Q500 4K Gimble Problems

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by William E Jameson, Jun 10, 2021.

1. William E Jameson

William E Jameson New Member

Jun 10, 2021
    I have a Yuneec Q500. I am having problems with the gimble not working It started out with the camera leaning to the left. I could raise and lower the angle of the camera without any problem. Then the camera worked properly for a couple of flights. Then back to leaning and if i rotated the quad it would lean the other way. The last time i flew the quad, the gimble didn't work at all. Any ideas?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Does the camera give any beep codes?
    Does the camera at least stabilize (even if it is not level or responsive to pitch commands)?
    What color is the front camera LED?

In general:
    The problem you describe sounds a little bit like "rolling horizon". Rolling horizon is when the camera leans left/right in a consistent manner with a firm relation to the compass direction the drone is pointing. For instance, the horizon tilts left when pointing west, it rolls to level when pointing north, continues rolling to right when pointing east, rolls back to level again when pointing south and continues back back to left tilt when pointed west again . That version of a camera tilt usually occurs when the IMU needs a calibration. It also sometimes goes away by itself after a few flights.
    A solid lean could also be an IMU problem, but it could also be a failing gimbal board, corroded connectors, or a problem with wire insulation.

3. William E Jameson

Jun 10, 2021
    The light on the camera is green. Do the beep code come from the camera or the controller? Also, the camera does not move up or down. That was the last thing that failed to work properly.

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    "The light on the camera is green."
    That tells us the camera itself if operating properly, and the power supply is good. Please understand the camera and gimbal are two completely different things, built into one combined unit. The only thing they share is the power supply. It is very common for one to be working properly and the other to have problems.

"Do the beep codes come from the camera or the controller?"

The beep codes come from the camera.

"Also, the camera does not move up or down. That was the last thing that failed to work properly."
    I think you were trying to answer the question "Does the camera stabilize at all". I need to know if the camera comes to front and level when powered on, and does it maintain it's position when you move the drone around. If it does, that is a big clue to where the issue lays.

If you can upload a video of the behavior, it would be helpful. You can't upload the video directly to the forum, but you can upload it to YouTube (or similar) and post a link here in the forum.

5. William E Jameson

Jun 10, 2021
    I will try to get a video of the start up and some video footage in flight. It will be the weekend before i can get back to the drone.

WTFDproject likes this.