H520 review and 2 videos by futurdrone.com

Discussion in 'H520 Hexacopter' started by Spooky, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    Dear All:

Thanks to Jas for giving us the opportunity to review this product here.

Apart from the fact that I work in a shop, drones are also my hobby and passion, so I´ll try to give a non-commercial and honest opinion on the H520, based on our tests and flights with one of the first units we received now 2 weeks ago.

My personal review:
    When you take the H520 in your hands for the first time, the first thing that comes into your mind is, has someone cheated on me and send me a standard Typhoon H (480) painted in orange??

And this is because, if you don´t put an H520 and a normal H together (see the first video opening the box), you really don´t feel the H520 like bigger or heavier.

The difference of 4cm is not too big, but soon you´ll realize the motors (Thanks God!) are indeed very different and much wider.

What´s in there?
    The contents of the box as we have it now are quite simple, but complete: the H520 copter (no camera included unless you bought a “bundle” that really makes no sense as the price is exactly the same as the sum of both drone and camera), and also:
    • ST16P transmitter and sunshade
    • 2 x4 cell batteries
    • Automatic Balancer-charger, with 120-220V and 12V adaptor
    • 10 propellers (5A, 5B)
    • Various accessories (could change in the future, now there is a MicroSD card and transmitter strap.
    • Instructions in several languages (the “short” version, I mean the Quick Guide).
    • CE (in our case) EU certificate.
    Flying... Pros and cons
    The first surprise is when you start motors you barely can listen to their noise when you are 4-8 meters from the H520 on the ground. It is unbelievable.

When you take off, the rumour is a bit higher but still many times more quiet than the Typhoon H or any other drone I have flown.
    This bird is powerful and fast as hell, so you will have to dosify all of that power with the DR control in the right hand side of the transmitter. I would not say it is a beginner´s drone unless one is very careful and aware of the high speed.

Stability in flight is also surprising, but I have to say something, and it is that, due to the super positive center of gravity of the H520 design, when we move the sticks or when the drone moves to keep its position in wind, the movements of the copter are a bit scary if you are not familiar to this copter, compared to other more classic drones in the market, i.e. Phantom).

At the end, the copter is designed to move and turn over its camera axis, so you will not notice hardly any of this movement in the footage, the gimbal really makes his function.

The disadvantage of this way of flying and stabilizing is that, if you want to use the maximum speed of the copter, you eventually will see props or their shades in the camera vision, for instance when you brake to a stop or when the copter fights against the wind on a fast forward flight.

Don´t take this as a big problem, in many professional copters you will have to dosify your speed when fiilming and flying at high speed, forward, or simply put the gimbal a few degrees down, or use simple tricks as inverting the video that you recorded flying backwards ;)

On the other hand I think this will be improved in a new firmware upgrade we expect to have in the very next future, that will be possible of course to install in all existing units.

The new ST16P
    The STP 16 is very different in interface to the ST16 radios we have seen with the Typhoon H or the new H920 Plus.
    Instead of the classic screen view we got on those models, in the H520 transmitter screen we get directly the Data Pilot app screen, being able to swap easily between the camera view and the map view.

This new interface is very well optimized for mission planning, so for instance you just have to mark the perimeter of the area you want to survey, and the DataPilot will calculate the path, altitude and speed that the copter will fly in to get all the photos done perfectly for the job.

You can of course change a good number of things, like for example if you choose to have a different resolution in pixels per cm, the software will calculate the new altitude for the flight.

If the number of needed batteries for the mission is more than one, the H520 will come back to launching point when the first battery is almost empty, and stop so you can change for a fresh battery. After that the copter will resume the mission at the point where it was interrupted.
    We have given the mission data we get with the H520 and E90 to a good customer and friend of us who is an expert in this kind of tasks, and he says the quality is really good for 2D or 3D mapping.

The E90 camera gimbal, etc
    Talking about the E90 camera-gimbal, I would prefer that somebody more expert than me gives his opinion, but it shows a good quality and resolution in all light conditions.

In this moment I don´t have a powerful computer that can easily render 4K videos, but the results in slow motion out of the 4K 60fps I see look fantastic, and the 2K and FHD are also very good.

The stabilization of the gimbal is very effective, though I am not sure if for really strong wind the gimbal rubber dampers are a bit on the soft side, although this is a very easy thing to sort out of course.

Anti-collision has worked really well in our tests, (as you can see in the video), and it is very nice that, not using optical sensors, the system is absolutely reliable in all light conditions, contrary to DJI optical sensors that depend highly on light direction and intensity.

Another big advantage compared to the DJI drones is to have the great 7” screen integrated in the transmitter, with no screen holders or cables in the way, no misteries regarding NFZ or firmware critical updates in the middle of nowhere with no wifi or data, and no bothering advertisements or warnings during your flights.

In all...
    All in all, with the H520 we have a very light and easy to transport professional equipment, that flies and can be handled very well in all conditions, it looks like the wind does not affect its behaviour no matter how strong it is, with a very good camera and transmitter, an incredible low level of noise and a perfect visibility in the air, and up to this moment in our test, totally free of bugs or misteries.

We expect that Yuneec will, as usual, improve this copter with the next firmware updates, and please include a camera-gimbal protector that is missing in the units we´ve sold until now.

Here you have 2 videos, please be indulgent with me especially with the second one about footage examples, I am not an expert photographer and I am right now lacking a good computer to edit videos in high quality, and some scenes are far from perfect, but we still did not have much time to go out and film, or edit with more care.
    I also apologize if I can not be very active contributing and replying questions here, the day is too short to attend several email adresses, orders and the rest of things involving the business, but we are available at our company emails as always.

Thanks a lot for reading, I hope this can be useful to have a more exact idea about this new copter, and help others to know if it is their correct purchase option or not.

Regards and Best Flights to all Yuneec pilots!!

Jas likes this.
  2. Loroy

Loroy Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Male
    The "mapping" functions are very interesting. but what is the software that processes the pictures in your demo? Is it sold by yuneec?

3. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    Hi Loroy, there are several softwares that can be used for mapping, some of them are really expensive to buy with license.
    The software we used for the model in the video is AgiSoft Photo Scan.

4. Loroy

Loroy Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Male
    Thanks for the AgiSoft name. I have a practical question: for example, to cover 5 hectares in mapping, the H520 has to fly how long (with H520 and CG-ET)?

5. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    We still do not have data for the CGOEt (I guess it will be more or less the same with the E90 I am flying with now).
    Don´t take me for an expert, but according to the Data Pilot, to cover and area of 500m x500m, with 90º photos, with a resolution of 2cm/px, the copter would fly at 68.2m, 11 turnarounds, 242 photos at a speed of 18km/h, overlap 70%-60%, and it does not mention time, but it says it would do it with just one battery, so we can guess it would be less than 20 minutes(?)
    I hope in some days I will be able to be more exact... but the customers that have seen the H520 performing surveys, say that it is very fast taking pictures, and they are good quality for the speed it flies.

6. Loroy

Loroy Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Male
    Hello. The telemetry recording does not give the flight time (like on the typhoon H)?

7. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    #7 Spooky, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    The example of 3D Mapping I had in the previous video was quite bad... now we have learnt a bit more, and have produced a new 3D model of a castle over a cliff, here in Spain, in this video you can see all details of how it was done:

PLS remember to set your browser to HD1080...
    I hope you like it!

8. Gerald mcGivern

Gerald mcGivern New Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    The big problem with the H520 is that it was sold as a commercial machine but without basic features and it's simply not fit for purpose, even for mapping you need a camera capable of taking quality photographs and the E90 produces very soft JEPGs with horrendous edge distortion, Yuneec know this and promised a firmware update in December but it hasn't happened and now they won't even give a date for when the problems will be fixed

9. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    Sorry Gerald, I can see you´re not very happy with Yuneec, and I am not here to defend them, at all, but I did not know that the camera was so bad, or that the distortion was so noticeable.
    The results in the video are so bad? everybody is very happy with the model... even when we commited several mistakes, and took the photos in horrible light conditions.

In my modest opinion, the quality of the product is very in level with the price... put it in other words, you can not get the features of a camera of 3000€ or more included in the price of a copter with camera in less than that money.

Also, the camera in a medium size dron needs to be light and small. Technology goes fast, so soon we´ll have better sensors in a small drone camera.
    I think Yuneec will have news about firmware in about a month or so.
    BTW, have you experimented any flight time changes with the latest firmware?

10. Gerald mcGivern

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    The E90 is not a cheap camera over £1100 and for that money I expect a camera that works. Yes the flight time with the new firmware has dropped by about 3 minutes ?

11. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    #11 Spooky, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Hi Gerald, you´re right, but on the other hand it is not too expensive as well. Compared to professional cameras, not drone cameras...
    Anyway, we have an email from Yuneec announcing the v1.3 firmware for H520, with many of the things we´re asking for (promised, we´ll see how they work) in "February 2018".
    Regarding the latest firmware, I am not an expert, but my opinion there is some mistake on how the FC understands the voltage readings from the battery.
    I would not recommend to fly with this firmware at high altitudes and low temperatures, or very low atmospheric pressure togheter... flight times are coming really low in these conditions.
    Also, the batteries are not very happy in cold temperatures, I think.

These things not only happen with this drone or brand, every winter we have more or less the same story with new models or samples of drones, helicopters or some kind of fantastic new type of Lipos...:rolleyes:

12. Gerald mcGivern

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    Hi Spooky, example, a Lumix GX80 is one third the price and 10 times the quality/features (I use Lumix cameras on all my self built drones)
    I understand batteries and cold weather (I have been flying battery powered RC planes, helicopter and multirotors for over 10 years now, nitro powered for 35+) |I find its best to pre heat batteries to about 25degC before flying in cold weather, low C rating also doesn't help and the current H520 firmware battery calculations error on the cautious side