FAA 400' limit no longer

Discussion in 'News' started by Rnlcomp, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    #1 Rnlcomp, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Kenny_D likes this.
  2. Der Stig

Der Stig Member

May 3, 2016
    Male
  3. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    That goes without saying.

4. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    Discussion started:
    First allow me to say, being new to the hobby I know little about this issue or AMA, AMA Membership etc...
    I'm NOT opposed in the least to joining AMA, just haven't taken the time yet to research it.
    I do not understand how a "law" can say IF you are an AMA member you can fly above 400 feet, no one else can. Is it Law or not?
    If so, everyone should abide and if not, well, it's open sky's I guess. SORT OF.
    What about other clubs or org's getting special laws IF you become a member? I could name a few but it would look and sound political so I'll pass the opp.
    I can still see my bird at 400 ft but I can not think most people can see it at 600 or more.
    Regardless, I will continue to fly safe and keep the bird in check while admitting that I would enjoy running up to 1500 - 3000 or so just to see the neighborhood. In the woods where I live this would be safe but.....
    You did say Discuss. (grin)

Fire pants on, blaze away. :)

Stitched likes this.
  5. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    First thing to do would be to get up to speed with the AMA, best place to start is their homepage,..

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Here's is an overview of the safety regulations for being a member,

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Here is a link to the benefits of being a member, you'll want to pay particular attention to the liability insurance that comes with membership,

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/membership/overview.aspx

Yes, I am a member.

6. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    I understand. I will research it and I'm sure will eventually join.
    I think my point has been missed in regards to membership bringing special exclusion from Law.
    Regardless, Thanks for the links, I'll take a serious look.

7. Vimlossus

Vimlossus Active Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Orlando, FL
    Technically this forum could be considered a community based organization, since the FAA has yet to define what that really is. I for one think it's complete BS that we have to be a member of the AMA if we want to do certain things.

I personally would never fly above 400' because I'm getting older, and probably would not be able to see my quad, but still think it's ridiculous that some people are allowed to do it, but only because they belong to a special "club". This is what the AMA has wanted all along. They wanted stricter regulations, but forgiveness for their members. This way, they can increase their member base, since there is really no other reason to join the AMA except for flying competitions. For $75 a year, they do practically nothing for quads, but now that they have this dirty little deal with the FAA, it will require you to join them just so you can be exempt from certain "laws".

wherry, Luke, REB and 1 other person like this.
  8. jwanglund

jwanglund Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Actually there is precedent for this situation. Currently ham radio is policed, certified, and administered by the ARRL. The government via the FCC just approves or disaproves of how spectrum is used. There was a time that the FCC would come to your house if you violated a rule but now it is all notifications by other amatuers who self police the airwaves. I see this becoming common for our this hobby as well.

9. sh44

sh44 Active Member

May 12, 2016
    You guys are skirting the facts. It's not just 'AMA', and you're quite welcome to establish any CBO you wish. Your problem will be you don't have a demonstrable set of safety rules that have proven effective for many years for a quite large body of members, to 'establish' you, ie you'd be new and starting from scratch. You want to enjoy the benefits of the train ride, you first gotta get on the train!

Not quite complete up there afa what's allowed. It's okay above 400 if you stay within AMA safety guidelines. And if you do that, you won't be interfering with otherwise-regulated airspace flights. Got a li'l secret for ya -- us glider guiders were cleared early on by FAA to fly above 400, with same backing of CBO of course. For the most part, we just didn't discuss it publicly - didn't want some folks to start rockin' the boat. There's hardly a week gone by since all this started that I haven't been above 400' - well above 400', with nary a concern.

10. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Why do they still say it is a recommendation and not a law. (" FAA’s 400 AGL altitude recommendation") People are not going to listen to this BS. They are still going to do what ever they want.

nrrtrains likes this.
  11. jwanglund

jwanglund Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Mostly because the AMA is a pretty agressive lobbying body. They also have many members who pay dues which in turn pays for the voice. I've been a member for a while mainly because of the insurance. It is worth every cent by itself never mind what the organization does for you. They are keeping our congress criters from removing our hobby or imposing overbearing restrictions. They also have rules in place where they will only cover you if you fly within their guidelines. If you have an accident by being reckless or not following the rules you will not be covered for the incident. Another form of a hobby self policing. I just wish more areas of our government would operate this way. This is the way things used to work before government got way out of control and over budget.

Stitched and Rnlcomp like this.
  12. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    WOW!! True. I are one. :) Never thought about it. This is pretty much run by the ARRL membership down to administration of our testing sessions (VE's) for your license. We do all the work for no pay.
    I remember well when Uncle Charlie would knock on your door for a shack inspection. They still do this BUT it takes a boat load of complaints from other radio operators before they will pay a visit. Then the FCC will take your radio equipment and levy a million $$ fine on you. Overkill but...
    You are on to something here. I'm not sure why I continue to pay for ARRL membership but I do. Maybe for the fancy magazine that arrives at home each month or so with the same old adds inside. Well, there is also the great written info from other hams. I'm guessing the AMA flight mags loaded with information and the insurance coverage sort of makes it worth the cost of membership to AMA. I'm sure the FAA will one day take your equipment and hit you with a million $$ fine also after AMA gets tired of complaints about you.

Interesting.

I'll join AMA in a couple months (waiting until 65 hits for the discount) but would feel better about it if there was more attention given to the drone guys. Maybe they will in another few years. Thinking positive here. Hope it helps.

13. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    Rnlcomp,
    Thanks for the links and info.
    Looked it over and plan to join in a couple months after the 65th birthday hit so I can get the senior discount.
    The senior discount should take effect at 55 and it would improve membership count. :)
    Thanks.

14. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    #14 Rnlcomp, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Your overlooking the insurance that membership gains you, that alone is more than worth the tiny fee to be a member, main reason I joined to be honest, I don't fly in a club or in any competitions.

• Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
    • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
    • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
    • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
    • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members

15. H2O Aviators

H2O Aviators New Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Male
    Devolper/Flyboard instructor
    Gilbert, Az
    Question is, does Yuneec unlock the Tornado if you are a member?

16. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    You would have to ask Yuneec about that.

17. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    remember for all this coverage you must be flying at an AMA site not the park or your back yard or at the beach or near a airport , and yes i am a member of the AMA .
    fly safe and use common sense

18. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    " The $2.5 million liability umbrella insurance allows you to enjoy peace of mind flying by knowing the AMA has you covered. The insurance covers you whether you choose to fly at an AMA club field, park, backyard or wherever."

Source: http://www.modelaircraft.org/membershipfaqs.aspx

Last paragraph under "What is the real value of my membership?"

19. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

I have seen lots of people trying to collect from the AMA insurance. Mostly posting on the RCgroups pages. Most are calling them scammers with the insurance. Sounds to good to be true actually for the price and coverage your suppose to get. I can't say one way or other just relaying what I have read.

wherry likes this.
  20. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Auto tech
    New Orleans
    Wouldn't have any effect one way or the other for you unless you were a citizen of the U.S. so why do you even care?