C-GO3 Lightroom profile?

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by JohanS, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Hi!
    Has anyone got a Lightroom lens profile for the CGO3? I'm getting some pretty bad fisheye distortion on my DNG stills.

I've tried to google for one, but to no avail.

Allt the best,
    Johan

trick_monkey likes this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    You might have to do a manual adjust and save it as a custom setting. Its funny your getting fisheye with your camera. You might want to talk to CS at yuneec about it.

3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    I remembered the the SENSOR used in the CGO3("the digital film" beneath the lens if you will) is a sony IMX177. I know my lightroom has three sony lens corrections. Maybe one of them will work? There a ton of them. Never really look at how many there where till you posted your question.

4. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Thanks for the replies. I've attached an image that shows what I'm on about. The horizon is very curved.

I don't think using a Sony sensor profile would be enough, since it's the optics in front of the sensor that decides what the distortion looks like.

The only way would be to create a new profile which is a very elaborate process of taking a pictures of chequered patterns and then pulling a myriad of sliders etc :)

I'll investigate some more and if I can't find a profile, I'll try to make one. It's a shame Adobe only have made a profile for the cgo2 so far :)

Attached Files:

5. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    I found depending on camera pitch you can get better horizon results. I find the fisheye effect on the cgo3 to be very minimal. Only very long distance shots in DNG I find have a curvature but I would think that natural.

6. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Other than your picture being a little over saturated at least to me it looks just fine. Hard to tell there is any fisheye in that photo. Top part looks all foggy and hard to make out the horizon but still looks good to me. Maybe I'm just not that hard to please :)

7. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    The saturation is my work, not the camera's "fault" :) Also the foginess isn't the cameras fault. The was a slight drizzle in the air yesterday.

I've attached another uncropped example that might show the problem better. The barrel distortion is pretty severe. While some people aren't that bothered by it (you apparently being one) it, I am :) The horizon should be straight, damn it! :)

Anyway, I'll give creating a Lightroom CGO3 profile a go. The process is outlined here: http://www.adobe.com/special/photos...ile_creator/lensprofile_creator_userguide.pdf

It's seems to be an elaborate process but I hope I'll manage... If I have any success I'll of course post the finished lens profile on the forum.

Attached Files:

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    This was taken with my cgo3. Looking out at the sleeping giant on Lake Superior. It is 24 miles across the bay and yes there is a slight fisheye but to me that is not a problem. Doing a manual adjustment of the horizon would fix it. YUN00010.jpg

9. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Same photo with a couple of light room adjustments
    1 Fix.jpg

10. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    You get good results, but I still prefer to have a ready made profile that automatically takes care of both vignetting and distortion.

Anyway, I'm half way there. I've created a profile that will take care of the distortion at least, but it does go overboard on correcting the vignetting, probably because my lighting setup wasn't ideal when shooting the test pattern image. I suggest you pull the Vignette slider under the lens profile selection menus way down.

I've attached the profile to this post along with two example images showing comparing the profile on and off. Lightroom should automatically detect the DNG EXIF data and apply the correct profile if you choose to apply a lens correction to your image.

Me being on Windows 10 and Adobe CC 2015, the default location for the cgo3.lcp is:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Any Mac users out there are free to chime in on where to save it :)

Attached Files:

DavidB, Arbutus and Jagerbomb52 like this.
  11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Got it work on my 64bit system but my older 32 bit system just does not want to play nice.
    Thanks

12. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Male
    Thanks a lot for this free lens correction tool. I just downloaded RawTherapee and it's a handful to figure out all of the settings. Being able to use this saves me a heck of a lot of time. God bless!