motor idle creeps up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rancherman, Jan 2, 2016.

1. rancherman

rancherman Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Male
    rancher/cowman
    nebraska
    Last night, I was fooling around with my Q+, and figured I had 2 fully charged bats, I might as well let it sit in front of me while watching TV, and let it idle to take the full charge off the bat. I don't know when I'll fly again, so I wanted at least 1 battery close to the half charged mark.

Funny thing happened! little by little, the rpm crept up.. and in about 5 minutes, it was getting really 'light'!!! Stopped the motors and restarted.. same thing. After about 5 minutes, she was getting ready to snoop around the house on it's own!
    I don't see this as a problem, but was curious to why it may not hold a constant idle.
    Maybe there is a problem with esc's??

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Hmmm I have had mine speed up a bit and than slow back down. Kind of like up and down just sitting there. I had no props on at the time. Strange that yours just kept speeding up.

3. rancherman

rancherman Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Male
    rancher/cowman
    nebraska
    #3 rancherman, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    LOL.. I know! I mean, it's a cheap way to burn off a battery, but dang! don't just fire it up and walk away!! It may or may not be there when I return! :D

I just thought of another possibly related 'symptom'.. last couple of flights I'd go up, say 100 feet or a little more. when I wanted to come back down, it was coming down a lot slower than before.
    Rate Of Descent. (even in rabbit mode) and full stick 'down'. Angle mode too. I checked the st10 and the sticks are full 99-100 on the 'travel'. I didn't time it, but 1 foot per second seemed a lot slower than before. a minute and a half to come down from 100 feet is way off from what it used to be.
    This all seemed to come up after I did the accelerometer recalibration after my crash..

4. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia
    try going foward during descent...should help faster speed for coming down...

5. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    What are you talking about, are you sure you read this post?

6. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia
    my reply above for rancherman saying that descent rate quite slow even with the left stick fully down.... ;)

rancherman likes this.
  7. rancherman

rancherman Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Male
    rancher/cowman
    nebraska
    I think I see what is going on,.. coming straight down, I was getting a slight wobble, (vortex ring state) and by moving ahead will get me out of the turbulence, which the bird will be more stabile..
    The stabilized bird will drop faster. (motors aren't trying desperately to keep her flat)

8. tonycap

tonycap New Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Male
    I just had the same thing happen to me! good thing i had 25 lbs of weight on the legs.
    It idles fine for a few mins then you can here the slow creep up on the motors. About 7 mins it it wanted to take off. It only took like 1-2 seconds to go from fast idle to full on.

Crazy..

9. Glen Janota

Glen Janota New Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Male
    Hey this is Glenn J from Texas fairly new to the sport been flying about 6 months maybe 7. I was reading an old post from rancherman and he talked about his drone speeding up on its own while sitting in the living room with no props the question was never truly answered but some advice was given on how to bring the Drone down in an angle to make The Descent quicker. But the question of the q500 speeding up on its own wasn't answered does anybody have a clue what's going on mine is doing the same thing thanks for all your help not too many people in my area in Winnie Texas fly it's nice to have you guys out there to ask for help thanks again

10. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=". But the question of the q500 speeding up on its own wasn't answered does anybody have a clue what's going on [/QUOTE]

It's fairly normal for them to spin up when idling without props. No real load, and it takes very little signal imbalance to get a noticeable result. Same thing can happen with props on, but takes more to have an effect. The issue comes mainly from slightly out of cal altimeter and/or accelerometer. The drone "thinks" it's moving, and is trying to compensate. Calibration may help. I don't do the altimeter unless I have to. Too easy to get condensation in places you don't want it.

11. Glen Janota

Glen Janota New Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Male
    Thanks a bunch,that seemed to sooth it out. I cannot believe it but I just got 31 Sats. No BS!!! I think I'm going to calibrate every flight before flying from now on!! What the heck, it only takes a couple minutes of my life. Better then spending 30 minutes trying to find all the pieces. Happy Hovering! Glen J