Gimbal failure

Discussion in 'Help' started by Gabaman, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
  2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I don't have one of these gimbals, but I will offer some thoughts based on an "assumed" similarity to the CG03 camera gimbal. There are some components that cannot be replaced by the user. The "gimbal board" and the
    "encoders" (The position sensors), and maybe the Gyro unit, have to be calibrated as a set. On the CGo3, the software to do the calibration is not publicly available. For the CG03, the camera has to be sent to Yuneec to do the calibration. Again, please note I am making ASSUMPTIONS, which is seldom a good thing. A call to Yuneec won't cost anything more than your time, and would yield more reliable info. I have heard rumors each time a new camera system comes out that it will be capable of self calibration. Maybe they actually did it this time,

3. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #3 WTFDproject, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018

WOW. Talk about assumptions. I went right into the first post without even knowing what you had replaced. My apologies.
    What component did you replace, and what "beeping" sounds/pattern do you hear? ( I can't hear anything on the video)

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

It may sound funny but make sure your batteries are fully charged.

5. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    #5 Gabaman, Nov 12, 2018
    Hey, thanks for your answers,

I replaced the external Gyroscope that is plugged into the mainboard at the side with 4 Contacts. The old one was broken so I replaced it with anotherone I had here. I did not fiddle the cable correctly through the system because I wanted to test it before and now, see, it's not working properly...

There are no beeping sounds! So the Gimbal tells me everything is okay.

There is software to calibrate the Gimbal available:

https://www.yuneec.com/de_DE/support/downloads/typhoon-4k-de.html

But it does nothing. There is no calibration process...

The only thing the Gimbal is doing is acting somnolent as you see it in the video

Batterys are more than 75% full

There was another Gimbal where exactly one of these 4 contacts of this sensor lost connection. The Board did a specific beeping sound, what I sent to the support. But instead telling me what the problem is, the support just said that my board is broken and I should get a new one... Because this wasn't what i wanted to hear I figured out what the problem was later.. So I don't think Support will be the best answer.

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #6 WTFDproject, Nov 12, 2018
    The similar gimbal cameras have a "trick" that sometimes works. Make sure the steadygrip is OFF.
    Tilt the steadygrip back so the camera is pointing about 45 deg up. Ensure you can hold it very still during initialization, then turn the steady grip ON. I have no idea if this will work on the GB203, but it does work on some of the integrated camera/gimbal units that are having problems with this board.

7. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #7 WTFDproject, Nov 12, 2018
    Another thought. I don't recall if I have ever replaced one of the these boards with a different one, but I have removed them and replaced them due to changing damaged camera housings. I discovered they had to be placed in EXACTLY the same position they were in when first calibrated.

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #8 WTFDproject, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    I followed the link in your earlier post. It led me to the Q500 GUI. The download looks the same as the GUI distributed in the U.S. I think the U.S. version only works for the integrated camera CG02, and it did not, to me at least, seem to do much. I am not sure if the GUI calibration actually did anything for your gimbal. I hope others will join in this discussion that are more familiar with this.

9. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    Unfortunately same reaction of the gimbal...

Well i did not unscrew the main board, so its in original position as well as the motors an their little pitch&roll boards. The gyroscope that sits under the camera (what i replaced) is fixed with strong glue. I could play around with its position and observe if the gimbal will show a different reaction...

Isn't there any software around to calibrate this STorM32 rip-off board? o_O

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE="Isn't there any software around to calibrate this STorM32 rip-off board? o_O[/QUOTE]
    I looked for a long time, and never found any software or instructions for a real calibration of the integrated camera/gimbal units. Never found anything other than "send it in" for the older models I have. Maybe someone can join in the discussion with better information. All I can offer is a share of your frustration,

11. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
  12. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    Thanks, Yuneec has modified the board to fit their needs, so it's no easy to get a connection. I think their plugs and other stuff is a proprietary modification of the board. But my researches showed that the base module should be the Strom32...

Calibration is a good thing, but the board simply doesnt work as it sholud, there is no stabilisation process going on when moving the gimbal around, so maybe there is some problem that sholud be focussed on before thinking about calibration... but what is it... ? (Maybe it's only a calibrationg thing, just another way of thinking...)

13. Snickers

Snickers New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Male
    I had the same problem with a CGO2 gimbal on a Q500. I had to do the “45 degree” tilt nitialization a couple times to get it to work. I finally mounted the camera on the drone and tilted it nose UP to rest on the rear rotor arms ( blades removed. Turn On the transmitter and drone power and the gimbal board light cycled green, blue, red rapidly. It slowed and went solid red. Turn the drone OFF, wait a couple minutes, then turn ON drone again. Lights cycled slowly green, blue, then red about twice, then solid green and camera gimbal works perfect. So it might take a couple try’s, but it saved a $200 replacement for my gimbal and camera.

14. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    Hey Snickers, thanks for your post. Can you describe your procedure from the start? When i mount the gimbal to the drone and do what you write, only blue and green are flashing, but not red. Or do I first have to try it with the SteadyGrip?

Thanks

15. Snickers

Snickers New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Male
    Gabaman. The light I refer too in the “45 degree tilt” are the lights on the gimbal board. I had removed the little rubber strip between the mount and the gimbal so the lights ON THE GIMBAL BOARD (Front) are visible. Then follow the procedure. It should work the same for the handheld mount, but I used the drone since it would be steady.

Attached Files:

16. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    Yes, I watched the lights on the gimbal board you could see as well in my video I posted. They only switch between green and blue. I mounted it the same way you show in the picture. What I recognize is that the rear light of the drone - the ones pointing downwards to show you the status of the drone - thats changing sometimes I switch the drone on and off, but the Gimbal Board and the LEDs on the board shows always the same behavior. Well so I will just keep trying...

17. Snickers

Snickers New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Male
  18. Snickers

Snickers New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Male
    Very carefully unplug all the leads to the board and replug them back in. When fully plugged in a very small click will be felt. Be careful not to break the connectors on the board when doing this. Sometimes plugging and unplugging will clean the pins in the connectors for better contact. My board would cycle thru the lights then go red and the gimbal would shake ever so slightly. Then a beep, then beep beep beep. Then red, a shake, then Beep. Then beep beep beep. The reseating the pins and 45 degree tilt procedure fixed my problem,

19. Gabaman

Gabaman New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Male
    Thank you, unfortunately it won't change anything.