Q500+ General Tips and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by billo, Sep 30, 2015.

1. billo

billo Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Male
    Darien, CT
    Just got my Q500+ last week and have taken a few flights before the rains came. I am just looking for a few tips to keep everything in the best condition possible. Any help is appreciated.

1) I read the batteries are best stored half full, but I want to be ready to fly and charging can take some time. Should I always be charging my batteries after each flight (after they cooled) so they are ready to go? How long do they hold a full charge? What is considered long term storage?

2) How often should I do a compass calibration? I haven't done one yet.

3) What about the ST10+ battery. Should I top that off at the end of a day of flying or wait for it to get lower. Should I open the battery door and disconnect the battery or can that stay plugged in?

4) Do you remove the props after every flight and store in the case all the time? I don't really have a safe place to keep it with the props on (kids touching or dusty basement) so the case seems like the best place.

5) It may be smudges on the lens, but the images appear to be a little soft/blurry around the edges. Anyway to test the image quality to make sure it is performing as it should? Assuming cleaning the lens doesn't help.

6) This is really silly, but I can't figure out where the battery charger (load balancer?) goes inside the case and where the transformer also goes.

2. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    Hi
    Answer #1
    charge your batteries befor you go out to fly, never keep them fully charged over a long period of time, your batteries will last longer.
    your batteries should be keep in storage mode when you are not flying ( 3.75 to 3.80 per cell ).

Answer #2n
    I would do a compass calibration at the site where I fly for the first time, if I go to a new site over 20 plus miles it won't hurt to do another calibration, only takes a few minutes. Also if your Q drifts with no real wind I would also do a calibration.

Answer #3
    when I charge my yuneec 5400 batteries I charge my st10+ battery. If the battery in the st10+ has 3/4 power left I won't charge the battery, for me it has enough power because I only have two batteries

Answer #4
    I remove the props and put my Q back in the box. The batteries I place in a lipo bag and in a ammo can.
    Answer #5
    I have the 4k
    If you have a smuge be careful wipe it with a soft cloth.

Answer #6
    there should be a slot in the Styrofoam for the charger, let the charger cool off befor storage.

Have fun and fly safe
    Read the posts on this site you can't go wrong.
    Ask any questions you can think of, everyone here will help you

3. billo

billo Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Male
    Darien, CT
    Thanks.

Still can't figure out where the charger fits in the styrofoam though

4. nrrtrains

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Hi
    Do you see it now between the right motor and the nose pointed forward.
    $_35.JPG

5. billo

billo Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Male
    Darien, CT
    Perfect, makes total sense now, thank you.

6. nrrtrains

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Your welcome
    Ask any questions you have, that is what this forum is all about.

Nettle Creek UAV likes this.
  7. Nettle Creek UAV

Nettle Creek UAV Moderator

Aug 21, 2015
    Male
    Electronics Engineer / Treasure Hunter
    Grundy County, Illinois, USA
    #5 - That's been a known issue with the CGO-3 camera. If it's really bad,
    you should get them to replace it. Can you take a picture and post it here
    so we can judge how bad it is? It could be smudges, though. Just clean it
    with the cloth provided.

8. kip allen