Height measurment - how does it work?

Discussion in 'Breeze' started by Tinge1tange1, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Tinge1tange1

Tinge1tange1 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Realised that I know too little about how the drone acts under certain circumstances, especially related to height measurment when going from one level of altitude and passing over/out over a much lower level.

How will the drone react if it looses connection to the operator (i.e. no wi-fi)?

Example:
    The drone is set to use a return height of 10m and there is a geofence in place at 80m above ground. I start at a point 1000m above sea level and then fly out over a big edge where ground level under the drone suddenly becomes 400m above sea level. What will happen if I loose wi-fi conection here?

Will the drone keep the 1000m start level as the "defalut" level for returning and climb to 1010m before heading home? I suspect it should react like this, but I want to be sure.

Are there any scenario where it will start to think that the 400m level is the "correct" level and instead of going to 1010m, going to 410m and then having trouble finding its way back since it will hit the geofence at 480m and thus being unable to return to 1000m?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The drone sets "Elevation 0" at the place you start motors, each time you start motors. All elevations for that flight are measured / referenced to that point. It has no way to determine actual elevation above sea level, only elevation above or below the reference point.

Tinge1tange1 likes this.
  3. Tinge1tange1

Tinge1tange1 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks, suspected something like that but wasn't sure.

But how will it react if it loses GPS-coverage over the same "abyss"? How does it keep track of its original height and position then? Does it assume a position based on its latest know position or and then go from there to calculate its return to starting position?

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It uses both GPS and a pressure sensor to determine changes in altitude. I will maintain it's position using the pressure sensor until GPS comes back. Loss of GPS does not cause the CPU to forget the reference. GPS only provides the CURRENT location. not the reference. Only a motor stop and restart will reset the altitude reference. .

5. RChadwick

RChadwick New Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Male
    I'd like to know as well. On the two I had, height wasn't stable. I could go up to 100Ft, and it would think I was coming down. Sometimes it goes much higher, and I get freaked out, and land before it goes too far. Sometimes I've had to actually fight to get it to land. My last flight, it did the same thing, and I told it to return to home. Unfortunately, the sensor detecting ground either malfunctioned or was ignored, and it thought it landed 200ft in the air. The camera showed tumbling, and before I could figure out what was happening I heard a loud thud.

Yeah, I hope someone, like a Yuneec Engineer, figures out the height sensor.