Drone Camp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vicki Felmlee, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Vicki Felmlee

Vicki Felmlee Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    It has been a ton of Sundays and Monday since I've posted, have been interested in postings but have had no problems or issues. Posting today because several months ago I was approached about teaching Drone Camp for teenagers thru our local university. I said yes, then with the Coro lock down etc, figured it was cancelled, but because our county has such low numbers it was decided to give the camp a variance with some conditions - max of 10 students, for example. One of my requirements was that we would meet at our local AMA model club field (17 acres) so that the kid could be learning in a safe environment. The university bought inexpensive ($170) drones for each student, ages 14-16.

So, going bravely forth, Drone Camp was held two weeks ago.

It was great. The drones had to be synced with their phones and that presented some challenges (and extra for me, since I fly larger Yuneecs and you don't have to do that!). But I was blown away with how proficient each one was (most had never had a drone before), how eager they were to learn and what was important to me, how willing they were to help the others. Team work AND fun! My one girl student was one of the best.

I also had guest speakers at the field, quad racers (they were a big hit), and a commercial pilot who unfortunately crashed his $4,000 unit just after take off (dang! at least he didn't have his cameras on it). That was a huge hit as well, as you can imagine. On the last day, I let the students who had flown their little drones at least an hour thruout the week try out my Q (which, yes, I still have it flies great and is so reliable), as well as my H (that was a little nerve racking, I'll admit).

I was pretty exhausted after each day (five hours for each of the five days), I have a lot of lessons learned (this was the first drone camp of its kind in our area, lucky me, right?), had to develop a class outline, etc. But the reason I'm posting this is to encourage any and all of you to get involved with something like this when and if the opportunity presents itself. It was so worth it, and I'm down for next year if they want me back.

Wirewizard, h-elsner and john booth like this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Excellent
    Hope everyone was wearing a mask!
    Drone safety is one thing .....covid safety is another.

3. Vicki Felmlee

Vicki Felmlee Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Yes, masks mandatory and social distancing, except while flying - and then it was 50 feet distancing! That was mostly because there were serious conflicts with the controllers, LOL.