HOWTO: ST10 firmware update

Discussion in 'ST10(+) Controller' started by midego, Feb 9, 2015.

1. midego

midego Administrator Staff Member

1. First transfer all the ST10 firmware files to an empty microSD card and insert it into the microSD card slot underneath of the ST10’s battery.
    • The ST10 firmware files include a 'firmware' document and an 'update' zip. The 'update.zip' is the ST10 system firmware. Do not extract it.
    • The firmware document, includes a 'rf' and 'tx' folder that should never be renamed. The 'rf' folder contains the firmware 'st10_rf_vXX.XX.bin' and the 'tx' folder contains the firmware 'st10_tx_bXX.bin'.
     Screenshot 2015-02-09 14.57.29.png

2. Power on the ST10, select 'System Settings' and click ‘OK’.
    Screenshot 2015-02-09 14.59.03.png

3. Click 'About Flight Mode Control' and 'Radio Control Update', then select TX file 'st10_tx_bXX.bin' from the microSD card and click ' Update Tx'.
    Screenshot 2015-02-09 15.00.24.png

4. Select RF file 'st10_rf_vXX.XX.bin' from the microSD card, click 'Update RF' and click ‘Finish’.
    Screenshot 2015-02-09 15.01.21.png
    Screenshot 2015-02-09 15.01.58.png

5. Click on ‘System Update' and click ‘OK’. The ST10 will automatically detect the ST10 System firmware file on the microSD card and will update it.
    Screenshot 2015-02-09 15.02.30.png

Check 'Build number' at any time to see if it is updated.

IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2317.JPG hgfhfg.png

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Tags:
  2. Dew

DewDog2 New Member

Could use a video on " and insert it into the microSD card slot underneath of the ST10’s battery"

thanks

oops, never mind. I found one

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  3. Sim

SimonSKL New Member

I tried to update the firmware in the ST10. Followed the instructions and copied the firmware and update files to an empty SD card and installed in the SD card into the holder underneath the battery. Click System update and then Click Radio Control Update. Select the Tx .bin file and click Tx Update. It failed and gave a reason as time out. Repeated the same procedure, same failure. What did I do wrong? Anyone has any idea? Will a failed update causing any probleem with my ST10? Will it default back to the old firmware before the update attempt? Thanks!

4. midego

If the update fails nothing happens, it will be the same as before updating.

5. Tit

Tito New Member

I tried to update the firmware on my st10+ but get an error every time as the update should install. I did everything according to the above but failed twice.

I did noticed that when selecting the tx and rx files there where 2 choices for each, but could only select one.

[​IMG]

After that I select system update and the thing shuts down and boots again... But keep rebooting for like 5 times and after that an error pops up. I am able to scroll true the options but can't select them.
    [​IMG]

After this I shut it down and it can boot again on the old firmware.

Any ideas?

6. midego

Can you post a pic of your files and folder structure on the sd card. This might be part of the problem. Keep in mind that when you take out the SD card the ST10 will just boot up normaly and you can still fly.

7. shi

shipracer New Member

I am having the exact same issue, different SDcards (different downloads). All I have is the firmware folder and update.zip. Did you figure out what it was?

8. Tit

Tito New Member

No. I haven't yet. I didn't look into it any further.

Edit: it looks to be a known problem at Yuneec, but you have probably found that out.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  9. Ste

Stephen Member

Same issue here, rf/tx updated OK, but when I tried to update the system it fails as above (goes into recovery screen). I also noticed that now I no longer have any response/indications in the "Hardware Monitor" screen of the ST10, but the camera gimbal still seems to respond to ST10 input. I didn't test it in flight because I just don't want to take the risk if the ST10 is having problems. For some reason my system firmware says its at b36c, didn't know there was a b36c version available, the firmware on the yuneec website is still b34.

10. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

11. Ste

Stephen Member

Thanks for the reply, but I have the ST10, not the ST10+ to which that applies. Still doesn't make sense why my android version is b36c. I noticed my controller had a few scratch marks on the case, mind you I purchased my controller brand new, so maybe yuneec is sending refurbished controllers out in new packages.

Codestar7 likes this.
  12. mrburns

interesting,

If its a very recent buy I wonder if its a ST10+ firmware in a ST10 outer.

This problem only seems to affect ST10+ firmware.

I still do not understand why you have B36 as the version though.

What about a factory reset?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. Tit

Tito New Member

Same here. Hardware monitor doesn't show anything. Tried everything. Even tapping the software version 4 times and re-calibrating the stick etc. etc. q500+ flies good. Recently some problems with 180 degrees yaw flips in mid air. But response from controls is good.

14. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

I have one of the last ST10 not+.
    I have the same problem, with the last firmware upgrade, after System upgrade, ST10 shows Android recovery screen and, after a reboot, the "Hardware monitor" absolutely don't shows anything.
    Build number is .01b36c.
    Does anyone found a solution?

15. mrburns

Wieg1.

It would appear that if you have the android screen then you are loading an update which is NOT for the ST10.

Check on the download page because originally Yuneec were not very clear. Now they spell it out so be careful.

A reboot will put you back to the original

16. midego

If you don't find a solution to fix it just email Yuneec and they will replace it for you.

17. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

I sent an email yesterday morning to yuneec eu reporting this question and the other problem I have on Q500 on which I can not calibrate the compass.
    I purchased the Q500 four month ago.
    I asked for clearance to send everything for a check.
    At this evening I did not receive neither notice of reading nor any reply.

18. Ste

Stephen Member

I've sent Yuneec 2x emails so far detailing the problems with the st10 so far, no reply yet since this all began in May. I could call them, but I wanted to send them the pictures as proof of the problem.

I still haven't been able to update the st10 controller, like Tito above, it does work to control the Q500, although I'm not sure how well. The range seems to be short on the video feed, mine maxes out at about 900 feet. Is there any hardware difference between the t10 and the st10+ besides the screen being larger? IMG_0415.jpeg

Weig1, have you had any luck getting a hold of yuneec?

19. mrburns

Stephen,

The reason you cannot update is that the System version on your ST10 is b36c. The latest is b34c for the st10.

I have seen this version (b36C) before whereby the Yuneec latest version is lower than the current loaded but the system will not over write the current software with the latest as it sees it as a previous version.

You can do either of the following, BUT THINK BEFORE YOU DO EITHER
    1)
    do a reset in the hope that rolls back to the 1.05 version ( can anyone who has done this confirm it rolls back) You will also have to rebind the bird.

OR

Extract the zip to the folder and then double click on that folder and you will see a folder name
    ST10_b34c_b22_v01.19

Change the b34c to b37c - only that. leave the rest alone.

This should fool the st10 into thinking there is an upgrade.

Please note I have not tested this myself so think carefully before you do this.

Feed back any thoughts / questions before or after

20. mrburns

Stephen,

Also note in answer to your last part of your post.

The firmware is different. You cannot update or upgrade the hardware from ST10 to ST10+. Besides the screen there appears to a few other things like the ability to record telemetry etc.

Yuneec have advised that they intend to do a firmware upgrade for the ST10 which will bring it up to ST10+ where possible. Naturally you will have to wait for this.