Drones can apparently take out airplanes

Discussion in 'News' started by Junior013, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Junior013

Junior013 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Male
  2. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    If they get sucked up into a jet engine they can....otherwise , you would think it would be like hitting a bird......

3. RedmondTurner

RedmondTurner New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Male
    I'm fairly certain that a plane get handle having a bird sucked into its engine, how would a normal sized drone be much different?

4. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    "I'm fairly certain that a plane get handle having a bird sucked into its engine, how would a normal sized drone be much different?[/QUOTE] I assume the "get handle," was meant to be "can handle" a bird sucked into its engine.....most of the time when an airliner has a bird strike that goes into the jet engine, it will pretty much destroy that engine...Remember the one that came down in the Hudson River in New York , he hit birds and destroyed both jet engines....any foreign object sucked into a jet engine can do some serious damage ...even one of the ground crew being sucked into the engine can wreck that engine......or even his hat.......Fortunately most drone do not fly as high as birds, one thing in the bird's favor is that they are smart enough to try to get out of the way...the drone has to depend on the operator on the ground, who may be flying it out of his sight at the time....

Codestar7 and Jagerbomb52 like this.
  5. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I've kind of skeptical of 'Studies', seems mostly it's a search for ways to justify keeping the money flowing. Not so much about facts and reality. I don't think a plane struck by a drone, is any more likely to crash, or recieve any significant damage. Could happen, but just isn't too likely. Every year, usually around holidays, like 4th of July, and New Years Eve, people shoot their guns up in the air. Usually a few news stories every year, about people getting hit by those bullets, their homes, cars. Occasionally even a fatality or two, but can't remember an aircraft being struck, or taken down, by these celebration bullets. A lot of damage, and serious injuries on the ground, but not much in the serious crime department, for those drunken fools, who never heard of gravity, or basic physics.
    If commercial drones really take off, with package delivery, and other automated functions, where there are hundreds of them in the air, everywhere, may be a little more of a concern, but probably still not going to be a huge problem.

SS Enterprise likes this.
  6. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    As far as shooting your gun in the air goes, everything that goes up, has to come down someplace, may even be a few miles away........and like I said, if the drone went into the engine....if it hit anyplace else on the plane, it would be like a bug on a windshield.....little plastic parts flying all over the place, no big deal..except the FAA would come unglued about it...consider this, the FAA considers drones as aircraft....and two aircraft colliding, gets a lot of attention from them and anybody that hates drones, and then we get all these stupid laws we have to live with...The more drone pilots we get that think the law is for anybody but them, the more stupid laws we get....When I am flying my drone and hear a small plane coming, I will land my drone, until the plane is gone, I don't worry about airliners, because they are way above where my drone can fly, but some times out here in the country, there will be small planes flying really low over the fields...We have a small airport about a mile and a half from my house, we called them and the airport manager said as long as we are 200 feet or lower, he has no problem with us flying our drone.......I never fly much over 200 feet high anyways...that gets my camera shots just about the way I want them..not to close and not to far......When I was a kid I did hit an small airplane up in the clouds, with my kite, I had a lot of string out, we heard the plane in the cloud, then pieces of the kite come floating down......I still wonder what the pilots reaction was, never heard anymore about it.....the plane kept going....Just to be safe, don't fly around airplanes...Fly safe and have fun.......and please try to fly legal ....

Codestar7 likes this.
  7. RedmondTurner

RedmondTurner New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Male
    Not sure how I tripped up on my English there. Thanks for the insightful comment, I was always under the impression that an Airplane could handle a small bird to the engine. If that's the case, then a drone would definitely be able to take down a drone, but like you mentioned, thankfully no drones go up that high.

8. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Birds seldom get sucked into an engine, but it seems that when they do, it from the plane flying through a flock of them. Guess when flying solo, a bird will naturally avoid hitting large objects, but in a flock, they try to stay in formation. I sometimes wonder if the pilots decide to fly threw the flocks, just ignore them, and hope for the best, or just have no choice. I know we've had bird problems at our airport (Orlando International), where it makes the news, everytime they try some new scheme to scare off the birds. Guess there is no permanent solution, the birds get use to what ever non-lethal method, and eventually return.

Still think the chances of a drone getting sucked into an engine would be very rare, even if the operator was trying, kind of a small target, moving fast.. Not like one of our drones can climb into position and wait for a plane to pass, limited battery time, and just a second to make any final adjustment.

Really think they are over-playing the hazards of having drones in the air. Plane crashes or rare to begin with, fortunately. Just shutting down hobby drones, would eliminate even the slightest of risk, well not really. Those who fly them irresponsibly, probably will continue to do so. Already too many out there, to go door-to-door, and confiscate them all. The first quads where built by hobbyists anyway, people could still build their own, even 3d print a lot of the parts. Think the politicians are just blowing a lot of smoke during this election year. We will eventually get rules we can live with, it just that nobody has any idea of what those rules might be, or what really needs to be done. Just a lot of people wanting something done, with no care or clue of the actual problem. Most people flying are responsible, and use commonsense, they don't want to damage their equipment, so they aren't going to do risky things. There will always be a few people, who just don't care about other people, or how their actions can effect others. It's not just drones, these people infect every aspect of society. How many commercial pilots have been pulled off flights, for being impaired (drugs/alcohol). Cops that get DUIs (think they'd know better, least wait until after their shift). I use to fish, had a small aluminum boat, mostly just liked to sit out on the lake, no real care if I caught anything worth keeping. Most folks in those fancy bass-boats show some respect, and try not to make a huge wake near other boats. I've had some close enough talk to without yelling, decide to try another place, just fire up those badass twin motors, and hit the throttle, wild times for me, fortunately I never had to swim, close though. I'm sure we've all seen some bad stuff on the roads. People using cellphones while driving, are some of the worst I experience, daily. I travel the back roads mostly, to avoid a lot of the crazy stuff. Been cut-off, enough to need to hit the brakes pretty hard, nobody behind me. The driver only need to wait another second or two, but what's worse is they never get up to speed, and there's a glow of a cellphone screen.

It's still going to be years, before anyone comes up with some rules that can be enforced, prosecuted, and punished. In the mean time, I'd suggest we all seriously take a look at the people we vote for, who make the rules, pass the laws we have to live with. A lot of of those older timers, don't know what's going on, buy, sell, trade votes, just to get what they personally want, not what is best for the people they represent. We need a lot of fresh people in those seats, who only know how things are suppose to work, and haven't learned all the nasty little tricks of the trade.

9. Junior013

Junior013 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Male
  10. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've seen no proof of such an encounter other than hearsay from pilots. Maybe pilots are getting nervous and lying in an attempt to take out the drone world. There are a lot of people who have a great distaste for drones as you can see all over YouTube. Caution should be taken and also against rogue stories of drones. 3,000 plus, feet up? Wow! I've been 300 feet up and my Q500 4K is nearly invisible! I just don't know what to believe anymore but I will believe video or photographic evidence.Hate to call anyone a liar but it's beginning to get down and dirty!! I wish the AMA would do more to protect the rights of drone operators.
    On another note, I can see children destroying this fun hobby for people who do follow the rules. Laws cannot stop parents from buying some $1000 drone for jr. But, let's not forget the immature adults who could care less about rules.

11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

12. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

That University has 12 such firing ranges in the impact research lab. You'd think there would be hundreds of videos of various objects being shot at plane parts, and everything else. I could understand the lack of animal related videos (PETA), but the DJI video was the only one on YOUTUBE, but maybe there are others buried under the popularity, or the use a different host, or internal server. Could be that the DJI video was leaked, or DJI did it for publicity. Controversy is very popular these days, specially for the younger generations.

13. pixelzombie

pixelzombie New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Someone at DJI didn't do their research very well. A simple search shows the cruising speed of a current M20 to be 278 MPH. Even a 1979 model can cruise above 200 mph. I have seen videos on youtube where a DJI operator took their drone over 4500 feet which is just idiotic. If DJI doesn't like the collision video, they should run their own tests, actions speak louder than words.

14. RedmondTurner

RedmondTurner New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Male
    Im assuming they would have no choice (a big commercial airliner) wouldn't be able to move out of the way easily.