Found a copter eating tree......

Discussion in 'H920 Hexacopter' started by janjaap, Mar 13, 2016.

1. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Yesterday the weather was very good to take the H920 on a flight. Sun and almost no wind (2-4 m/s). It was the fifth flight but now with my CGO4 under the bird.
    The place i went flying i have been flying before, also with my Q500. Starting with an inspection of everything (sats, batteries, camera settings etc)on the ST24 i already noticed it was hard to look at the screen of the ST24 (even with the sun shield build around the screen). There was a lot of Sunshine, and i was also excited to be able to use my CGO4 for the first time. So, that was a big mistake, i was too busy with the camera and trying to see what image i was getting..... I had to little attention on the flying.....I took off an flew a bit forward and backward, never noticed i switched from smart to angle mode....

My girlfriend was filming the start and flight with my Huawei and while i was to much looking on the screen i did not notice to much where i was flying. Then she shouted: watch out for the trees..... (they were at 100-120 meters away from me but the H flies faster than the Q....) i looked at the bird and could not see what was front or back (to much sun glare at once looking up from screen into the sunny sky), but tried to take it away from the trees...... but because i was in angle mode (thought it was in smart mode) the bird did the opposit of what i wanted.....
    The tree caught a very big meal.....

It was hanging there at about seven meters high..... beeping for help......
    Running towards the tree i already could see that it was almost impossible for us to climb into it.
    We called my girlfriends grandson but he was playing soccer. So we decided to go there and ask when the game was over he would come and look if he could climb the tree..... But my girlfriend had a better idea, she asked some young lads who wanted to earn 50 euro's in saving the H. Three lads came along, but also for them it was impossible to reach the copter. But clever as they were and willing to earn some money they went to a nearby farmer and asked for a ladder. That was a great idea; now they could reach the branches with just a little more Climbing to the branches with the H in it.... So the three of them went in the tree and on the ladder and saved my H. Because they did more than just climbing i paid them 25 euro's each instead of the 50 for the three of them.

There ofcourse is damage: one leg of the landing gear was broken of; the other one had a strange possition (i think the retraction gear is bowed); one of the motor arms was broken(but still connected through the stronged wires) and one of the motors could turn on the arm it was on. At home i checked if there was other damage, but fortunatly i could not find any other damage. It still could connect to the ST24, reacted on the commands of the ST24; had enough sats and the led was flashing properly to the flight modes, no props were broken (minor scratches) and also important: no damage to the camera (not even a scratch.....); i could film and take pictures, it turned and tilted as if nothing happened. It has been filming all the time in the tree..... until i switched of the ST24), but i want publish the footage.... to ashamed to share.... Bad pilot....

Tomorrow i will go to the shop where i bought it and will ask if there are spare parts or that it is needed to send to Yuneec.de; i think because it is my own fault i have to pay big euro's for the repair. Only thing to try is to look in my Insurance papers, cause i have an Insurance for valued properties outside my home (that Insurance i have contracted origanally for my steam loco). Hope it covers the copter as well.

Well, a long story..... but what do i learn from all of this.... :
    Prepare at home well, make a pre-check form in my smartphone, take sunglasses with me, relax before taking off, don't focus to much on one thing, take a good look of wehre i want to fly, check and dubble check the settings of the ST24 (or ST10 with the Q), keep in mind that the H is flying faster than the Q, keep it hovering longer before flying away, start the video while hovering, always keep the LOS and concentrade on flying !!! The footage can be revised at the PC at home....

Other tips are appreciated...... !!!! (but don't say i have to stick to my steamer......:D)

Greetings from the Netherlands
    Jan

Tags:
  2. PJP

PJP Active Member

OUCH! A hard lesson to learn. The more mishaps I read about, the more careful I become. However, as has often been said, it's not "if", it's "when".

Good luck on repair.

nrrtrains likes this.
  3. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Thank you PJP,

I think also it indeed is the when..... and not if......
    It was my turn now...... and now hope to be more careful too. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.....

4. Volanti

Volanti Member

Sorry to hear that janjapp :( best of luck with your repairs sir..........

5. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Thanks Volanti,

H920 is on its way for repair to Germany. Waiting for a message about the costst.....

6. Peter Silver

Peter Silver New Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Happened to me just after I got my Inspire a year ago. We are continually learning!!

7. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    do you have a video to post .
    thank you

8. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Its a film made by my girlfriend with my smartphone......
    at the end she is calling (in dutch)... bomen (in english): trees, watch the trees.....
    shocked as she is, seeing it is going wrong she holds the Phone down but that
    awfull sound of the copter flying into the branches..... brrrr, still gives me shivers:

9. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    thank you for the video , nice H920 , sorry about the tree , on the bright side you have your H920 back .
    fly safe

10. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Sorry about your H920 that noise sounds expensive !

11. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Thanks, the shop said that before any repair that Yneec will send first a message what the costs will be. But what ever it will be, i cant be looking at a 4500 euro copter that can not fly....

12. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Ouch I feel for you, on a lighter note I bet you will take notice of your girlfriend telling you about a trees in the future, I hope its not too expensive a repair and look forward to seeing it fly again soon.

13. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

if you watch is slowly, you can see your baby hitting the tree, [​IMG] , sorry to see & hear about it.

14. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

It will be sent to Yuneec Germany; hope to hear soon from them.....Hope it is back before summer so i can shoot nice video's and show them here.....

15. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Thanks, in real it also looked very slow...... but a real pilot error; did not know at that moment i was not in smart mode and when i pulled the stick, it flew backwards into the tree....
    To hasty and over concentrated on the screen to see what i was filming.....

16. Tegels

Tegels New Member

Is there an update about the repair?

17. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

No, not yet, this week it has been 4 weeks since i brought it to the shop. Don't even know if it has been sent to Germany yet. I wil contact them this week about it. Season is starting..... i want to fly the H920...... although i also hav a Q500, which has flown a lot already this season start.

18. Tegels

Tegels New Member

Any progress?

19. PJP

PJP Active Member

And I had my turn...saltwater landing. Camera survived! Quad didn't.

20. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

Got a message from my dealer; the quad is still at Yuneec Germany.
    They inquired on my request. Reason for waiting: lot of returns with defects (software as well as hardware).
    I got to be patient..... but still hav my Q500 4k to fly......