C-GO3 Mechanical operation question

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by kraken, Mar 7, 2018.

1. kra

kraken New Member

Hi,

I have a question about the gimbal movement. On my CGO3, if you tilt the camera up or down (like to get to the sd card) there is a sort of "bump" near the location where the camera would be level to horizon. Is this normal? I noticed if I remotely tilt the camera up, it bounces off of this bump and looks really bad in my footage, if it gets over the bump, its stuck and I have to land the drone and manually tilt the camera back down again.

Is that bump necessary? If not, (or if its got a problem) how can I remove it?

--- On a similar note.

I crashed my previous Q500 and have been trying to rebuild the camera. It notice there is no "bump" but can't be sure if that is because it was damaged.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Dallas_Auth-SVC

Dallas_Auth-SVC Member

With the power off, it should move fully and very freely end to end in any direction without bumps or tight places.
    With the power on, it should always try to hold in a position defined by the camera control, and should be straight and level in the other two axes.

Is the camera or its armature in any way brushing against itself? Causing a bind?

3. kra

kraken New Member

Thanks for the response. Upon visual inspection there is nothing that can be seen to cause the "bump". It actually clicks, which is why I thought it might be deliberate. I've been using the repaired camera without the bump and it seems to have no adverse affect on its operation. I guess I'll have to take it apart and find the source of the issue.

4. Dallas_Auth-SVC

Dallas_Auth-SVC Member

might be a wire moved out of place and catching on something in the ball section. Some little plastic edge can also get caught in the side near the bearing, but these should not really happen - mostly I see it where the gimbal was taken apart and not put back together carefully. So, remove the halves of the ball, have a look inside, it probably will be visible what's going on that way.

5. kra

kraken New Member

Yep...that was it. Took it apart and the grounding ribbon had folded over and was catching the housing. I tucked it back inside and assembled the housing. Works without issue.

It was an interesting snag. Seemed like it was by design. Something to consider from an engineer point of view.

6. Dallas_Auth-SVC

Dallas_Auth-SVC Member

I think it was just an unintentional design artifact.

You fixed it though, right? Camera working right again? I've thought about trying to spot a tiny bit of hot glue or something in there, not sure if it is practical.

7. kra

kraken New Member

I should have photographed the problem. It was really hard to see. When you remove the cover there is a metallic fabric ground strap about 7mm wide, as thin as silk wrapped around the brass bearing mount. I think during assembly it just got folded over and pinched down by the housing. This fold simply flapped as the stop tabs inside the gimbal arm covers rotated past. I easily tucked the fabric back inside the camera housing and screwed it back together. Not need for glue, just attention to reassembly. Camera works fine.

I hope this helps someone if they run across the same issue.

Cheers