Motor controller repair - I noticed this (eek)

Discussion in 'Help' started by Webbsolution, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Webbsolution

Webbsolution New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Male
    I have been given a Q500 that was involved in a "gravitational induced event" (crashed) In the crash a motor was destroyed but the Quad came with a new one and I soldered it up today. However a close inspection of the motor controller has revealed what appears at face value, to be a soldering mistake. The previous owner is not alive so I can not ask him how this came to be. It appears one of the chips has 3 of the pins shorted by a bit of solder. (See picture) I assume this to be a mistake that will need resolution but in the odd chance that this is some kind of a factory modification, I thought I would ask for validation before I buy a solder vacuum and attempt this repair. This is a mistake that needs correcting right ?

Attached Files:

WTFDproject likes this.
  2. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

No, no problem. The four pins on this side of the chip (Power MOSFET pin 5-8) are one rail that goes to the motor coil. On the other side three right pins (1-3) are gound and the left one pin is the gate (pin 4).

Those MOSFETs have three connections: Source (pins 1-3), Drain (pins 5-8) and Gate (pin 4). Pin 1 is that one with the dot on the chip and the white rectangle on the board.

br HE

WTFDproject likes this.
  3. Webbsolution

Webbsolution New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Male
    wow - so this was a factory design ?

I was told by another guy that this was a problem and to remove it...So I used solder wick on that and cleaned it up. so now do I need to bridge them or can I leave it clean ?

WTFDproject likes this.
  4. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

You can leave it clean. The connection is made on the board itself (this Drain goes to motor wire B). This mass of solder should not be there but if so, it makes no difference.

br HE

WTFDproject likes this.
  5. Webbsolution

Webbsolution New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Male
    Thank you for your reply and assistance.

WTFDproject likes this.