How to: Simple Lipo upgrade for the Steadygrip, tripple run time

Discussion in 'Steadygrip / Wizard' started by ricksonchow, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

There is room beside the battery for an alarm, but really it doesn't need one. After all with 2hrs run time my cell phone dies first! It would be an easy add-on though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. Blu Eyz

Blu Eyz New Member

Thanks! Making my purchases now. I appreciate the advice!

3. NWdrone

NWdrone Member

There is more room outside for a alarm.

Attached Files:

4. jon

jongreen New Member

I'm using the Venom 3000 tx. Can I charge it connected to the Q500's included Balancing Smart Charger using the balancing plug--as if the regular 5400 mAh battery were plugged in?

5. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

I have seen three different batteries mentioned in this thread. I am interested in doing this mod and had a question. Would any 11.1 v LiPo that would fit into the battery compartment do the trick. I was going to stop by my LHS tomorrow and see what they had available and just take the steady grip with me to check size.

I am glad I read this thread first because I was just about to buy 8 AA and a Charger for them at a cost of about $25.

6. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Any battery that will fit will work just fine. As long as you have connectors and the battery lets the sliding door close your good to go.

7. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

I have the zippy 1000 and its actually a pretty tight fit but it works

Ray Halm and Wingshooter like this.
  8. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

That is what I thought. I will stop by my LHS and see what he has. He is a Mom and Pop shop and I like to give him business whenever I can.

9. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

Can you use the charger that came with the Q500 to charge the zippy 1000?. Going to do the same mod soon.

Ray

10. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

No you can't use the same charger you will require a third party charger one that's capable of doing a balance charge, your best bet would be buy a charger that can also charge your flight battery's as well, this would be the best economical option.

Ray Halm likes this.
  11. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

Any suggestions on a new charger?

12. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

errrr....yuneec factory charger IS a balance charger....

and if u have the similar 3s 11.1 lipo pack...it would be good to charge any 3s 11.1 lipo pack...no matter what size (i assume) <-- this thinking came from my guess that yuneec factory charger wasnt that smart after all...it just sense voltage as indication of charging/balancing/fault...

13. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

If you read the label attached to the yuneec charger the output label states 3.5 Amps , which is well over three times the C charge rating for a zippy 1000 mAh battery which most people have converted their steady grip to accept, the correct 1C charge rate for this battery is 1amp not 3.5 amp its got nothing to do with the supplied charger is a balancing charger.

^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  14. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

I would recommend getting a third party charger that's capable of charging at least two Yuneec battery's at the same time dual output charger or a single output charger and parallel charge both of them plugged into a EC3 balance board for this the third party charger to have any benefit, the charger you require should have minimum output of 11amp this would then charge two yuneec battery's at the standard recommended 1C charge rate set at 10.8 amps, the benefits you would get charging 2 yuneec battery's in around 45 mins, youn can then lower the charger setting to 1amp to charge your Zippy 1000 mAh battery safely at the 1C charge rate.

You may want to consider a charger with a greater output say 20amp this would be the most sensible route and economical in the long run that way you are not likely out grow the charger.

The charger I use is a icharger 208B DC charger which has a output of 0.05 - 20amp (350 watt max) but this charger also requires a powerful power supply, probably your best option is go with a AC charger which has its own built in power supply.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    ^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  15. Kay

Kay New Member

Great contribution
    Thanks for sharing

midego likes this.
  16. Blu Eyz

Blu Eyz New Member

17. Blu Eyz

Blu Eyz New Member

I'm so happy I joined this group. You guys on here are honestly so helpful and don't talk down to "Nubes" like me. I honestly value your input. I figured I shouldn't use the same charger as what came with the drone so I purchased a Venom Pro 3 (http://www.bigsquidrc.com/venom-pro3-acdc-battery-charger/) which I'm told is one of the best for my needs?

I'm far behind the learning curve with its use though and trying to understand the technical language in the instructions is...well, intimidating to me at best. I will try and get with a friend of mine locally thats pretty sharp with his RC stuff. I'm sure he can set me straight. I'm the sort that just needs to know what buttons to push for the proper settings on a charge, and likewise for any discharge. Not a good book student, but great once I get my hands on it with proper training and repetition.

Charging the batteries with the Yuneec charger is kind of a no brainer. My understanding is not to charge those batteries until they're needed. I'll fly the drone and once I get my alarm on the controller bring it back, land it and pull the battery leaving it until I need to charge it for the next flight. If I'm wrong, by all means set me straight?

Thanks again SparkoRC
    Steve

mrburns likes this.
  18. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Just finished doing this mod, I bought the Zippy flightmax 1000mah 3s 25 battery off Ebay for $13 total. Real easy mod & well worth it. I only used my grip for 1 set of 8 AA batteries & didn't get very much time. This should give me PLENTY of time. Thanks for the write up.

19. Jav

Javier Olalla New Member

Lipo battery for steady grip

Attached Files:

20. Jac

Jacques Herremans New Member