LETTER FROM THE FAA, GOT THIS TODAY

Discussion in 'News' started by Mario Rodriguez, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mario Rodriguez

Dec 24, 2016
    Male
    Photo/videographer
    Miami, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hurricane Michael: Information for Drone Operators
    The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning drone owners and operators that they will be subject to significant fines that may exceed $20,000 and civil penalities if they interfere with emergency response operations in the areas affected by Hurricane Michael.

Many aircraft that are conducting life-saving missions and other critical response and recovery efforts are likely to be flying at low altitudes over areas affected by the storm. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may unintentionally disrupt rescue operations and violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.

Government agencies with an FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) or flying under Part 107, as well as private sector Part 107 drone operators who want to support response and recovery operations, are strongly encouraged to coordinate their activities with the local incident commander responsible for the area in which they want to operate.

If drone operators need to fly in controlled airspace or a disaster TFR to support the response and recovery, operators must contact the FAA’s System Operations Support Center (SOSC) by emailing 9-ATOR-HQ-SOSC@faa.gov the information they need to authorize access to the airspace. Coordination with the SOSC may also include a requirement that a drone operator obtain support from the appropriate incident commander.

Here’s the information the FAA may require:

• the unmanned aircraft type
    • a PDF copy of a current FAA COA
    • the pilot’s Part 107 certificate number
    • details about the proposed flight (date, time, location, altitude, direction and distance to the nearest airport, and latitude/longitude)
    • nature of the event (fire, law enforcement, local/national disaster, missing person) and the pilot’s qualification information.
    [​IMG]

2. YorkState

YorkState New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Instead of constricting it, I feel like they could appeal to Drone owners for aid in rescue or scouting operations.

3. Junior013

Junior013 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Male
    They do have professional companies specializing in Search and Rescue, and with experience in disaster response flying drones there. However, of course they cannot let just anyone fly a drone there as it could interfere with their operations.

4. Mario Rodriguez

Dec 24, 2016
    Male
    Photo/videographer
    Miami, FL
    The letter is meant to keep bozos from wildly flying with no reason other than "capturing the moment" Municipalities will hire professionals only part 107 pilots, as the letter states, it does say that IF you are flying you must present all your information etc etc, in the words make it official and prove you are not there to get in the way of rescue and recovery missions by first responders. It is also stated clearly that there will be many aircraft flying at low altitudes. Drone owners are not being prohibited from flying, just recreational flyers as there are many pros that make a living with their drones and are experienced in the discipline. And just to clear things up, I am not a pro or a 107 pilot ....yet, so I cannot have "fun" either.

5. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    It appears that there are a few news agencies that are using drones down there, see them on the news coverage every night..I wonder if they are working with search and rescue , or just getting news pictures...

6. Mario Rodriguez

Dec 24, 2016
    Male
    Photo/videographer
    Miami, FL
    Surely they are, news agencies know and follow the law for the most part. Showing video publicly for all (including the FAA) to see wouldn't be very smart. They must have filed their papers and gotten clearance, if not ..... OHOH!!

7. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Freedom of the press... An 'Unnamed' source...

I think everyone who paid $5 to register their drone, got that Email. Personal, it's just commonsense to not fly around a disaster like that. Not real smart to just walk around, lot of hidden dangers. I've personally seen a large tree fall, three days after the storm pass through town. Was out walking my dog, about a block away when it fell. If your watching your drone, or the screen, and walking, you probably aren't fully aware of what you step on either. Mostly though, instead of playing, there is a whole lot of work that needs to be done, and too few people. Still a lot of time to find and help survivors, should be a higher priority, than getting some shocking video footage for YouTube.

8. Mario Rodriguez

Dec 24, 2016
    Male
    Photo/videographer
    Miami, FL
    Totally agree, where are you located? guess close to ground zero.

9. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Near Orlando, couple hundred miles away. We didn't feel much of anything from the storm. It was a little too breezy to fly, but it's been that way for a month, light rain occasionally. I did prepare for it some though, storms do crazy things when they go through the gulf, pick up a lot of speed, sometimes change direction. Real shame they got hit so hard. Property near the beach is expensive, so a lot of people go cheap on the house, many were probably vacation homes originally. I couldn't imagine riding out any storm that close to the coast, too much water.

It's going to be quite a job searching for survivors, hopefully they have enough food and water to hold out for a week or so. Not all are going to be trapped, just no where to go, and walking might not be much of an option.

10. Drone60

Drone60 New Member

Aug 24, 2018
    For these types of operations, you also have to pass the FEMA course for emergency management. It's free to register, the course is easy, and the test is a piece of cake. You have to show your certificate of completion to those who are coordinating SAR or surveillance operations.

11. WIld Bill

WIld Bill Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Male
    Great! Yet Hillary, Comey and all the rest of the BUMS walk free yet these dummies are going to fine us thousands of dollars! How many THOUSANDS has Hillary been fined? Fine my ass! I've been an Airline Transport Rated pilot for 50+ years! These guys couldn't find their asses if it was handed to 'em on a silver platter!

12. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

No fines or jail time, not much of an investigation either, perk of the Democrat party. Trump really should have re-opened the Email Server investigation, not to mention get answer about when Amb. Stevens requested better security in Libya, before he was beaten, tortured, and murdered. We help liberate Libya, just a couple years before, why was security trusted to the locals so soon? Investigation only lasted a few months. Russian collusion has been going over two years, no end in sight, no evil alliance leaked, and the Washington has some serious plumbing problems.

Basically, everything is political anymore, not about the truth, the facts, or safety. It's what the most politicians can stuff in their secret, off-shore, bank accounts. Science has become such a joke anymore, no telling the facts from science fiction. Hurricane season is about over for the year, but Climate Change made this the worst season on record? I've lived down here for over 30 years, seen much worse. Michael was a mean storm, but I think a lot of the damage was poor construction and planning. Being right on the beach doesn't help, been like that forever. A lot of the flooding past couple of years wasn't Climate Change, it was that people don't spend the money to maintain and update the storm drainage. People want new malls, more road, parking lots, but they don't want to pay to provide a place for storm water to go. How often does a bad storm come through anyway. Besides, there is always insurance and FEMA money to rebuild with...

The FAA is political, they will do what ever the people funding them, tells them they need to do. They did their initial job, decades ago, made air travel safe. No they are really scraping, to justify their continued existence. Drones and hobby aircraft are completely different than manned flight, and shouldn't be treated the same. Hate to say it, but regulated by an independent agency.

13. YorkState

YorkState New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    That makes more sense, I'm not well versed with the US laws. This should help regulate things, the fines seem extremely large though.