Mantis G?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    Does anybody know when the Mantis G will be available? Looks very tempting. It's getting difficult for me to lug my Q500s and my Typhoon H around and I'm probably going to give them to someone. Calibrating them is painful due to arthritis and bursitis and "oldies" and the Mantis G has got to be easier to calibrate, as well as carry around.

2. lowoctane

lowoctane New Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Keep me in the loop sir! ;)

3. PJP

PJP Active Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Male
    99% Retired & Lovin' It!
    Florida USA
    Well, hey Luke. You're still around...and still old, I see. Well - I should talk - Medicare starts in November for me! Still flying my Q500 also. :cool:

Phil

Luke likes this.
  4. Luke

Luke Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    My wife got me a Mantis G for an early Christmas present. It will be here is a couple of days and I can't find a source on Best Buy or anywhere to purchase spare batteries for the G.

Has anyone bought one of these yet and if so, do you know where someone might buy batteries and smart chargers?

5. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Does anyone know if the Mantis G battery is the same as the Mantis Q battery?

Luke likes this.
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    I forgot to add, due to back problems, bursitis in both shoulders, arthritis and a "heapin' helping of Multiple Sclerosis, I just can't fly my larger UAVs and I am donating my 4 Yuneec Q500 4K drones to a search and rescue organization and thus the reason for "downsizing" to the Mantis G.

I'd love to get my hands on some Mantis G batteries and determine if someone makes a "smart charger" for the battery in the Mantis G. The smart chargers I used on my Q500 4Ks made life (and flying drones) so much less complicated and more enjoyable.

7. Luke

Luke Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    Mantis G Update

I am not able to find info that I was looking for. Nobody anywhere has batteries for sale for the Mantis G nor do I have any confidence now that someone has a smart charger for the batteries for the Mantis G (or will even bother to develop them.)

I decided to download what I thought was software for my iPhone that would work with the Mantis G, however after the download, it seems after this app is only compatible with the Mantis Q. I called the number listed in the app for "Yuneec USA" and got a message the number is out of service.

No info about the battery, Yuneec no longer having customer support here, I will probably go to our local Best Buy store on Thursday when the Mantis G arrives and decline my package and ask for a refund.

I own 4 Yuneec Q500 4Ks and a Typhoon H and have been a big supporter of Yuneec products, but this poor effort to launch the Mantis G, and the "mystery" why nobody can find apps for the G, spare batteries, nor USA support will probably motivate me to go with "Brand X."

8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    From a little google searching I was able to find this:

"The batteries are interchangeable and the sizes are very similar, although slightly different due to the newer camera gimbal on the G. The YuneecPilot app has been getting a lot of updates in the last month to incorporate and improve the functionality of the G model."

I'm guessing with something so new there might be a shortage of parts.

Luke likes this.
  9. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Texas
    I'm feeling better now!

Off to Best Buy this evening to pick up my new Mantis G. I'm afraid though my wife will snatch it away from me (I can't drive tonight due to surgery yesterday) and after she snatches the Mantis G from the clerk at Best Buy, It gets wrapped with a bow and I'll be like a kid thinking, "Why is Christmas sooooo far away?"

WTFDproject likes this.