How to: Simple Lipo upgrade for the Steadygrip, tripple run time

Discussion in 'Steadygrip / Wizard' started by ricksonchow, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Har

Hardi New Member

Hi
    I have the same battery as seen in the tutorial (Zippy flightmax 1000mah 3s 25) , but I am wondering if I can use my original yuneec charger, that came with my q500 4k drone, for this battery?

2. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

Here is my battery mod. Works great for the YUNEEC battery and I don't have to program my x2 charger for two types of batteries . The plates above and below the battery are 1/16 aluminum. If I were to make one all over again I would use 1/8 inch.

Attached Files:

3. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Thats a nice, neat job Ray. Well done!

4. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

Thanks Arbutus, I think I'm going to ad 4 light duty springs to help keep the plates apart when removing the battery. Just another tweak to the design.

Ray

Ddraiggoch likes this.
  5. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

No you can not.

Ray

6. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

Ray is right, Don't do it. I would charge the 1000 pack at no more than 1C or 1 amp. The yuneec is a 5400mah pack and I'll bet the cheap stock charger is set to close to 5 amps. Don't know for sure but that seems logical. If you are going to be in this sport please make sure one of you very first purchases is a good balance charger that can handle 3 to 6 cells and will give you at least 6- 10 amps of charging power. Please do your batteries a favor and don't charge them over 1c Remember every 1000mah is = to 1 amp. a 4000mah pack is charged at 4 amps 2000 at 2 amps and so on. Don't over stress the packs and you'll get good longevity out of them. I'm sure someone will chime in here on how they charge at 5c or something silly like that. Well, good luck to them. 1C is the ticket.

Ray Halm and nomad33fw like this.
  7. Truman

Truman Member

If I was wanting to use my 5400 yuneec flight battery for this mod what connector would I need
    Ray what type connector do I need to order to do the mod to use the flight battery like you did?

8. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

but i remember most smaller battery have higher than 1C rating... (bigger battery=lower C rating usually)

like this turnigy 2000 mah battery rated at whopping 15-25 C

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tech_2000mah_3S_15_25C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

9. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

EC3 Male type connector, found at most RC hobby stores.

10. Ray Halm

Ray Halm Member

A local machine shop is supposed to call me today with a quote for having 50 plates cut so I can make some of these external battery boxes available to the few people that might want one. I'll post back soon.

Ray

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  11. XIB

XIBALBA Member

The eneloop NiMh batteries are 12.84v combined (all 8 of them inside the battery tray, tested with a multimeter) and each battery is 1900mah. How is a 1000mah lipo going to outperform that?

12. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

well if the 1000mah lipo couldnt fight...

there is always 2000mah or bigger battery option cheaply available...and u will only need to charge 1 battery (or 2 for spare)..

with AA battery that is 8pcs and to charge that much battery (or keeping it managed) not to mention if u need spare another 8pcs battery and the mess to keep it organized......

13. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

@Truman actually the XT60 connector is a better fit and works with the Yuneec batteries and pretty much every charger made.

14. Mie

Mierlo Member

Remember these batteries are connected in series arrangment, so the volltage increases with every battery in this arrangement but the cappacity not.
    Total voltage may be 12.8 but capacity stays 1900mah, how much current does this gimbal and camera draw and do your "normal" batteries keep working ok(also after 10 minutes)?

15. XIB

XIBALBA Member

Aside from convenience, 12.8 volts at 1900mah should keep the gopro gimbal powered for a while. Not sure about the CG03. Anyone know the current draw on it?

16. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Thanks for posting this writeup. I was debating getting some NiMH batteries for the steadygrip, they are pretty expensive for 8 good ones, plus a charger. I'm not an electronics WizzZard but I think I can figure out wiring up a new battery.

I saw a DIY with a 2 or 3000mah battery in it for some absurd 3.5 hour run time or something like that. Is 1000mah going to be good enough to get better life than 8 NiMh? I just want to make sure, like I said, electronics are fairly foreign to me. I understand most basic stuff though. Basically just looking for a more informed opinion than mine lol.

Thanks again guys, best forum I have ever had the opportunity to mostly lurk. Thanks !

-FreuderLocks

17. Dan Engelbreth

Dan Engelbreth Member

Sorry for the very late reply. I did not put a voltage indicator on my steadygrip, as its not needed with this much capacity. I have since taken about 4 videos with the steadygrip using the mod I have shown (Venom 3s 3000mah LiPo) I have had more than 2.5 hours of "run time" on a single charge, actually never ran it completely down as I recharge before I use it. The dims of the battery are 85 x 50 x 18. I charge it using a high end RC car charger at 3amps (1c). This is a very easy mod and fits completely into the original compartment after removing the 8 cell AA tray cutting the leads to the tray, and soldering a jst connector onto the ends of the leads (use shrink wrap after soldering). I put a couple of strips of foam to keep the bat from rattling. The door fits as original. I found a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 that worked with the app - nice big 7" screen! Female J pigtail lead is available from Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWGK6&P=7 Battery: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLH6&P=7
    Here's some more pics.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    FreuderLocks and ^pomen_GTR^ like this.
  18. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Very nice writeup and pictures. I went ahead and did mine yesterday with a 1000mah 3s 11.1v lipo. I got past the boot up and video connect lol. played with it for about 30 minutes, took some video and pictures, about 4gb worth. The battery tested at 12.54v at the start and 12.36v at the end, so I can imagine that this setup would last a considerable time. I may invest in a 2000mah battery pack in the future though if I can find one on the cheap, this one cost me nearly $30 at the local hobby shop.
    FreuderLocks

19. Joe_D

Joe_D New Member

Hi Pomen_GTR, be careful not to mix discharge rate with charge rate. The Lipo you mentioned is labeled with a maximum charge rate of 5c which is surprizingly high. That would allow a maximum charging current of 10 amps (5c x 2000mAh = 10 amps). With the original Q500 Charger (3.5 amps) you definitely should be on the safe side, but probably will reduce lipo lifetime. Usually those 3s Lipos can only take 1c, which in this case would mean 2 amps max, which lets the original Charger not to be recommended. By the way, I recommend a BQY 2200 mAh Lipo which fits in like a charm. It's about 10 bucks in US EBAY, 15 € on the german site. Look for "BQY Transmitter LiPo Battery 11.1v 2200mah" and make sure to find the flat, broad type (Battery size: 10.2 * 4.2 * 1.4cm / 4.20 * 1.6 * 0.6in). Attached my mod (different lipo, same story) and the EBAY lipo.
    Greetz from Germany - Joe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    ^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  20. vpgtd

vpgtd New Member

^pomen_GTR^ likes this.