Q500 4K less than 45 mins flight, but 1 motor bearing seems loose

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by CrashALot, Nov 5, 2018.

1. CrashALot

CrashALot New Member

Oct 17, 2018
    I bought a refurbished q500 4k, w/ 1yr warranty and have flown it twice, and while changing altitude limits last night, i played with the esc and engine upper right area of windows gui.

it not only sounds slightly diff in this test, which is basically the initial turn on speed of motors (you test it w/o props btw) and investigated when it sounded diff.

it has my guess of at least 4-5x more play than all three other motors, an actual detectable looseness to it.

is this cause for concern ?

I plan to put some high qualit lube on it if i can and see if that helps, and how long.

had planned to do some high altitude 1000' of the surrounding farm land (out in the boonies) vids, lots of farm and wild life around, and then do some along the creek stuff.

but now am concerned about this damn motor !!

rather unwanted to send in already for repair !!!!!!

thanks for any prior experience and solutions !!

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I've had a couple motors go bad, but they got TIGHT instead of loose. And they got HOT while flying.

Is the shaft loose in the motor, or are the motor mount screws loose?

The bearings are sealed. Adding lube should NOT help. If it does, that probably means the bearing are really, really shot, and you need to make a claim under your warranty. ( I wonder if adding lube could be used as an excuse to void the warranty).

3. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

A year ago, a new motor cost $29. Not sure what shipping costs, or if it's covered with warranty. I'd probably replace it myself, quicker and cheaper, no worries about shipping damage.

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Couple quick thoughts:
    1.) Vertigo Drones, a site sponsor, currently has the motors for $24.99, and I don't think they charge shipping.
    2.) Changing the motor out requires some soldering. The wires are relatively large, as drones go, and would be pretty easy normally, but these are in a tight space. You have to do the soldering INSIDE the plastic motor housing. Be careful, or you can imagine the consequences.
    3.) If it's just the motor mount screws too loose, don't get carried away with tightening. The bolts go through rubber cushions to cut down on vibration. If you overtighten, you split the cushions, and that's bad..
    The idea is to use some version of "loc-tight" on the threads, and tighten them down firmly, but not like you're cranking down on a head gasket or something.

5. Kieth Kiesel

Kieth Kiesel New Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Male
    Washington state
    I would recommend that you use Loctite 425 as it is made for plastics.

6. Ouimont

Ouimont New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Motors are relatively cheap, buy one and check if replacing it fixes it, if not I would send it in for the warranty.

7. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    Hey Crash, welcome to the forum. Back up the carriage for a minute. Your original post said
    "less than 45 mins flight"
    Wow, where did you get that from? You'll be lucky to get 20 min flight, and even then you'll be pushing your Li-Po battery to it's limit (meaning shortening life). Hope it's not too late for this post to help.