HELP: 1st Flight Almost Perfect; Then Crashed at least 3 times

Discussion in 'Help' started by Marilyn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Mar

Marilyn New Member

So heres the deal. Bought the Q500 4k Saturday, and took it out on Sunday for a first flight. Read ALL the directions, charged all the batteries, etc., the only thing I did (probably) wrong was to fly it off the deck of the house. I stood in the yard, it responded perfectly - lifted straight up, all the way over the house - I checked out the neighborhood, and our backwoods area. When I went to set it back down on the deck, I flew it to directly over the deck and went straight down - a gust of wind blew it backwards into the house. First crash. Broke 2 propellers and lost 1 damper. And forgot to press record -- so no video. I check the mode = Angle Mode. But I get it, I should have started in a large open field, right?

Camera was fine, so on day 3 of ownership, I went and bought dampers and extra propellers.

Now the issue:

FLIGHT #2: We thought the problem was up and down landing. On recommendation, I disabled GPS, and attempted a very small lift and down inside the house. Mistake. Lift up to an inch or so was fine. On pressing the left stick DOWN on the ST10+ (default configuration shows this is UP/DOWN), the drone pitches to its right and takes out the fireplace, and 2 more propellers. 3 inches from the ground the entire time. Angle mode.

So screw this, right? I know what Im doing wrong. I should have flown this in a large open field, on SMART Mode, right?

Next day. Large open Field, here we are. On recommendation, I left the CGO3 camera off of the drone, fearing it would not survive additional crashes.

FLIGHT #3: Im paranoid. I follow instructions to the max. Smart Mode? Check. 28 feet back from the drone's rear? Check. I fire it up and lift the Left stick. It lifts to about 12 feet, then stops responding to all input, and starts flying where it wants to. I switched back to angle, it came back to me, but would not descend without diving for trees or pavement. I switch to Home Mode, it flies away - presumable trying to reach altitude? Angle allows me to bring it back in erratic movement, but not approach close enough to grab or descend. It finally crash lands in the field. 2 more propellers gone.

Ok, maybe its user error. We put on 2 more propellers, and I give the ST10+ to my sister, who is an engineer, and has also read the instructions.

FLIGHT #3: Smart Mode? Check. 28 feet back? Check. She lifts it about 2 feet, then it immediately flies at top speed TOWARDS us and the ground. Crashes faster than you can say: "that sucks." 2 propellers gone again, and very minor sliver-cracks to the one prop arm.

I put on my last two propellers. Surely we are doing some thing wrong right? Im thinking, the most important thing is to get it off the ground as fast as possible, and we'll figure out the flight once its up there.

FLIGHT #4: I put it in Angle Mode. I stand 28 feet back. Fire her up and LIFT at max speed. It lifts fine to over tree height where I take hands off it starts to fly away. No. I change to smart mode and just flies in an ever widening circle. I change it to Angle to get it to come back to me - it tries to fly away. I put in Home Mode so it will come back, it comes back but rather than stopping, turns around and lifts (presumably back to 33 feet) and flies further from me - I guess so it can land elsewhere . I put it in Angle once its close to me, and it becomes unresponsive. IT flew into a tree in Angle Mode, broke 2 more propellers, and one of the landing gear.

I have since updated all the firmware/software for the drone, the ST10+ and the CGO3.

I feel like my first flight was the best flight, and even that crashed - but at least I was in control.

What am I doing wrong here?

Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

First off never use smart mode for taking off, even if your the required distance. Never use GPS off as a new flyer. I have been flying the Q500 for 2.5 years and only tried a few times with no GPS and you really need to know what your doing. Any wind you will most likely crash.
    I would suggest doing all calibrations again, angle mode, turtle\rabbit set to rabbit when taking off and like you said a big open field just in case it wants to do its own thing again.
    Taking off from the deck is no problem but i find landing is a challenge.

Marilyn and Jonas like this.
  3. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I thought I was the only one that crashed new drones! Do what Jager says with heavy emphasis on flying with gps on. Of course you have calibrated everything......right?

Marilyn likes this.
  4. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

This is the most interesting First Timer story I have read since being on this forum. It sounds like the Internal Navigation Inertia Module (INIM) is at fault. Have you contacted Yuneec to see what they have to say about your crashes.

Marilyn likes this.
  5. lonjsnyder

lonjsnyder Active Member

And calibrate everything means accelerometer, compass, and transmitter.

Vicki Felmlee and Marilyn like this.
  6. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Here's a dumb question. How do you calibrate the st10?

Marilyn likes this.
  7. lonjsnyder

lonjsnyder Active Member

Marilyn likes this.
  8. trick_monkey

trick_monkey New Member

My rule of thumb, if I crash my Typhoon H, I will be sending it in for maintenance.

Your lucky you still have your drone. You sound like me when I first had my q500.

I can't say I've ever had a bad drone straight out of the box, but, this sounds exactly like your situation. Send it back. Get it repaired. And try again.

Don't be stupid like me, and try to fix the problem yourself.

Marilyn likes this.
  9. Mar

Marilyn New Member

Wow - after reading your responses I feel better - less like an idiot, anyway! I have now calibrated everything, and plan on getting some new landing gear and trying again. My thinking is that if it crashes again, from an angle mode start - Im gonna have to assume somethings wrong with it. I may be new to drones, but... not THAT new.

I had been afraid to contact Ynueec because I read about bad experiences online. I did contact them about some missing gear - I was missing the neck strap out of the box -- the interior content list states it comes with the neck strap, but they got right back to me immediately on the same day and that it no longer ships with the neck strap. Should I fight them on this? "ST10+ Neck Strap" is clearly listed as a bullet point under "Box Contents.

I will give it one more try and if that doesnt work, Im going to have to just call them and get some help.

10. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

Neck Straps were not in all the packages that were shipped. Several people on here complain in the past about missing nik naks. If you are not NEW to Drones then I suggest you start off in Angle Mode. Not Smart Mode. Smart Mode has to many restrictions that are not immediately understood by even the most experience drone pilot. Start the Transmitter, Turn on the Drone. Wait for everything to initialize. Check the Screen and make sure that both the Transmitter and Quad have adequate number of Satellites before you fly it. 7 or more is good. There are two satellite read outs on the transmitter. Make sure you are in a wide open area, away from Metal Structures, Metal Buildings. A large 1-2 acre grassy field should be good. Oh also make sure there are no Radio or Cell Phone Towers in the vicinity. Also turn off your cell phone or put it in Airplane Mode. I am saying all this to help you try and eliminate any possible interference from outside sources. Move the Right Slider Dial into Rabbit Mode. Start the Props and get the bird off the ground quick about 10-20 feet up and stop and let it hover a few seconds to settle in. You will see it drift slightly but it will stop once it locks the satellite info in. Once it settles you can fly. It it does not settle or it takes off on you and you have done all that I say here then you have a problem. Oh one more thing, make sure the ST10 Transmitter has an SD Card inserted under the battery in the Silver Holder. It will record Telemetry Data to the card. It could help you in case the Bird Flys off and Crashes or goes on a walk about forever.

I am Wingshooter!

Marilyn, Jagerbomb52 and lonjsnyder like this.
  11. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Yunueec customer support has made vast improvements. Talk to Rosie if you can. From what I heard the neck strap they were sending out originally would not clasp well, so it is likely that some of them fell off. So instead of correcting the problem and getting better straps to include, they just stop sending a strap at all.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Marilyn likes this.
  12. Jagerbomb52

It was a cost over run for Yuneec. They stopped supplying the neck straps, the extra battery latch and allen key wrench to remove the screws about 3 months of production of the 4K Typhoon

Marilyn likes this.
  13. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Cost overrun? I bet those small items cost at least 8 cents in the volume they buy in.

Marilyn likes this.
  14. Jagerbomb52

I totally agree with you. Just does not make sense does it but its fact

jkoh79 and Marilyn like this.
  15. Mar

Marilyn New Member

Thanks - that was helpful! I went and got new landing gear last night, replaced it and now and calibrating the gimbal through the Q500 GUI. I calibrated the St10+ based on the Youtube vide, tested the prop motors (all good), and calibrated the drone already via the hookup.

Here's my question - Im going to try the compass calibration via the GUI - I keep seeing that I should be far away from buildings, etc - but I assume they mean if you are going to do it manually?

As for Yuneec, when I sent them a screenshot of the Box Content list, they did contact me and ask for my product info and proof of purchase - I have to upload that over to them, but - if the neck strap is going to break, I may as well just do without it. :confused:

16. Jagerbomb52

Do your compass calibration outside and not on the GUI. Take your smart phone and throw that away also......just kidding, but do not have it any where near the calibration. No metal fences or cars when you do it. It does matter.

Wingshooter likes this.
  17. Mar

Marilyn New Member

ok makes sense. The instructions say it has to be done in 30 seconds? Also, do you leave the camera gimbal on during compass calibration or off? I worry that my user error might screw up the compass calibration.....

18. Jagerbomb52

I take my camera off. I also take the blades off. That is just me. I find the camera and blades just get in the way. For the time it takes to install them back is very little, but then again that me. I have lots of time, I'm retired :)

Marilyn and Wingshooter like this.
  19. sky

skypuppy7 Member

It's much easier to handle with the blades off, too. You can NOT calibrate the compass via the GUI (because you are not just calibrating the compass (magnetometer) part. Also, it is somewhat important to point the nose to magnetic north as well as you can.

AIUI, it's not that the straps break but that the hook is not well designed and has no locking mechanism.

Marilyn likes this.
  20. Vicki Felmlee

Vicki Felmlee Active Member

All good advice here, and I'll reaffirm, get used to Angle mode as soon as possible - and learn how to manually land, don't rely on Home too much. With my first quad, I too had issues but I called Yuneec with each and every one so that they would have a log (one of the major ones was corrupt software, another one was "Home" was maybe 100 feet away). That paid off with quad's last flight. Put in fully charged battery, nothing. Second battery, OK, beautiful day, no wind. First flight fine. Brought her down, moved positions. Second flight she decided she had a mind of her own and no matter what I did just backed herself into a large cottonwood. Total destruction. BUT since I had called Yuneec 4 times before with issues, they made it right: within 15 minutes after calling, got a trouble ticket number and five days later a new 4K with the upgrade. Which I am happy to say, I have had to issues with. However, and I know this is a long post, I was so nervous I knew I had to change the paradigm. Joined the AMA and my local RC club where they have a huge (7 acre), safe, treeless, building-less place to fly, test, train. Should have done that from the start. So advice: join a club - but go ahead and call Yuneec with each glitch and insist on a trouble ticket number.

Marilyn likes this.