Locate local Airports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Hoegen, Dec 21, 2015.

1. David Hoegen

David Hoegen Active Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Photography specialty 360 Virtual Tours
    Dudley, MA USA
    I have lived in this town for over 10 years. Just the other day I saw a Helicopter landing just two streets away from my house. I looked and this guy has a heliport on his front lawn. (i will get pictures) It got me wondering how many airports, helipads are near me. Am i braking the FAA regs. So i'm in the US and went to the FAA website. Search and search and could not find how to find airports or helipads. Then i stumbled onto a news article names "So you think you have a helipad?" Well it tell you how to do the paperwork so you can have one. But it also had a link to http://www.airnav.com/airports/ Here I look and it listed all airports and helipads and locations.
    So I have been doing my flights legally.

2. mrburns

mrburns Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2015
    Male
    Leicestershire United Kingdom
    Tell your neighbour to check in with you before flying in/out. :)

If he is flying a helicopter he can afford the phone call.
    :)

David Hoegen and Jagerbomb52 like this.
  3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Almost every town, city ,village has helipads. I have one in our small village of 500 people. Its used by the air ambulance. You need to know where these are as they are considered no fly zones. I also have a unmanned airfield up the road where private planes and altra light aircraft take off and land. This is not a no fly zone but they are more dangerous than commercial planes. At least once a day they buzz the village. I know one of the pilots and he laughs about it. They are breaking the rules all the time. Our big attraction is the falls up the road, many times I see the planes and helicopters go in for the best photo shot. Another NO NO.

4. David Hoegen

David Hoegen Active Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Photography specialty 360 Virtual Tours
    Dudley, MA USA
    Im going to talk with him tomorrow. Maybe i will get a ride. I love Helicopters.
    As for the no fly zone: It only a no fly zone if the are registered with the FAA. After talking with the local airport they said most of the hospitals are not registered. The FAA don't bother with them because its on the ground.
    But I will get locked up if i fly my 0.56LB copter one foot of the ground. LOL

5. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I have the phone number of my nearby airport, in case I need to fly near it.

The big deal is, if you hear a plane - DUCK!

6. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Feb 21, 2019