It Just Might Fly Again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jagerbomb52, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

After waiting since November 15th for some landing gear and back arm replacement parts from china that got busted when I had the five motor alarm come up and drop the quad down to the ground from 30 feet up it just might fly again. I did end up replacing one motor on the back that was giving me a ESC error so I changed both ESC & motor. Charging a battery up to give it a short test flight.

20170107_130232.jpg

Tags:
    MSanchez0187 and yerrickl like this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Well I braved the cold for a test flight. Wind was gusting to 24 MPH, wind chill -22 F so you can imagine i did not spend much time testing :)
    It flew pretty good but it does need a compass calibration. I'll do that on a warmer day.
    Had plenty of satellites, 20 on the Quad and 17 on the ST10+. Don't get that very often on my Q500 so that was good.
    Tomorrow is suppose to be warmer, maybe I will give it another go.

SKETCHY, MSanchez0187 and yerrickl like this.
  3. Jagerbomb52

I been testing this for the last couple of days. Actually had a couple of crashes into the snow. Burnt up one ESC because it got wet from the snow crash, no problem I have a few spares so change that out and good to go.
    The problem I am having is when I lift off it will turn 45 degrees to the right instantly. About 30 seconds later it starts to do the toilet dance. I have calibrated everything many times and each time it says success. Quad GPS is anywhere from 17-22 and the ST10+ is around 16-18 satellites. Thought maybe the GPS was screwed up so I changed that out with a spare, same results.
    Flew with GPS off and it was pretty dam near rock solid with no wind. A lot more solid then with the GPS on. GPS is mounted to the top side of the top plate like CarolinaDronzs suggested it to be. Copper tape added to cancel out RF noise to the GPS(X2 as I have extra)
    I can't figure out whats going on. Might just sell this thing or fly it with GPS off.
    Open for suggestions :)

4. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Maybe some metal foil tape instead of the copper. I've seen the obligatory aluminum and even some stainless foil reflective tape. Different frequencies are blocked by different metals. It looks like your canopy goes on and off fairly quickly. It might be a simple experiment. Or try with out the tape at all.

5. SoCalDroner

SoCalDroner New Member

I'm not familiar with how the GPS module you used on this quad works, so I'll ask, does it require proper orientation, in other words there is a Front that must be facing forward? If it does, since you said you mounted it to the top plate of the drone, could the alignment be off a bit causing the turn?

6. Jagerbomb52

The copper tape comes with the Q500 so I would think it is recommended for shielding RF noise.
    Look where Brad tears his apart around 3:25 he explains the copper shielding

The GPS is mounted with4 small screws facing forward. And yes you do have to be facing north to calibrate the compass and GPS. I have done this a great number of times. Starting to think the FC board is wacked.

Was out today and flew it without GPS, reminded me when I first got into this stuff. Small UAV's no GPS :) Had a great time. To bad it was so fricken cold out. Battery did not like going so fast and drained pretty fast with the cold weather.

7. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Have you thought of replacing the Flight Controller , sounds like my H, if it has one?

8. Jagerbomb52

Yup I think the FC is wacked

9. Jagerbomb52

If it is the FC board and if I decide to replace it. The cost will be over 100 bucks US dollars. I can tell you the fun I had today flying with no GPS was worth well over 100 US dollars so I do not think it will ever fly with a GPS ever again :)
    This will be my daredevil UAV LOL

Lawrence and Codestar7 like this.
  10. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Yes excellent.

11. Jagerbomb52

Out this morning after shoveling the driveway. Had a old CGO2 camera mounted on it. Gimbal is toast so it is locked into one position. If the quad crashes I don't lose a good camera :)
    Managed 46 MPH on the downward swing. Pretty harry trying to keep it out of a nose dive LOL but fun as hell :) :) :)
    I made about 4 runs before I remembered to turn on the video LOL thats why battery voltage is down. I find running with no GPS sure sucks the battery down fast.

12. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

46MPH...what a Hot Rod!

13. Jagerbomb52

14. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Go for it, I intend to do the same.

15. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  16. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

How can be the FC week if it works fine without GPS? I think FC is good. When I take into account the symptoms I would point to the compass. GPS off says the FC to ignore compass too.
    - did you already changed compass board too?
    - is the board in the same direction/orienation mounted as the original?
    - compass disturbed by motor/camera or so? Distant enough from all magnetical sources?

By the way - the long nose on the picture left is for the compass only. After some tests, I found this is the best place.
    AluKopter2_03.jpg

And then it runs like hell also with GPS...
    AluKopter3_12.JPG

br HE

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017