely not right!

DroneClone likes this.
  13. Rub

Rubik New Member

Oh yes, don't forget to update the firmware. The procedure is slightly different now for the TH. It involves wiping old data off the ST16. Best to follow the new directions exactly. I hope you can resolve your problem. I agree that the 360-deg camera is a big attraction.

Codestar7 likes this.
  14. Typhoonography

Typhoonography Member

Interesting. I just had a similar hovering problem. No wind, not touching the sticks, the same in smart and angle mode.

15. Batfire

Batfire Member

Hi,

No I have never had an issue with the Q500, H or 920. I own them all. Big thing is correctly calibrating the units. Now there is one thing I have not done to any of my copters or transmitters to date. I have never upgraded firmware on any of them. Long story short answer: I have not developed any of the issues that i see from firmware upgrades. All my copters have flown superiorly without upgrading them. There is no turning back when you upgrade firmware and I have read to many stories of people who wish they could reinstall the old firmware. I know I miss the new changes and added functions but heck I got enough functions without the upgrades to handle. LOL.

Ha. and oh yes, my copters all hover where I set them. Never had an issue with drift. Again a well calibrated unit far from obstructions and underground electrical will make the difference.
    I have about 9 years of experience building flying operating multicopters. Started well before they were even known in usa. I use to buy all my electronics from Germany back then.....

Cheers

Batfire
    P.S. Can't wait to get the new 520 with thermo.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Codestar7 likes this.
  16. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I have 2 Chromas and they both drift around a bit. I'm pretty sure I'm calibrating correctly.

17. Bru

Bruce Member

I got my Q500 4K last summer, and right out of the box, it would hold position and hover. I always take off into a hover and it just sits there waiting for me to tell it what to do, I can go up to it and push it and it moves right back to where it was............one more thing, I have never calibrated anything on it or up dated the firmware , it is just the way I received it, I figured if it works like it is supposed to, don't mess with it.........as long as it behaves it's self , I am happy with it and will not up date anything........Happy flying. and pray for spring to come soon........I am in a blizzard right now......

18. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Ya we got another dump of snow last night, trying to get my ass off the couch to go clean the driveway or maybe just go back to bed :)

Spring can't come soon enough for me.

19. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I always calibrate but I agree with you on the updating the firmware. I never have. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

20. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I hate to tell you this, but you still have 3 months of this. Go fish! I'm on my way with the Captain. (Morgan)

DroneClone likes this.