C-GO3 Gimble tilt issue unresolved

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by FreuderLocks, May 8, 2016.

1. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Yes I have always been able to maintain a signal for wireless. Sometimes I can tell there is interference though. Unfortunately this isn't one of the issues I'm having. As far as filming on the shooting range, its an 18 inch thick industrial rebar reinforced box with steel baffles, bullet traps, tons of insulation and absolutely no cell signal at all lol. If I did lose signal, which I do not believe I do, it certainly wasn't because of interference.

I finally have a UPS slip in my inbox, Ill go out and box it up and ship it out with some fragile stickers on it.
    -FreuderLocks

2. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

My Q500 in its box with controller and camera where packaged at a UPS location yesterday in Greenwood Village CO, I have the departure scan from the main hub in Commerce City Co today at 0026 this morning. All indications are that it will arrive at Yuneec on Monday by end of day. If everything goes according to what the tech told me, I should have my q500 back by the the 26th or the 27th. sooo, I'm pretty much down for a month. I got offered work last night with it too...im learning that hard lesson about not having a second drone to do try and get this business going already.

Currently looking into just building a tarot 960

FreuderLocks

3. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

UPS says the package arrived today at 1017am, Ill keep you all posted on what the outcome is. Thanks.
    -FreuderLocks

4. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

called and spoke to someone in the customer service dept today. My drone arrived yesterday, they couldn't confirm it was even there. The response I got was, 'well, we will get around to it when we get around to it" when asked what the return time was he said "I don't know, it whenever they open the box over there, about a week from then, depending on if YOU OWE US MONEY" wtf? If I owe you money. Lets get this straight, my warrantied camera doesn't work and I might owe you money. That's a positive thing to say to a customer.

As of now my drone has been down for more than half the time I have owned it, out for service for over a week, and in their facility for more than 24 hours and they don't even know its there. I have one word to describe this situation and the Yuneec customer service, Abysmal. I hope they read these boards.

-FreuderLocks

5. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

So its been 10 days since they received my drone and camera, so I called two days ago and was prompted to leave a message and someone would call me back ASAP. No call received for 48 hours. I called today and the woman I spoke with was short with me, quite rude actually. No work has been done on my unit as of yet. When I started this process I was PROMISED by Axle that the quad would be shipped back to me within 7 days of the box being opened. It's been 10 days so far. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who was unavailable, so I'm waiting for a phone call that I'm sure I will not receive until I actually follow up on it.

For anyone who reads these forums and is planning on buying a yuneec product I suggest building your own or buying from an organization that can actually follow through on customer service claims instead of letting them sit on the back burner.

Ill be pressing Yuneec for some sort of compensation as ive lost money just sitting here already.

-FreuderLocks

6. Chr

Chris Moss Member

I am really not to glad to hear of this... not good for you at all... I thought I figured mine out for a bit...I noticed that my camera wigs out when I do compass calibration... so I take my camera of during this process, then after I finish and power down... I re connect camera.. and turn back on... this was doing great for the longest time. Until today.... aargh... a slight lean to the right. Keep us posted on any updates... I hope it gets better

7. Ann

Anno Guest

Oh dear,

my camera is already four weeks out for repairs, same issue.
    Tilted gimbal.

What i have found out is;
    it has absolutely nothing to do with the wifi connection of the camera working or not.
    Control of the camera (tilt, video or snapshot) is done via the st10's wifi control (2.4 Ghz),
    And the video signal is an one way connection, most likely a analog baseband video transmitter.

The gimbal's electronics and the camera itself both contain a 6050 artificial horizon (yes, the same cheap ass device as in yer smartphone), and these to need to be calibrated and synchronized all the time.
    When sync or calibration is lost on either one the gimbal start to act funny.
    in the worst case it also beeps an error code from the camera's speaker and even from the motors.
    Rough handling of the gimbal/camera (even when powered off) can also cause misalignment.

This synchronizing is apparantly the big secret, needs to be done in the backlot of the factory in china.
    the calibration (level in all directions) is done automatically at each powerup, but beware, there is another 6050 in the drone itself (keeps the drone level in flight), and this one needs also to be in perfect sync an calibration with the ones in the camera/gimbal.
    So at startup everything needs to be perfectly level (or at the same degree askew) at startup or errors will ensue... (so absolute level is not nessesary, your drone will take off in an angle if this is the case)
    And off course the gimbal needs to move freely during this process (or else..)
    The defect on my camera was probably caused by a loose suspension, the yaw bearing was dangling on just one screw, the rest of the screws being stripped of their threading due to bad mounting.
    This made the movement of the gimbal rough and sticky.

Why they made this thing so complicated is an big question to me.
    if i had to build a gimbal for this purpose i would build one with the same movement (2 axis) , no servo motors and a low centre of gravity to keep the camera level, for the Yaw movement i would use some kind of spring loading.
    And for the tilt a very small conventional servo loading the spring for the tilt movement.

Currently building one after these ideas for the gopro4.
    will report later.

8. Chr

Chris Moss Member

Anno... Thank you for sharing this info.... I know when we do calibration of compass... it really takes its toll on the camera with all the tilting... making all kinds of buzzing noises. So I decide to do the compass calibration with camera off or detached from the bird. . once compass calibration is done, I power off on the same location, I reconnect the camera and do a accelerometer calibration on level ground.. so far seems to be helping a lot... But you are correct ... if bird is off in one direction to much... the camera gimble reacts accordingly. I can have a level skyline one direction. and off a little bit when turn 90 degress and level again at 180 then off a bit at 270.. crazy
    Thanks again for your time to post your info... make an ole boy feel better when there is an explanation to the drone madness

9. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

I finally received a call back from the manager of the customer service today, after almost a week of waiting. She made a verbal promise to me that my drone would be in the box and shipped before End of Business on Friday the 3rd of June, so this Friday.

10. Ann

Anno Guest

Chris,

Compass calibration should always be done,
    With the camera removed,
    Or the protecting retainer on.
    These 6050 are pieces of micro mechatronics,
    Meaning that there actually is a moving part - a very small steel ball rolling in a carbon cup (the x/y resistor)
    The entire unit is a quarter inch squared, and very sensitive to rough treatment.

FreuderLocks likes this.
  11. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

Please update us on if it arrives on time. I know that Yuneec has been buried in repairs, and taking weeks (months?) to get them turned around. There is a Yuneec dealer at Holly and County Line, and maybe you would have faster turnaround time with an in-house repair there? I'm not saying they could, but it's possible. They are pretty close to both of us.

FreuderLocks likes this.
  12. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

They where supposed to ship it on Friday but I got the UPS notification today, hasent actually shipped yet just got a reminder that a label was created. It should be here this week hopefully. Every time I call them I get bs answers and shoddy customer service at best. Usually the response is that they just cant help me any further.

I spoke with someone today who said my gimble had a faulty board, so they replaced it.

-FreuderLocks

13. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

That's disheartening. I went with Yuneec strictly because of their CS reviews. When something goes wrong I want to be able to get someone who can assist. I have been through a couple of unitsto get one that works correctly, and had to deal with them twice.

They always say they have no parts, so all you can do is either return to place of purchase (always their first recommendation), or send it in for warranty. Sorry, but a 2 hour old piece of $1000.00 equipment should not need to be sent in for warranty work. I have been seeing a lot of posts here that indicate that Yuneec CS has had a major slide in the wrong direction.

FreuderLocks likes this.
  14. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Ive had the CS reps make actual promises to me including the supervisor of the customer service dept, I think her name is Nisha, say "I promise your drone will be in a box with a shipping label on its way to you on Friday" It took until today to get a UPS label and the package has not been picked up yet. It took them a week to return a phone call to me, absurd. Nobody ever knows what is going on there, even the supervisors. I recommend if you send something in that you continue to call and check on it, make sure they know you are waiting, BOTHER them. its the only way to get it done on our end. Ill be buying a different quad for my backup but I agree, something that costs $1000 dollars and flies, shouldn't have any issues at all, until it wears parts out or something.
    -FreuderLocks

EDIT: It should be here by EOD on Thursday, looks like they may have filled my request for expedited shipping.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Bigdenver likes this.
  15. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

So dare I ask?

FreuderLocks likes this.
  16. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

You dared. It arrived yesterday. box undamaged with a note that said they updated the firmware...I was told verbally they replaced the gimble board, so theres a bit of a conflict of information there. I'm actually charging a few batteries now, one for a flight over the neighborhood as a function test. In about 10 minutes Ill fire it up and calibrate the compass and fly for about 23 minutes lol.

I have a building to shoot today in Aurora, one that I am the landlord of, just to get some photos for a prospective tenant from out of town. Ill give a report on that as time allows. I also have some filming to do with just the steady grip this evening when I go to work at the gun shop.

Ill post a report on what I find at that point, if the problem is resolved or not. I'm also looking for a backup drone at this point, possibly another Typhoon but given my experience I'm thinking about a Tarot 810 or larger so I can fly a bigger camera.

Ill give a report either tonight which is unlikely or tomorrow which is far more probable.

Thanks for asking Bigdenver, have a nice day man.

-FreuderLocks

Bigdenver likes this.
  17. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully it works properly now, and you have no more issues. We should go flying one of these weekends, now that you have your bird back.

18. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Unfortunately, whatever Yuneec did, or didn't do, had a negative effect. The problem is worse than ever at this point. I got about 0 minutes of flying in before the gimble did the death tilt to the left. Restarts and reboots had no effect on this.

I spoke with Andrew in the CS dept at Yuneec, who said there wasn't anything he could do except have me send the camera back in, with the drone....again....

I am awaiting a call from Nisha, the manager of the customer service department and will persue any reasonable outlet for a refund/replacement. Yuneec is a company that consistently and habitually fails to stand behind their product, having them return a broken product to me as 'fixed' is evidence of that. Nishas attitude towards customer service leaves much to be desired.

I have a strong feeling I will not hear back from Nisha in any timely manner, as the last time I was promised a call back from her on the same day, it was a week to the day, which is inexcusable.

I offered a credit card number if they would send me a functional product, and that if I failed to return the broken one, they could charge me the full price, no dice.

At this point, I have to recommend to anyone looking for a drone/camera combo, look elsewhere, like DJI, their products seem to be solid, and the customer service from what I have heard is worlds ahead. Conversely, I you enjoy being lied to, manipulated and left to twist in the wind with a product that should by all means, just work out of the box, Yuneec is the place for you.

I have officially spent more time on the telephone with Yuneec than I have spent flying the drone, x2, seriously.

-FreuderLocks

19. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

Really sad to hear about this! Where did you purchase the unit?

20. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

BestBuy for whatever reason, I think they offered me a credit card, and to beat someone else's price lol. They wont take it back I'm sure.
    -FreuderLocks