International airport battery regulations.

Discussion in 'News' started by TheMissingLink, Jan 20, 2017.

1. TheMissingLink

TheMissingLink New Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Male
    I've just got back from a holiday in the far east and there still seems to be a lot of confusions regarding airlines and local law enforcement regulations. I've just been held up in DOHA for 2 hours trying to convince the local law enforcements that batteries under 100wh are allowed on board as hand carries and not to be checked in. Qatar airlines agrees with me that they are allowed for hand carried luggage but they cannot overrule the local law enforcement "that they should be checked in with the main luggage which contradicts the airline policies". There's a catch 22 for you. On my outbound flight from UK to far east I didn't have any problems when I declare with airline staffs. On my inbound I went through without any hassle at the far eastern airport. However, Qatar (DOHA) seems to be a law unto themselves and ignores everyone else's rules, what they said was "not allowed" and that's that. I was very lucky to be able to convince Qatar airline staff to check them in with one of my hand luggage otherwise I would have been out of pocket by £700. So folks BE WARNED if you're going to fly via Qatar airline with any stop in DOHA.
    As a foot note. Are there any other international airports that you know that stops any lipos from going through on hand luggage?

mrburns likes this.
  2. TheMissingLink

Aug 10, 2016
    Male

Thanks for the link Jagerbomb52. Although I have to say that that only applies to airlines and not the local authorities I encountered at DOHA who igored all the qatar airways staff advises that states that they are allowed for transport in cabin luggage they instead insisted they be checked into the hold luggage which is a more dangerous place for them to be because of sudden pressure and temperature changes.

3. Shintom

Shintom New Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Male
    A friend of mine was travelling to Maldives via Dubai. In Dubai they took all lipos away (although secured and in a lipo bag) So he arrived in the Maldives with a copter but without lipo. And of course he had to buy new lipo after returning home. In Switzerland and Spain no problem.

4. TheMissingLink

Aug 10, 2016
    Male
    Sorry to hear that mate. That is exactly what they TRIED to do to me in Qatar(DOHA). I fought my corner and somehow saved my lipos. The arabic countries seems to have their own rules and regulations they follow and nevermind what the other airlines and countries are doing. I for one will NEVER EVER go through any of the muslim countries when carrying any lipos for my drones or helis.