Have Complete Solution for Geo-Tagging Typhoon Images Post-Flight

Discussion in 'Help' started by Dr. Michael Vogt, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dr. Michael Vogt

Dr. Michael Vogt New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Male
    Forum members,

When I joined back in the summer 2016, I mentioned to some that I had a workable solution to the lack of geo-tagging capability on the Typhoon-Q500, Q500+, 4K, and G models. My solution is in the form of a workflow - a series of steps using a few different applications, but once you do it a couple of times you can complete the entire process in about 15 minutes. I do this in batches and it becomes easy. I had some decent documentation drafted in the fall, but got distracted by a lot of family personal problems.. but was determined to clean it up, prepare a full exercise to demonstrate it, and draft up a proper Users Guide. Here it is in latest revision.

If you would like to map or survey using your Typhoon, but have been stymied because of the lack of geo-tagged still images, then this should serve you as well as it has me. Read it, test it, and comment on it. I have used this more than 50 times and it works well, with some small idiosyncrasies... but I show in the manual that it does generate accurate geo-tags, and that very nice maps and models can be produced from the geo-tagged images. I have uploaded a .pdf of the guide, along with an Excel spreadsheet with some needed formulas and an example Map Report to study.

Cheers

DocV
    North American innovative Robotics

Attached Files:

Rexfox and Jammy like this.
  2. MarcoA

MarcoA New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    Excellent work!!!
    Your generosity is grateful.

By the moment I use Typhon H only for fun, but if i will need geo-tagging i would use your procedure.

Thanks Thanks very much.

Regards form Spain.

3. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    Is it needed and compatible with the H? You did not list it in your list above, curious!

4. M_Schmid

M_Schmid Member

Jan 27, 2017
    This looks great! Might be very useful for disaster relief ground team photography as well.

5. kbates

kbates Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Male
    Remote Pilot-In-Comman
    Charlotte
    I had to look into this for a project just this past week, DroneClone, and my TyH does indeed attach Lat/Long details to the images automagically, so no need for this workflow with the Typhoon H.

Still, I happen to need this for my Q500 and Chroma, so thanks so much DocV for putting this together! It opens up some great opportunities for our 'older birds' ;-)

6. E_Bro

E_Bro New Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is great. Thank you Doc.

7. kbates

kbates Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Male
    Remote Pilot-In-Comman
    Charlotte
    Agreed! I actually put this workflow to use this past weekend. Flying my Chroma with the CGO-3 from my Q500, and it worked perfectly!

A note for Mac users: I found Photolinker
    (http://www.earlyinnovations.com/photolinker/) to work well for adding geodata after following the rest of Doc's workflow. They offer a 30 day free trial too!

HoudahGeo (http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/download.html) seems to be another good Mac option, but the free trial limits you to 5 exports at a time.