My old computer can't handle 4k playback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brandx, Jul 10, 2016.

1. brandx

brandx Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Typhoon h video playback was skipping ,yuneec advised change camera to film in 1080 and it solved the problem.What kind of system do I need to handle 4k playback . Computer ,laptop etc.... Thanks.

P.S I have a 5 yr old computer.Windows.

2. midego

midego Administrator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Anything (most) 700$+ computers should be able to play it nowadays.

3. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    How much memory, what kind of graphics card, how fast is the hard drive. For 4K I would suggest a fast 4 core processor, at least 8gb ram, and a fast graphics processor card with at least 2gb of ram. For a hard drive you want nothing slower than 7200rpm. You might also want to make sure the latest codecs are installed for your player,

4. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia
    use divX movie player or any other 4k capable player

5. sh44

sh44 Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Hell, my brand new Win10 HP 'Mediacentric' can't play 4K. Switched to 1080 as noted - smooth as silk.

6. ^pomen_GTR^

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia

u need to download dedicated player...

or atleast update your windows media player with latest k-lite codec pack...that should do fine....my old rusty pc plays 4k without trouble....

7. sh44

sh44 Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Would that be Basic, Standard, Full or Mega? None of them, by the way, show as supporting "4K".
    (I'm way out of my element with that stuff.) :)

Oh and, what would be a good dedicated player? All I have on this claptrap is Win Media Player.
    I've also been having trouble trying to install any new apps from the Store. It says "starting download", sits there grinding endlessly & nothing ever happens. I've had 3 apps stuck in the que for 2 weeks now. Tried all the online "Help" (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa!!!!!) suggestions I could find - ran the wreset, store clean & reset, &c. Nothing. Just like jillions of others. POS!

8. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    #8 dwiener, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Windows Media Player wont even load an mp4 on my win 7 machine, Quicktime plays them dropping lots of frames but VLC plays them smooth a silk, This an i7 with 32gb ram, and nvidia graphics with 2gb ram

9. ^pomen_GTR^

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia
    try the full and mega pack....

well, for win10, usually on my colleague's pc i wont download the apps via app store...just manually download .exe installer i need...

vlc player is ok..but can stutter a bit on slower machine (need some setting tweak guide for 4k playback...u can google this tweak method)

but i've personally use divX player with 100% success rate..no trouble at alls playing 4k vids

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx

u definately need to download and install some codec ;) try the k-lite full codec pack or mega codec pack

10. TipsyMcStagger

Jun 30, 2016
    Male
    A lot of computers cannot handle 4K playback or editing. You should record at 1080p, it will be a lot easier.

11. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    [QUOTE="u definately need to download and install some codec ;) try the k-lite full codec pack or mega codec pack[/QUOTE]
    No it only seems to be the 4k mp4's. Other mp4s work fine. But I agree on missing codec. But QT and VLC play them so I'm not sure where it's missing from.

12. sh44

sh44 Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Yeah, thanks guys for the info. Re the 'Mega' et al packs, I saw in the fine print they weren't standalone & only worked with the base program already installed. As suggested, I'll just stay with recording at 1080; it works fine, & I can't see the difference on a LARGE HD tv screen that'll play the 4K. Easy-Peasy-Pudd'n & Pie! :D

OH, & btw, early this morning I found a fix for the 'stuck-in-store-pending' bug. A simple deletion of 2 folders in the SoftwareDistribution folder, & voila! So far, so good, & hard drive failure likely due in 10....9....8....
    ;)

^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  13. ^pomen_GTR^

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Architect
    Malaysia

yeap k-lite codec pack will detect what media player u got in the system (including windows media player)

14. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    You might find MPC HC will play back 4K, a friend asked me the other day to look at his laptop as he could not play back 4K using VLC, I went through several players trying each one , and for some reason the only one that played back 4k on his laptop was MPC HC 64bit.

So I would suggest trying all the media players you may be lucky give it a try.

https://mpc-hc.org/downloads/