Flying Signs or Flags

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by GaDrone, May 11, 2020.

1. GaDrone

GaDrone New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    OK, going to be great weather here this week. I was going to fly "signs" of encouragement and faith below my Ty-H. A TV station is showing pictures of such events. Just wondering if anyone else has tried flying a sign or flag? Before I "practice" in my remote field, wanting to get any first hand information.

I've seen this done during July 4th when an American flag was flown from below a Phantom 4 Pro. Beautiful sight. I may consider pulling out the Q500 instead for the project.

Any helpful thoughts?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I would really advise against it. There may be a way to do it safely, but I suspect there is some luck involved. I know of a few cases where folks tried similar things, and wound up fouling the props in mid-air. This sounds like a good way to lose a drone, at the least. Since the goal seems to include people around to see the flag, it adds an important chance of causing personal injury to some one.

3. GaDrone

GaDrone New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Thanks, would love to know how it "fowled up props" in the occasions you mention. I NEVER intended to do this around people. Just some local scenic places and snap some pics and send in to the station. I know one person personally who has done this successfully. Just wondering if there was another.

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The one I was most familiar with did not use weights, and only light cord. There was no noticeable wind. Things went well until a possible combination of wind gust and maneuvering brought the flag up into the props. I assume the flag went above the drone, and got sucked down into the props. He was traveling forward at the time, so the flag would have been somewhat behind the drone. A small gust may have flipped it upwards just enough to create a problem.

5. richard bottos

richard bottos New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    engineer (retired)
    hockley,Texas
    On halloween, I carried a plastic pumpkin about 50 feet from the H on monofilament. Really worked well,landiing must allow the monofilament to lay down on the ground when landing.