Drone business

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by photo2be, Apr 18, 2016.

1. pho

photo2be Member

Great with a "corner" to discuss how to start or grow photo/video business with a drone.
    I will start with a couple of pics and the market I myself aim to, such as:
    Real estate agencies, golf courses, construction companies, camping sites, farmers etc.
    I will come back with more tips and questions how to grow business and even discuss that if you are sucessful you have to have a back-up drone... To abrupt stop an ongoing photo/video assignment or to say "no" to an order because you drone is "crasched".. is out of question. More to come...

Attached Files:

• fo1.jpg
      fo1.jpg
      File size:
      413.6 KB
      Views:
    • fo2.jpg
      fo2.jpg
      File size:
      465.6 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
    Ddraiggoch likes this.
  2. PJP

PJP Active Member

Hi Photo2b3 - we were talking in your other post. The restaurant owner wants an aerial video of his business...but I really don't think he has thought it through. While it is a nice-looking building, it's in a small town, in a crowded area with trees around. I really don't think an aerial view is what he needs. I told him that perhaps a few snapshots from the air..but likely not a aerial video production. I can do a lot more and better quality with my "ground" camera. If he indeed gets back to me, I will explain it to him.

And I see your point about a backup. My quad is under repair now. I'm a computer tech...and I would never consider having only one computer to work with. Computers have been crashing long before (hobby) drones took to the sky .:cool:

3. PJP

PJP Active Member

Photo2be...where are you?

I haven't seen you since your request to open this section was granted.

4. pho

photo2be Member

Hi! I am here and back after a wonderful trip to US/NY!
    When back home, for you who are interested to gain and discuss drone business, I had a message from a "house/apartment co-operation" who asked me if I am interested to make drone photos. I have discussed that with them for a while and now they want me to do that. It's about 70(!) different buildings/blocks in the Stockholm area where I live. If this will work out in Sweden, why not in other countries? They agreed $400 for each complex and I hope that > 75% will place an order.
    I use a Q500 4K and have ordered a Typhoon H for "safety" reasons, as I have to have a back-up drone.
    The next "market" I will approach is restaurants close to water in the swedish archipelago. There are more than 150 of them in the greater Stockholm area. More to come... Most of my cutomers wants fixed-price / assignments, not / hour.

5. Hez

Hezarfen AC Global New Member

Hello Guys,

In my Country Canada we are obligated to apply for a SFOC (Special Flight Operation Certificate) every time we want to conduct a commercial operation in an built up area which takes a minimum of 20 days to acquire from the responsible government office, plus on top of that we have to have insurance with public liability for every single drone that we operate even if it isn't built up area, is it the same case from where you guys live and operate ?

6. pho

photo2be Member

Hi HEZ! Wow hard to fly in Canada! In Sweden, if flying commercial as I do, I have a permanent "gouvernment" permission, start fee 650$ and then 200$/year, a drone insurance 350$/year and ofcourse I have to accept the airport no-fly restrictions.. Swedish sample here, from the biggest airport in Sweden - Arlanda: http://www.photo2be.com/ARN.htm
    Otherwise I am free to fly - but not over crowded areas... :) I mainly work for real estate agencies.
    What kind of drone-business are you into? BTW where in Canada do you live?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. Hez

Hi Back Photo2be,

I am from Ontario Canada, I have just recently registered the business and got insurance, now working on building the business and research, i have a couple property owners that want me to get images and video for them and i needed the weather to calm down before i start this season, looks like the good weather is around the corner hopefully. So i will be up and running soon. Its great to talk to other drone passionate people, i have a lot of friends in Sweden very nice Country.

8. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I'm in Winnipeg. I was told that if the drone (with camera) weights under 2 kg no special permit was required.

9. pho

photo2be Member

Hi, no thats not true in Sweden, if you fly "commercial" you have to have a licens and insurance regardless the weight!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. Hez

Hello Lawrence, the image i uploaded is a common image Canadian droners come across when first starting to fly and do some research, it indicates that a drone under 2kg is good to fly without SFOC under the exemptions. If you look at the exemption;
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/exemptions/docs/en/2880.htm

you will find that #4 of GENERAL CONDITIONS indicates that

-Any person conducting operations under this exemption shall subscribe for liability insurance covering risks of public liability at the levels described in subsection 606.02 (8) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations and in any case shall have no less than $100,000 in liability insurance coverage pertaining to the operation of the UAV system.

And # 25 of FLYING CONDITIONS Indicates that

-The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles from a built up area.

Due to these two conditions
    -I Have to have a insurance regardless of built up area or not which is impossible to achieve in southern GTA.
    -I have to apply for SFOC for flying because almost any where i fly is not 5 nautical miles away from bulit up area.

I am in continuous research about the regulations myself there are plenty things I am not sure of.

I would be grateful if you know laws that will ease my processes and would like to share.

Attached Files:

11. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I get dizzy reading stuff like that. I said that I lived in Winnipeg so people could relate to where I am. In reality, I am approximately 23 miles south of the city. I live on acreage and fly in a farmers field across the road. I have no intentions of doing any commercial work . I do plan on taking it camping this summer but if I want to take a video of a beach I will do it at 6am. I'm just going to mind my own business and fly. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  12. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

After looking at the chart that you uploaded, I believe that I am OK to fly. I am not using it for work and it's under 2kg. I just have to fly safely, which only makes sense.

13. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread evolve. A few years ago when it was illegal to make money by having a drone business, I knew that one day I could possibly do so if they changed the laws. Fast forward to now. Ive been obsessing about this for about a year and finally bought my own camera bird. I want to start an events/realestate photography business here in Colorado.

Ill be back with questions, compliments etc later.

This should be cool.

Thanks guys!

-FreuderLocks

14. Hez

Best of luck mate,

I have recently acquired all the legal documentation one need to conduct commercial flights it was not a easy breeze they have large sums of paper for anyone that wants to do all of this read. what kind of drone are you flying ?

15. droner

droner Active Member

Thinking of putting some feelers out to local farmers.
    farmsample.png

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  16. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Currently a few small entry level drones at this point. I'm flying a Hubsan xd hd lol, just around the house for fun. A UDI 818A and of course a Typhoon 500 4k. Eventually ill start building a Tarot 810 or maybe something larger as ill need a few to have around for different usage scenarios.

I'm in the process of writing my business proposal/plan, what would be my next step. My current aircraft is registered and I'm insured as well. Thanks again for the help. Sick pictures btw.

FreuderLocks

-edit:spelling

17. James King

James King New Member

Thank you all for the great information. I'm at the starting position of the process, currently working on exemption (Section 333) permit, do I need a business proposal if I'm just looking to do this for extra money (real estate,commercial inspections,farms crop inspections and such)? Thanks for your insight.

18. ion

ionizer24 New Member

I live in Canada as well, and Transport Canada stipulates ALL UAVs MUST carry a minimum of $100,000 liability insurance specific to the UAV. Not just general liability or homeowner's insurance. That is all UAVs whether flown under an SFOC or not.

So far, I have found one broker in Lloydminster that sells such insurance and the minimum amount is $500,000 for a mere $800/year.

Flying without an SFOC restricts one to flying outside 5 nautical mile radius from *any* aerodrome (airport, water-base, any waterbody or river used for aerial operations, heliport), built-up areas or forest fires, no closer than 500' from any open-air crowd (concerts, sporting events etc.), and no closer than 100' from any public roads, vehicles, people or livestock not directly involved in the operation.

You must also carry a copy of the rules with you, carry a certificate of insurance, and never (ever) fly higher than 300' agl or beyond Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS). Break those rules and any cop, conservation officer or TC inspector can simply seize your equipment and write you a ticket.

With the SFOC, the rules are still very restrictive but one is able to fly over built up area and within 5nm of airports (no higher than 100' agl) by filing NOTAMs, having written permissions from any private property owners overflown AND written permission of whoever is in charge of the built-up area (ie; City Manager, RM Reeve, park superintendent, etc.). Still no flying above 300' ever, or beyond VLOS.

Nobody told me any of this when I first bought my Q500 4K.

Helpful TC site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/safetyfirst

Info graphic here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents..._for_flying_your_drone_safely_and_legally.pdf

serking likes this.
  19. Hez

Finally one other person that has understood the same thing that i have. This just made me sure of myself.

20. droner

droner Active Member

Is the insurance through the AMA applicable to commercial or do you need more/different coverage?

hf!