Flir look alike gopro camera

Discussion in 'News' started by Jagerbomb52, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Correction on my post. It is the same size so disregard my statement below:
    I was hoping this would fit the Typhoon G GoPro gimbal but looking at the dimensions it is a tad taller then a gopro. I guess if you wanted to mode the gimbal you could make it work but thats a big if you can mode the gimbal :)

dnqowjd4eo6fq30zfx8v.jpg

Today at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, FLIR announced their latest camera for personal and commercial drone use, the FLIR Duo.

As the most affordable dual thermal and visible sensor drone camera equipped with FLIR’s smallest and lightest Lepton thermal camera core, operators are no longer constrained by daylight. The FLIR Duo provides a sixth sense, the power to see objects over 100 yards away in complete darkness, smoke and light fog. Equipped with a 160x120 thermal camera and High-Definition (HD) 1080 color camera, FLIR Duo allows operators to swap between the two cameras mid-flight or view both in a picture-in-picture mode via the FLIR UAS app, so no flight time is lost swapping out cameras. FLIR’s proprietary MSX image processing algorithm embosses the thermal image with key details from the visible camera, resulting in the sharpest dual-spectrum image in the market.

FLIR also announced a second FLIR Duo camera, the FLIR Duo R priced at $1,299.99. A more professional version of the FLIR Duo, the FLIR Duo R adds accurate temperature measurement capabilities for commercial applications including agricultural, construction, civil engineering, building inspection, and public safety use cases.

Visit www.flir.com/duo to learn how you can take thermal to new heights.

specs-flir-duo.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Unless you’ve dropped tens of thousands of dollars on a Hollywood-caliber drone that can hoist full-sized cameras, the carrying capacity of your hobby quadcopter is probably limited. So instead of designing a thermal imaging accessory that works alongside a GoPro, FLIR just created its own action camera that can also capture Predator-like thermal imagery from the skies.

But don’t smash your GoPro in disgust just yet. While the FLIR Duo action camera includes both a Lepton thermal imaging sensor (with a 160 x 120 resolution) and a traditional video camera right alongside it, it’s limited to resolutions of just 1080P, or two megapixels. And it’s mostly designed for use with a drone, instead of extreme activities where it might get even a little wet. So if you bought a GoPro for recording gorgeous 2K or 4K footage while snowboarding down a mountain, you’ll still want to keep that action camera in your toolkit.

At the same time, the FLIR Duo can record both a standard video stream to a microSD card, and a thermal-enhanced stream using the company’s MSX overlay technology which makes it easier to discern what exactly you’re looking at, instead of just giving you multi-colored blobs to stare at. But other modes include a picture-in-picture option to make it easier to pilot the drone without being distracted by the thermal images being captured.

Two years ago at CES FLIR unveiled its first consumer-friendly thermal camera with the FLIR ONE system that gave the iPhone Predator-like heat vision. Although thermal vision is mostly a novelty for most consumers, the FLIR ONE accessory was received surprisingly well, and has seen several major updates since its initial release. But the new FLIR Duo is definitely targeted more at professionals who can benefit from the device’s remote temperature-measuring capabilities.

Two versions of the FLIR Duo will be available starting today, including a $1,000 base model, and the $1,300 Duo R designed for professionals doing aerial inspection work who also require the ability to take accurate temperature measurements from afar, without putting people at risk.

Denis56 likes this.
  3. slf

slfloyd69 New Member

There's a company( Dallas Drone) in Dallas, Texas that can take your H and install a IR camera onto the existing CGO3 camera and in essence turns your H into a night vision, thermal heat night flying camera. It's about $2500.00 for the setup last time I checked, but a lot of the sheriff and police departments are using this setup for doing drug bust and finding dead bodies in fields and other various uses.
    Just an FYI.

4. Jagerbomb52

5. roy

roymunt New Member

It's not that difficult to mod the Typhoon G gimbal, I just installed a Flir vue pro r on it, had to cut a bit out the top of the cage, but it works fine, have the image going to the remote.

DR-one and Jagerbomb52 like this.
  6. Jagerbomb52

Can you post a picture of the modded gimbal?
    Thanks

DR-one likes this.
  7. roy

roymunt New Member

Hi Jagerbomb52,
    I'm actually at a course this week to become a level 1 thermographer with FLIR, one of the guys on the course is the UK rep for all the sUAS thermal cameras for FLIR, including the new duo camera, he says it was designed around the same dimensions as the GoPro camera, I told him what you had pointed out and he was not 100% sure about the size, anyway when I get back home I will take some pictures of the gimbal, and I also have modified the new Tarot gimbal, that was built for the vue cores, to fit on the quick release clip on the Q series and h series.
    Roy.

8. Jagerbomb52

You are correct. I remeasured and the only difference according to the spec sheets is the 30 mm is a tad different but will not effect ditting into the gimbal. (41 × 59 × 30 mm)
    Excellent news and it pays to double check :)

9. Jagerbomb52

roymunt
    Something that I am not all that clear on or perhaps I am just not seeing it but with the gopro and the knockoff gopros the A\V out (video downlink) is through the USB post on the camera. Is this the same way the Flir works?

10. roy

roymunt New Member

11. Jagerbomb52

???
    think you missed a comment :)

12. roy

roymunt New Member

Hi, I believe it's the same, the power and video out is through one cable.

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  13. Jagerbomb52

14. Jagerbomb52

OK so now can we get a couple of demos from your UK rep buddy that works for Flir? :)

15. roy

roymunt New Member

Along with PWM and Mavlink controls,
    Forgot to say.

16. roy

roymunt New Member

Ha,, I'll ask.

17. Jagerbomb52

You would be surprised at what these companies offer for free. They need beta testers, they need reviewers, They need to get their product out to the masses.
    The Git2 gang has released the Git2P...."P" standing for a 16 mp Panasonic sensor instead of the Sony.
    I asked to test it out and they agreed. Waiting on its arrival but its coming to me free of charge to review :)
    Thats how its done. I love free stuff :)
    The Git3 camera is right around the corner and I have my hooks on that also. LOL