Guardian's story on company's experimental drone radar.

Discussion in 'News' started by Jagerbomb52, Jan 29, 2019.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Must be working...
    https://www.wftv.com/news/national/...over-super-bowl-stadium-despite-ban/913111718
    Should be an interesting weekend there, tailgate parties, food, alcohol, and drones. Got a hunch the police are going to have a tough time separating a fan from his $1,200 toy.
    As much trouble we all have keeping this hobby live, and few restrictions, can't imagine what these people are thinking. Really hope they catch the pilots, and they get to watch the game in jail this year. Got a hunch, it'll probably how they usually watch the game anyway...

2. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Funny, what do they think they will see, isn't the stadium covered and closed in.......But watch the game and see the drones they use to get those great videos of the players on the field....In doors ,under the dome, no FAA rules.....I guarantee you , you will see a drone or two working the game that way...

3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Any commercial work they will have waivers from the FAA, totally legal when they follow the rules. As for UAV's at the super-bowl this includes all the tail gate parties going on outside. There is a large TFR in place so if you want to make the news bring your drone and try flying anywhere near the super-bowl LOL
    https://superbowl.faa.gov/

4. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Inside the dome they are not if FAA air space, they are inside a building, and working with the people who own the stadium, and the NFL, but not the FAA.......Now outside the building, well that is a whole different deal, and probably a No Fly Zone for 5 miles around it....at least.......

5. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

FAA created a rule designating stadiums as "national defense airspace." Between an hour before and an hour after an event, the agency said, aircraft were not allowed less than 3,000 feet above and within three miles of games. Trust me your argument will only get you thrown in jail if you think just because it has a roof that by the way can be open or closed you can fly a UAV in a building will not work. Some drones seen in the downtown skies are allowed, the FBI said. But those pilots completed the formal process of getting FAA approval to fly.
    [​IMG]

6. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Don't get to indignant about it, if you would read what I said ......Inside the dome they are not in FAA air space, they are inside a building, and working with the people who own the stadium, and the NFL,...INSIDE THE DOME...and working with the powers that own the building and the NFL who is in control of the game..The people flying inside the dome are professionals, working with the media and the NFL....But as long as they stay inside the building, they are not in FAA airspace......They are in private space inside of a building, and in private space inside ,nobody is allowed to fly a drone without permission , not from the government, but from the powers that control that privat building....INSIDE THE BUILDING, NOT OUTSIDE THE BUILDING.......

7. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

They are not inside a building, they are inside a stadium which is considered:
    Stadiums and Sporting Events
    [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    Flying drones in and around stadiums is prohibited starting one hour before and ending one hour after the scheduled time of any of the following events:
    What part of that do you not understand?
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/sports_stadiums/

CBS has a tethered drone cleared for game day
    you still need permission to fly because it's private property and they said, NO DRONES.
    If one were to fly inside the stadium, it would not be the FAA investigating, it would be the FBI and a host of other law enforcement letters coming after them...

8. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Boy this is not soaking in for you is it.........I am not talking about some clowns flying their toy drone around the stadium, I am talking about the professional drone pilot working for the media and the league, taking professional video of the game for broadcast during the game , inside the stadium.....They are there and they will be there today during the game.....many of the pictures we see of the players on the field will be taken by those drones, and if you watch the game you will see them............Drones are a part of their broadcast equipment now, just like the big video cameras. and inside the building, is NOT federal airspace......If they go above the building, yes absolutely it is....then the FAA rules kick in, but not inside the building......I am sure there are all kinds of rules about where the drones can fly inside the building, but that would come under a different controlling agency...Outside belongs to the FAA...Inside no......

9. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

If the roof is open, it would fall under the FAA. Basically, you have access to the NAS. Similarly, if you have a roof structure but the sides are open, you have access to the NAS; FAA regs would apply.
    If the roof is closed, you can fly a UAS indoors as the TFR does not apply in the indoor airspace and the FAA has no jurisdiction of the indoor airspace. Once the roof is opened, it is a completely different story but you have to follow the rule set out by the FBI and any other law inforcement. The people who are approved have their UAV's teatherd. The only ones that can fly over people is CNN and I am not sure if they will even be there with their drones.

10. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    OK I think you got me on this one, I have been watching the game and looking for the drones...BUT I see they have cameras on cable tracks stretching all the way across the field, in several places....SO NO DRONES AT THIS GAME...drones and cables do not mix well........I have seen them at other games, and I am pretty sure you are right, there will no drones filming the game play here..... and the drones I saw at the other games were not tethered, they were flying free..........JUst wondering, not here at this game, but if I were just out in my backyard flying my drone and had a tether in it, would it still come under FAA rules or would it be like flying a kite or tethered airplane.....Just wondering, since you are such an expert on drones and the law....Can I tie a string on my drone and hold the other end, I am pretty sure my drone could lift 400 feet of string.........Have a great night and get back to the game.......

11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Good question and i do not know the answer. It will be something I will look into and no I am not a expert in drone law but i do try to stay on top of what is changing for the industry. Have a great evening also

12. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

The answer came from the guys over at UAV Leagal News group and they said tethered does not alleviate that it is still an aircraft and it is in a TFR. So yes, you would still need a waiver / approval.