How To: Prevent a Fly Away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by midego, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jam

James Maher New Member

Frankly...I would recommend learning in Angel mode....which ever way you choose..take your time to learn the machine and it's "character"..it's not like the World is ending soon..So yeah...take your time in mastery.

2. Jam

James Maher New Member

Locking in on at least 121-15 Sats, how is it not locked in? The Earth would have to be flat to "see" all the Sats, and there are alot of them...Triangulation is pretty close with just 3..so close w/in 12'. If your not w/in that then it's not compass calibrated right..and make sure you auto @ least ONCE, if your "land"..

3. tim

tim1959 New Member

hi everyone I have a question I have a chroma if it was in a overwhelming wind and I hit home how long would it fight the wind before landing

4. mar

marco899 Member

Till your battery is critical.

5. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

The above advise may or may not help prevent a fly away, but it certainly wont stop a fly away from occurring, I know from my recent experience with a fly away, after checking the ST10+ memory card showed the last position before impact and the location to look for the quad, we eventually found it, but at this stage I not prepared to say anymore at the moment and jeopardized the outcome apart from yuneec have got my Q500 4K back for inspection and are looking at the ST 10+ memory card, I can say the quad and camera was totally trashed and this was on its second only flight after my original being replaced by yuneec due to cracking around the motors.

What I can tell you is I have over 45 years experience of flying rc models, and there was nothing I could do to prevent the outcome of this incident or regain control.

6. sh4

sh44 Active Member

What? You don't have the Umbrella Upgrade?? ~;)

7. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

Who needs an umbrella?? A hat works great!

[​IMG]

8. nomad33fw

nomad33fw Active Member

I won't say anything in the original post is wrong, but it will not stop a Q or G flyaway. I preflighted every time. Checked weather and KP. Started radio and made sure I had GPS. Started Q and watched lights and warnings on the radio. Armed and allowed the Q to idle for a minute or so while watched for vibrations or other unusual occurrences. Then I would come up to a hover and test maneuverability before actually continuing on a flight. I did this every time and it did not stop the fly away of my Q.

On the day she flew away. I checked weather, no problems. I started radio, had great GPS and no warnings. Started Q, no warnings on the radio and all lights were normal. Here is where it all went to hell. I armed the Q and instead of coming up to idle she took off like a bat out of hell. I no control at all on the 2.4ghz side. I was able to activate the camera on the 5.8 side. I tried every combination of mode to try and get some type of control. Nothing worked. Worse yet, the Q seemed to be sensing my location and the faster I went towards her the faster she flew away, eventually hitting the water at 45mph!

I had flown her several times with GPS off, I know what that it like, fun but completely controllable. This was not that, I had ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL.

I sent the telemetry files to Yuneec who was useless. It took them months to even look at the files, with the excuse being that they didn't have the proper software installed. Their response was laughable, they blamed lack of control on compass calibration. Compass calibration has nothing to do with control of the aircraft but they refuse to admit that the receiver or flight controller malfunctioned.

I have a Q and a G, will had a Q. I have flown RC aircraft and driven cars and boats for years. I had many hours of flying on the Q, in almost every environment and never had a problem. The aircraft just plain malfunctioned and Yuneec's supposedly good customer service sucked.

So you can be careful, follow all the preflight steps, when she decides to fly away there is nothing you can do. Basically the flight controller and receiver in the Q are toy quality and I believe after a while the connections fail.

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

I kept this in mind recently as I was experimenting with flying my Q500 4K while driving my electric car, a Chevrolet Volt. It is propelled by electric motors, has a very large lithium based battery pack in it and I can't even imagine the EMF field it might produce, but luckily everything went well and the drone stayed with me, even in the nasty winds we have here. Maybe I got lucky. I'll be doing this again in Monument Valley, Utah in a few weeks, but this time my wife will be driving the car as I stand on the side of a few dirt roads (in the middle of nowhere. I just hope my app "Hover" works there to advise of the Kp-Index.

10. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

yes you are correct , when you are in a fly away you have no control of your Q , GPS loss , loss of bind TX or RX . if you loose GPS you should still have control of your Q , if you loose bind the Q should hover at the point of bind being lost until the battery gets low and then land and kill the motors . as you said the Q was traveling and hitting the water at 45 MPH , the only way the Q will fly that fast is no GPS . interference could also enter as a loss of signal , usually the st 10 will try to rebind . when you sent the files to Yuneec they should have seen loss of GPS ,and given you a new Q , they should stand behind there product and malfunctions . oh yes i know " fly a ways are not covered " , why not .

11. nomad33fw

nomad33fw Active Member

My files showed no loss of GPS and the RSSI was good. The aircraft took off immediately when it was armed with no input from me or the controller. The only thing I was able to control was starting the camera.

Yuneec has decided to replace my bird and I received a BNF model today. Strangely though it's a version 1 with silver motors and no hot shoe for the gimbal.

12. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

call Yuneec and tell them this is not an up to date Q 500 and did you receive a camera with the new ( or old ) Q 500 . i now Yuneec replaced your Q and that's great but they should replace what you had or up grade to the next best quad if you don't call Yuneec you will never know why they gave you an old Q . my Q 500 4K is the original V1 and have never updated the soft ware , " if it's not broken , don't fix it " .