Q500 4K How about this (cheap) 3in1 charger from China?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Paul_, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Paul_

Paul_ Guest

Hi guys,

Just spotted this nice charger that looks a lot like the stock Yuneec ones but alows you to charge up to 3 batteries at the same time. Perfect as charging my 7500mAh GiFi's seems..to....take.....ages making me having to decline invititions to come fly.

Anyone have experience with this little charger?

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of stock chargers in general, they are usually bare minimal to give the fastest charge, little consideration to battery life. My very first Yuneec Q500 battery only lasted a few months, before the puffiness, and shorter flight time became a serious concern. I bought a refurbished Q500 G, so didn't really know what to expect, but for the price, a battery ought to last much longer. The battery wasn't puffy from the start. I needed a new battery, and wanted to make sure it lasted more than a few months. I went with GIFI Power 7500, great reviews, middle price range, and GIFI Power makes the packs, not just the stickers. Bought a SkyRC D100 charger, which is similar/same as at least 3 others of the same design and function. Seemed likely they made them as well. I didn't like the stock charger, with only an LED to display status. I only use the balance charge, and storage charge functions, but it's great to have control over charging parameters, choices, and a screen to tell you what's going on. There are several layers of safety, for the battery, and the charger, some you can adjust if you want. I also changed my flying habits, set a goal, to have it back on the ground, before any low battery warning. I put my battery storage, and don't let them sit more than a few days fully charged, and unused. So far, my 5 batteries (2 Yuneec, 3 Gifi Power) are still in great shape, about a year later.

Didn't have much confidence in the Yuneec charger, and even less in the one you linked. Just one LED per battery, everything automatic. The power brick looks really small, little skeptical it would handle the current for one battery, very likely not even close to charge three at one time (long, slow charge rate). I don't know a whole lot about lithium batteries, but they seem kind of pick about charging. I'm still a little scared of fire and explosion, and stick to the recommended charging parameters, Fast charging most batteries of any chemistry is usually bad, tends to cook them and reduce the lifetime (charge cycles). Price you pay for being in such a hurry. Pretty sure there is a minimum current requirement, but not sure of it's effect, except a much longer charge time. Wasn't really much information in your link, no manual or specs. The lack of details would keep me away, batteries are expensive, and explosive. The d100 I bought ($99 shipped), is a dual charger, and can be used for pretty much any kind of rechargeable battery, solid and proven.

Jas and Paul_ like this.
  3. Paul_

Paul_ Guest

Hi Harvey, thanks for your comprehensive answer. The website states it can charge three batteries in 180 minutes but judging by both the size of the device itself and the power brick compared to the Yuneec charger it must at least get very hot.

The DC100 looks great. It seems i can only get hold on the V2 version for around $140,- (€120,-) but it looks like great value for money with dual charging and the function to add a barcode to the battery and scan it to get the right parameters for that battery in the charger.

Thanks again, will getting that DC100 soon :)

4. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Shop around, you might find a better deal. The same charger has several other names, there are one, two, and four battery versions as well. Hitech X2, Venom are a couple of the other names, haven't thought about it much in a year. I don't know if it's the best, but it's a very good value, works well. Definitely good quality, and well designed. $140 seems a little high, maybe the 4 battery version? I ordered mine straight from SKYRC, in China, $99 and free shipping, took a few weeks to arrive though.

5. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Just took a look at the D100 V2. Looks like SkyRC has been busy, new web site, didn't see anything about buying direct, but they have some new products that look interesting. The brushless motor analyser deserves some further reading. Your price is probably right on the D100 V2, they added a bunch of stuff. I'd personally wait and see how it works out, lot of firmware for the BlueTooth, voice prompts, barcode, the app of course. Could be great, I'm impressed with the original D100. I'm kind of minimal on my tech purchases, I get what I need, and try not to get drawn in by a lot of extra features, probably would never use. The barcodes is smart though, it would make keeping track of battery usage and health a whole lot easier, if the app keeps a log for each charge.

Still, I'd surf the web, and see some reviews on the RC sites, read how this new version is working for others. Mine was a mature product, only thing I bought from the company. It's great, but I don't know if it started out that way. Although, I think I would have read a lot of problems when I was shopping chargers last year. There wasn't enough to scare me off purchasing, so guess it was pretty solid from the start.

That motor analyser sounds like a good piece of equipment, might have saved me a crash, and save some money on rebuilding. To bad it doesn't test the ESC as well. Just seem sort of a waste to replace out of caution, something that could reused. Would also be nice to know if the new replacements are good, before installing, and finding out the hard way. Might not buy the SkyRC brand, but going to look around and see what is available. Didn't know the equipment was available, in a affordable version.

6. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    if you intend to stay in this or any hobby that uses LI-PO batteries do your self and your batteries a favor and buy a good charger , you won't be sorry in the long run , look around you mite want to get a charger that can charge 4 batteries at the same time .
    fly safe

7. Paul_

Paul_ Guest

Thanks for the replies @HarveyH54 and @nrrtrains. Seems like the right thing to do indeed. I use the drone semi-professional and for fun in the rare free time i have. Still unsure if i want to make it into a hobby but really enjoying it for now.

I also came across this charger from HTRC for $62,- including shipping to the Netherlands. Seems like a good deal and supports dual charging too. Just not the gadgettery from the DC100 ;-)

8. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Reads pretty similar to functioning like my D100. Not a lot of reviews to go on, only found one forum post, but not really a review, more interested in buying type. Apparently the fan is kind of loud...

You'll need an EC3 to banana plugs for each battery, pretty common, not expensive.

9. Skypuppy

Skypuppy Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Male
    I got one to play with in case I ever needed to charge more than one battery at a time. I put 3 on it as a test (all same capacity), charged them up, then hooked them up a single charger HiTec to check their voltages per cell. All 3 had to be balanced but that took less than 15 minutes per. So for $15 or so ($30, I forget) it works. I did not make note of how long it took, sorry.