My 2nd Outdoor flight with Breeze4k - into LAKE :(

Discussion in 'Help' started by Mike R, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Mik

Mike R New Member

Hi All,
    Recently bought a Breeze 4K and used PILOT MODE to do my first flight outdoors - worked like a charm. But, on my 2nd outdoor flight at our lake home in NY, I apparently lost control/contact with drone as it flew away from me and failed to respond to controls using the app on my iPad. It flew out over our lake, flying further and further away, then gracefully landed IN THE WATER AND SANK :(. I had downloaded and installed latest firmware. I am considering buying a new one, but before I do I want to understand what might have happened, what I might have done wrong etc. I was under the assumption that if the drone lost wireless contact with iPad, that it would return to wherever it took off from. Is that true? Does it apply to Pilot Mode? Are there some preliminary steps one has to perform to teach drone where it's "home" position is? What is the wireless range of the Breeze? I think I read 300'? That seems like a very limited range. Our friend, a professional photographer, flew her expensive drone over our lake at much greater distances than 300' without any issues. Granted, her drone was probably over $1000, but I would think the wifi range should be similar amongst most drones, no? She did have to perform a number of preflight steps - including one to teach it where to return to in the event of a problem...

A very sad drone newbie :(

Mike

Hdchopper113 likes this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Being a selfie drone I would imagine the distance is not all that far. I think its Geo fenced on height at 80 meters but people say they lose video feed long before that. Is not pilot mode the mode you would use inside? Not sure as I have not read the manual. If it is then it does not use the GPS and there would be no return to home feature and thats why it just went where ever the wind took it after you lost connection. It ran out of power and just landed and sank.
    Perhaps I'm wrong as I don't own one.

unlocktender likes this.
  3. Mik

Mike R New Member

I think you're right that pilot mode is for indoor use, or if satellite reception is poor outdoors. I wanted to try the other modes, but the Breeze app only let me enter pilot mode. I guess I have a lot of reading to do. Too bad that when using pilot mode they don't display a warning that it's really meant for indoor use only. If I had seen any sort of warning I would held off using pilot mode outside. Maybe Yuneec can learn from my misfortune and improve their software so excited newbies like me don't lose their drone...

4. Mik

Mike R New Member

Hmmm, not much feedback in this forum section, maybe I should post again in a different section?

5. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator Staff Member

I would not create another thread. If you think this belongs somewhere else ask a moderator to possibly move it. Alot of us discourage duplicates on the same subject.

It might be that you are not getting much reponse because the Breeze is a fairly new product and not many of the users on here own it yet.

You might find some additional Breeze Information at this site:

http://yuneecpilots.com/forums/breeze-discussion.35/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Olufemi Animashaun likes this.
  6. gno

gnomad Member

Pilot mode is for people that know how to pilot their birds. You should know the limitations and watch out for them. I would never fly a selfie drone over water, in fact I would never fly any drone over water unless you can afford a new one. Things go wrong with flying toys that are NOT designed by aeronautical engineers, hence why the FAA stepped in!
    You can fly in pilot mode with or without GPS lock. Now if you didn't wait for lock before flying, than you got the classic fly away that DJI made famous with early Phantoms, actually moronic phantom pilots.
    Just remember 99% of aircraft crashes are pilot error!

7. Dun

Duncan New Member

I just got mine and so far no problem with it. You either turned off the GPS or you do not have good GPS reception and only the manual pilot will be available. Until the drone gets proper GPS signal, (all the functions should be available in the phone), the drone will not be able to lock on to the take off position.

I think the return home function should work even if you are in manual pilot mode as long as you have properly lock-on to the take off position by the GPS but have not tested it out yet.

The range for these kind of selfie drone should be around 100m. These are more for selfie photos or videos. Sorry to hear that you lost your drone just on the second flight.

I had a crash once and its still flying as usual. This one is well built and should last a while. Based on what's available now, if I lost this one I will definitely get another one as I think this is the best selfie drone out there at this size, price point and video quality.