Is 'Dashware' OK to use?

Discussion in 'Photo's and Video's' started by Keith Chirsan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    I have finally gotten to the point where I have files in my CGO3 4k camera and files from my ST-10.

Can someone point me to a place where I can learn how to combine the drone video with the ST-10 video? And how to synchronize the two files?

I have been trying to use Dashware but I'm getting errors when I try to load the video file. The data file loads OK.

One more question. Is there a way to make mp4 files smaller? I tried 7Z but the file didn't get much smaller. I wanted to email one to my son but even the 5 minute sessions are too big to attach to an email.

Thank you very much...

Happy New Year!

2. Tuna

Tuna Member

Jun 4, 2016
    I believe (but haven't checked recently) that Dashware doesn't handle 4K video. You'll need to resize to 1080p to get it to work.

If you reprocess the video (ie. put it in an editor and write out a new file) it should shrink quite a bit. The camera itself doesn't do much of a job for compression (it just doesn't have the power), so letting your PC re-encode the video will help, as will lowering the resolution. Zip software like 7Z cannot do much with video files - it's designed for text and documents, not video or photo.

If you want to share video, it can be easier to upload to a site like YouTube or Vimeo - just set the upload to private and share the link with your son.

Keith Chirsan and DroneClone like this.
  3. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Thanks that was good stuff! Thanks...

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

5. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Thanks! If Dashware is not going to do 4K then it won't be useful to me. I have been 'renting' Photoshop for quite a while so I thought I would give Premiere Pro try.

First of all it slowed my system quite a bit. Granted it is a 2-in-1 but it's got i7, 12 GB ram and 2T HD. It does have a so-so graphics processor though. It's running Windows 10.

Maybe it's because I'm new but I do not find it very user friendly.

I'm going to uninstall it tomorrow and try something different. Thanks again and I will check out your video...

6. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Ok I paid the thirty bucks for the latest version of Windows Media Player. I know it's basic but it looked so uncluttered I bought it. If I have to upgrade shortly then I'll have to do it.

I actually loaded a 4K clip from my CGO3 and figured out how to clip off the beginning and end and remove some parts in the middle.

I watched a vid on YT on how to use it but i didn't see anything about the process to add the layer with the flight statistics from the ST-10+. Is is possible in WMP? If so, how do you sync the two layers so they start together? As you can tell I am brand new to this. But I'm making progress.

Thanks

7. Lov2Fly

Lov2Fly New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Female
    "HandBreak" free software may help with editing process.

Keith Chirsan likes this.
  8. Lov2Fly

Lov2Fly New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Female
    One more comment: SSD hard drive is quicker when editing film than the HDD hard drive. Use the HDD to store the final video.

9. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Keith

You started this post that you wanted to use Dashware, when you found out you cannot use 4K video in Dashware you said you were going to delete it. Am I correct so far?
    Now you say you bought the latest version of Windows Media Player and you want to sync the two layers so they start together??? What two layers are you talking about? Windows Media Player is just a player and that,s it.

10. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    OK JB thanks for your attention to detail. I can see that some of my information could be misleading. In response to your questions...

1. I was going to delete Dashware but after watching your video and doing what you suggested
    I gave it a try and it loaded my 4K with no problem. I know there may be other problems down
    the road in reference to your incompatibility reference but hey it's free so I kept it temporarily.

2. Video Win Movie Maker is what I got. Don't know why I called it Windows Media Player.

3. The two 'layers' I am referring to are the video from the CGO3 and the telemetry from the ST10.

In a nutshell what I want to do is to be able to combine the telemetry file on top of the video file and come out with a finished movie. I won't be doing every movie this way but some.

Thanks for your help...

11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Well unless you use Dashware (under 4K) or the free version of RaceRender (free only up to 500 meg movies but will do 4K) that's not going to happen with those programs you listed.
    RaceRender keeps improving but its not meant for aviation. More geared to the car racing guys. I use it but I find I have to remake gauges and syncing the telemetry to video is a pain in the butt to me anyways.

12. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Thanks
    Thanks Lov2Fly, I will check it out.

13. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Do you know of a program like RaceRender that is more geared towards aviation? Doesn't have to be free.

14. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

No
    When Dashware went for a crap RaceRender was the next best thing. I think there is one more program but it is also geared to racing.

15. Keith Chirsan

Keith Chirsan New Member

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Thanks! It does take a long time. I have a 2T Toshiba external that may work for that.