Local "Fake" news story

Discussion in 'News' started by HarveyH54, Nov 6, 2018.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/a-security-threat-lurks-in-the-sky-around-oia/867204333

Think it's time to find another news channel... I can understand Orlando International Airport looking for ways to grab some free government cash, but sort of doubt the statistics listed. Don't think we have drones that can fly 260 MPH, to chase manned aircraft. Who lot of incidents, but at the speed commercial flights are going, and how tiny hobby drones are in comparison, they'd have to be getting real close to a window, to be identified as a drone. A "sighting" couldn't possibly last more than a blink of the eye. Chasing and playing games with a manned aircraft would take a whole lot of practice and skill, to come even close, intentionally. Some fool, who would make such an investment, risk fines and jail time, or at the very least, make an attorney happy, would be one to post videos online (and get caught). What's the point, if you can't brag, get the recognition?

Really surprised that there aren't Dash Cams for planes, video saved on the flight recorders, or even a seperate 'Black-Box'. Pretty sure there are a lot of pilot/ground control related incidents, which get spun into the weather/mechanical category, to protect the public confidence. Personally, they need pictures to prove it, or it didn't happen. Vision isn't always accurate, our minds tend to fill in the blanks, when surprised by unexpected things. I've had a Dash Cam on my vehicle over ten years now. Caught a few strange things over the years, even posted a few videos on YouTube. Only had one accident, but the video saved me a whole lot of legal-grief. Guy on a motorcycle, passed me (stange, no-passing zone), cut in very close in front of me, hit his brakes. I was driving to work, didn't expect to get passed, specially in such a place. If he was in such a hurry, why hit the brakes, so close? He got rear-ended, thrown from the motorcycle, messed up pretty good. Motorcycle totaled, my car caught fire (totaled). Didn't pursue the loss of the car, nice car, a Grand Prix, but figured it cost more to recover anything, and long time waiting for a check. The man had plenty of more pressing problems.

This news story is weak on facts, shouldn't have been ran like that. Purely political and financially motivated, no proof to backup any of the claims, no sources listed.

2. Ouimont

Ouimont New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Wow this is the second article im reading this week painting drones as a bad image. That's terrible, I don't know what kick these media outlets get from it.

3. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Male
    [QUOTE="HarveyH54, post: 65648, member: 9373"

First we need to STOP calling them "DRONES", drones drop bombs. Have you been dropping bombs on your neighbor? No,...I didn't think so. Quadcopter works just fine. Second, people don't know what a Quadcopter or a "Drone" is. They hear about them being used in the military and jump to conclusions. I've known a couple of airline pilots in my time they will always let a joke get out of hand. And when it does they disclaim all knowledge, (They have to protect their FAA License). So if we use proper language and describe the capabilities of our Quadcopters correctly there won't be so much misinformation. One mans opinion.

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    According to the Canadian legislation governing UAV/drones, they are now officially called Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS) here in Canada. LOL

5. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Male

Sure, let's get complicated about it.

6. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Drones, like it or not, is what most people identify with, Quadcopter isn't as accurate, since quite a few have 6 rotors now days. Vast majority of people have never seen a military drone, rare to even see a picture or video (usually crashed). The military drones are airplanes, not multirotor, although they did use some DJI 'Drones' for a while, before learning that their location and usage was being shared by the firmware.

There are a lot of things, for which the accepted and commonly used term, isn't accurate, just the sort of world we live in, just roll with it, or complain about, but it's unlike to change anything. Drone was probably used as marketing, since military drones are cool, and have awesome abilities, long range, and weapons. Ours, are really toys, in comparison, but the coolness factor sells.

7. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Male

8. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Every since the quadcopters came out, everything radio controlled is being called a drone , especially if it has a camera on board.......Just about everybody I talk to who does not fly them, think we are spying on everybody.....I fly at around 200 feet when not over my own property and that high with my Q500 4K, I can't even determine if a person is a man or a woman, let alone what they are doing, I am just taking scenery pictures....but they all think we are spying on them.....of course they forget that just about everybody they see these days has a camera in their hand and they are ready to use it anytime,,Smartphones spy on you more that these high flying drones ever could...and they do.......the police can even track you by tracking your cell phone, and recording all your information right from your phone...now which one is really spying on you, your phone or that little toy drone ?

Codestar7 likes this.
  9. PJP

PJP Active Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Male
    99% Retired & Lovin' It!
    Florida USA

LOL- "In one case, a pilot spotted a drone being flown at an altitude of 51,000 feet, the report said."

Wow - someone has a heck of a controller to pull that off.

Codestar7 likes this.
  10. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Male
    Excellent point, Ditto that!

11. Codestar7

Codestar7 Active Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Male
    This is just more fantasy, fear generator, equating military planes that drop bombs with remote control toys.

12. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    and it was probably 20 miles away too......