How do you actually use a GoPro with Chroma?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Darel, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Darel

Darel New Member

So I'm looking at a Blade Chroma with the DX4 controller and gimbal mount for a Gopro, since I already have a Hero 4 Black. Despite the fact that the machine is built and sold specifically for GoPro use, I am reading where you cannot have WiFi on when you use the camera with the drone.

So, how are you supposed to see what you are recording? It has a motorized gimbal, but you have no way of seeing what you need to point the camera at?

The DX4 controller even comes with a cellphone mount on it, but you can't use it anyway?

Is this what copper shielding is for, so you can use WiFi to run the camera while flying the drone?

I'm not any kind of an expert with either the GoPro and certainly even less with drones (this will be my first, which is why I like the Chroma, seems very beginner-friendly) so maybe I'm missing something here. Do you just launch the drone, fly it around with the camera recording and hope it catches something good? If so what would be the point of the motorized gimbal if you can't view what the camera's pointing at anyway?

Thanks,
    Darel

Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

The gopro gimbal comes with a MK58 transmitter antenna kit. This sends a 5.8 Ghz video downlink to the ST10+ controller. The DX4 controller has no screen for viewing so I have no idea how your suppose to use that with a gopro. Even if you used the gopros wifi you will lose video about 100 feet away. Kind of useless.

3. Darel

Darel New Member

Crap. Already bought the Chroma. And right in the instructions it says this model is also not compatible with the ST10 controller. Guess I'm stuck. I think it's the right choice for flying purposes (seems very beginner-friendly) but I guess the camera aspect of it will be pretty much pointless (pun intended).

4. droner

droner Active Member

You can buy the receiver board for the ST10 for $50 at HH.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/st-10-rx--chroma-blh8607

You would still need this though.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/58ghz-video-downlink--chroma-gopro3-4-blh8628