Q500 4K Maintenance

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by PilotRichard, Aug 7, 2018.

1. My Q500 is new, but how long should I go before I need to open up Aircraft and change Speed Controllers or Motors ?

2. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    They should last a long time (years) as long as you take care of them. The thing that kills speed controllers (ESC) and motors is getting too hot, which is caused by too much current (amps). After a normal flight, imediately after landing, feel each motor with your fingers. They should feel warm but not so hot that you can't keep your fingers on it. Let things cool down before next flight. And don't try to lift heavy loads with your quad, that will increase amps thru ESC and motors.

Oh, and know that these motors are "brushless" (AC) motors rather than the old "brushed" (DC) motors we used to see in RC aircraft. Brushless motors last much longer than brushed.
    Hope this helps.

PilotRichard and rmcoy like this.
  3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Other then what beachcomber said get yourself a can of that compressed air used to clean computers. Give the motor areas a shot every once in a while to blow out the dust and dirt. Don't get it wet and it should last you a very long time.

rmcoy likes this.
  4. rmcoy

rmcoy New Member

May 10, 2017
    Male
    SPAIN
    I was looking for information and your comments have helped me. Thank you

5. Thanks for info., you gots to love these Forums, as I've been able to get every question answered from other Pilots quickly. I am even getting very quick positive Customer Service from Yuneec USA also, regarding the ST12 TX Ground Station included, ever needing Firmware Updates (they dont). Yuneec USA even gave explicit instructions on how to change 400' Alt. limit and Geo Fence.