Fat Shark Predator V2

Discussion in 'Help' started by raddbus, Mar 24, 2016.

1. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    So I'm looking into FPV and really like this kit: http://fatshark.com/product/1719.html. I will not need a mount for the camera as I want to remove the landing gear and put the camera in the nose of my Typhoon like this guy,
    I know a few guys have used this system and would love some input before I buy. I have found this system as low as $300. I know Frank @ Carolina Drones has the same setup but with a camera mount but I don't need/or want pay for it. His price is $479
    I believe this kit to be complete but if anyone knows of anything missing, needed or what not, let me know. Thank You

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  2. lightbg

lightbg Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Male
    This is a decent combo. One word of advice: try the goggles out before you buy. I found out that the IPD (InterPupiliary Distance) is fixed on these. If you have a non standard head with wider or narrower set eyes get ready for a lifetime of squinting into one lens or the other. Add a hot sunny day and you get a fog buildup inside because they aren't vented.

If you have a standard head you're good to go :)

Jake

3. OMD

OMD Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    Student
    New York, USA
    I have the teleporter v3 system with goggles and transmitter for GoPro and fpv camera. If you want more info I would be glad to help

4. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Male
    Engineer
    Western NY (chautauqua lake)
    I've got the Predator v2s and the Attitude V2s I like the field of view better in the Attitudes and the picture is more crisp. Like Lightbg said the ipd is fixed on the predators, I have a "double extra chuckle head" and I don't have any trouble with the predators. My kit had the camera, 250mw immersion (fatshark) TX and pred v2 goggle. Got it off of Getfpv.com. You wont be disappointed with them. They are a great entry level goggle. I get 1000 yards all day from the 250mw tx. Keep this in mind. If you want to double your range with fpv transmitters you have to quadrouple the power output. so you would need a 1000mw tx to double the 250. It is logarithmic, not linear in it's calculations. I do have the 600mw tx from immersion rc and it give about 1/2 again the range of the 250. I say go for it and please PM me if you have questions. I've set up a lot of the guys that race at my property here in Western NY. I put in a fpv racing course in one of my fields. Used "t" posts and pool noodles for gates. What a riot.

5. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    Thank you OMD & William, the Attitude set up is only $350ish. I don't lane to fly to far, mostly close flying w/o GPS on. But 1000 yd, 3000 ft would be plenty of distance. I haven't even gotten out that far yet, lol. I saw this set up on Getfpv.com, great prices

6. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Texas/USA
    I'm not sure if Banggood.com has them or not but now they have a USA warehouse for some items and free shipping and even if it comes from their China warehouse on some more expensive items (like what you want) they'll upgrade to 3-4 day DHL for only a few bucks extra.

Just for fun I got the Eachine 250 racer there and had an issue with the built in camera and their support was good. Sent me another transmitter I installed it and good to go.
    I buy lots of stuff there and it's been decent quality and some of the same stuff you get online/eBay/Amazon but much cheaper. I got this glass screen protector for the ST10+ for $7.50 shipped and it wasn't just the film type but real tempered glass. http://www.banggood.com/Yuneec-Typhoon-Q500-Transparent-Screen-Protecter-Film-p-1024959.html

Going from the stable Q platform quads to the zippy Eachine thing was a blast and crazy fun! Practicing hovering and flying indoors in my living room since it has no GPS. Hit the throttle too hard the antenna/quad hit my ceiling! I put the little cloverleaf antenna on it now there is a perfect indentation in/on the sheetrock/ceiling where it hit... not noticeable though... Ha!
    Then took it outside at night...around 11 PM...flew up, wind got me, hit a tree, bounced off another limb and it ended upside down on my back garage roof! Out comes the ladder and long rake to drag it to where I could get to it. Just my luck it didn't land upright or i could have just flown back off but it flipped over... the neighbors already think I'm crazy and for sure now.... I do like the headlights and light bar going across the back of the Eachine racer 250. I would have left it there for the night and waited till morning but was supposed to rain that night! UG... :-(

I think you'll love the FPV if you get things set up right! I've been thinking about the goggles to match up to the Eachine, just some cheap ones.

Crazy how those guys on Drone Racing League can fly those things so fast around the football fields/stadiums in/out around the locker rooms and warehouses!
    And wouldn't you know some 15 year old kid won $250,000 in the DRL races recently in Dubai!!

...ok time for bed.. 3:25 here in TX and I'm rambling on.... OFF topic again...oops... time for sleep!!

Have a great night Raddbus!!
    Have fun and safe flying!

When I get the spare Q up and running I'll grow some cajones and turn off the GPS w/camera removed and see how it goes!!
    :)

Attached Files:

7. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Texas/USA
  8. William Ball

Jan 30, 2016
    Male
    Engineer
    You're welcome Raddbus, Just my personal thoughts on going the Banggood route. I wouldn't! Only because with a purchase as big as the goggles you need customer service. When I got my predators from GETFPV, they failed two weeks in to my owning them. I emailed getfpv, they directed me to fatshark support and Fatshark fixed my goggles free of charge in 1 week and returned them to me. It was the LCD driver that went in them. Try that with Bangood or Hobby king. For bits and pieces and such it might be ok to order from those folks but for the goggles stick with either GETFPV or Readymade rc. Great after sale support.

9. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
  10. john cappiello

john cappiello New Member

Feb 25, 2016
    You really don,t want 25mw.
    Not enough power.

11. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016
  12. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    I just looked at the spec, I wonder why the Attitude set up is different from the Predator? The Attitude comes with a 25mW transmitter & the Predator has a 250mW transmitter. So should a see if the would exchange the 25 for a 250 & pay a little more or just get the Predator?

13. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016
    Yes.
    25mw will only get you about 500 feet.

14. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    Well that defiantly isn't far enough, So should I get the predator or ask to switch out the 25mW for a 250mW or higher?

15. OMD

OMD Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    Student
    New York, USA
    Hands down the best place to buy fpv equipment and batteries is readymaderc.com
    You should check them out as they have a lot of options, and they can also help you with a custom package. I personally suggest if you want universal fpv Fatshark is not the way to go due to its special bands, it's rather annoying to find recievers for it that work.

16. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016
    250mW should be fine.
    My only concern is the fatshark walking on the Q500's down link.

17. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    Well, the Typhoon that I'm going to install this would NOT have a camera on it & possibly the landing gear So I'm thinking that wouldn't be a problem [​IMG]

18. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016
    Serge at pirofliprc is good to get fpv stuff from.

19. William Ball

Jan 30, 2016
    Male
    Engineer
    Don't buy either one of those bundles. FCC and CE certified means it comes with a cheap 25mw tx. you won't get a football field away before it breaks up. Do this, Order the attitude goggles seperate and add a 250 or 600mw(not 25) milliwatt tx from immersion rc and a 600 tvl fatshark camera with a filtered power lead. Here is the links to all you need.
    http://www.getfpv.com/immersionrc-raceband-5-8ghz-600mw-a-v-transmitter.html
    http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-goggles/fat-shark-attitude-sd-v2-headset-only.html
    http://www.getfpv.com/fat-shark-600tvl-cmos-cam.html
    http://www.getfpv.com/filtered-balance-lead-power-supply.html

Hope this helps. You'll get much better range going this route, over the "regulated" bundle.
    If they are out of stock try readymaderc.