Newbe here, wondering about my crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haas, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male
    I have a very nice Yuneec Q500 plus, that I just crashed. :( One of the four arms are broken, all four blades are trashed, and the camera came off when it hit the ground. The entire gimbal is off the bird, and the camera has some cracks in its housing.

I paid $475 for this drone off craigslist, I"m wondering is it worth fixing? Sending it to yuneec and what they will charge, I'm wondering if I'm facing repair charges that are just about as much as I paid for the drone.

What do you think?

2. Chewman

Chewman Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Male
    Wooler, Ontario Canada
    Man that sucks...sorry to hear about your luck...maybe the best thing would be to get a BNF (bind and fly) and save the one you have now for parts...your controller would still be good as long as you get another Q500

3. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Camera coming off isn't usually that bad. Mine snagged a powerline, camera popped off, rolled down the street aways. The housing is paper thin, not to tough to repair or replace. The camera pops off easy, held on by four rubber dampers, that's it, and a cable, in my case. Cable just pulled out. There were three thin black wires, that go to the contacts on top, but my Q500 didn't have them. If yo have the Steady Grip, it's simple enough to test the camera and gimbal.
    Blades break pretty easy. Think I've gone through nine so far, my first year... Replacing the body of the beast... It's $60-$70, depending on color, but the guts will fit either. Not a fun adventure, but I survived, and was successful, with no actual experience with multi rotor repair. Might want to watch some YouTube, search and read a few threads, not just here, but the entire web. See if it's within your skill set, and level of patience and persistence. Little tedious and frustrating at times. You should try patching it up enough, that you can attempt to power it up, make sure the electronics are good. Hook up the GUI, and see if the motors and ESCs are still good, $29 each.
    Can't hurt to call Yuneec, try and get a number for the nearest repair center, talk to an actual person. Don't trust voice mail, definitely not Email. Just replacing the shell, guessing over $200. Let us know if you get an estimate, curious about what they charge as well. My Q500 crashed again, Looking at over $200 in parts, and haven't opened up. Just not ready, mentally, to take that journey again, so soon. I've got a Q500+ to fly, so not in a rush.

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Do you have a yuneec dealer near you? I would take the camera to them and have them test it. If you need a new camera then the repair is going to cost more than you initial purchase.

5. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male
    Thanks Guys. I'm in way over my head to try repairing it myself. Don't have patience or time for it. I probably could If I had the time, but just don't have it. I"ll bite it if it cost a few hundred, but anymore than that, forget it. I'll get the parts and give it a go. From what I read, there's calibrations that could be off, and so should be looked at and repaired by trained personnel? Is that a legitimate concern? I'm in Wisconsin, so flying season is just about done for a number of months anyway.

6. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

The calibrations are common, anyone can do them, even encouraged to do them. Manual is online, and plenty of YouTube videos as well. The compass one is sort of weird, more of a strange ritual, lot of flipping and turning, in just a few seconds, set it down, and wait for the beep that tells you that you made it through in time, and it went well. The GUI will test the motors/ESC, and have you spin each by hand, in the correct direction.

The camera is a whole different story though. My first 4k gimbal died from a very minor crash (tipped over, little rough landing). All three axis are dead, which seems a little odd, but the camera still functions correctly. This when I bought the Q500+. Camera only does 1080p, which is what I was using on the 4K camera anyway. On the Q500, I flew for a while, with a little/cheap dashcam. Unbelievable, just how hard the gimbal works, to keep the video steady.

I'm more of a fix-it-myself guy, though if labor costs were in the $100 range, I'd be tempted. But considering cost of the parts I know I need, and shipping, I'd probably still do it myself. I'd want to ship it gently, and have some assurance it arrives, although the postal service buying me a new one would be better than repair...

7. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male
    Yikes, I'm going to send it to see what their estimate is. I don't even know what a gui is that you're talking about . I would love to be a fix it yourself type guy, but I own a machine shop that keeps me busy 24/7. I could probably make every part on the drone, but couldn't put it together. LOL!

8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Yuneec charges 80-90 bucks an hour plus parts. Our sponsor and a couple of others can do the repairs no problem.
    Most times if you can find one on ebay with just the quad or a refurbished one it is way cheaper then rebuilding.

9. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male
    Really, so you're basically saying that rebuilding is not worth the cost?

10. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

The GUI is the program for diagnosing and configuring the Q500. There is a connection inside the battery compartment, you attach a cable with a USB to it, plug it into the computer.

Between parts, and the labor (yours, or paying for), it's a judgement call on whether it's worth it to repair, or catch a deal on another bird. Each of mine were under $500. The Q500 with 4k camera was refurbished, the Q500+ was new. Basically, if you have the time, and sense for adventure, doing the work may appeal, and certainly bring down the cost, to just the parts. Got a hunch you have some studying to do, before, getting down to the actual work. I watch a lot of videos, and read through the posts on three different forums, before going for it. Even then, I still had to go back online a few times, just to be sure. Then there was on thing, that really frustrated me... There are these rubber dampers for the motors, with 4 post, knobs on the end to hold them in place, that need to be inserted through the plastic at the end of each arm. Not real thick and rugged rubber, and knob larger than the hole, by quite a bit. Wasn't going to be easy, and needed to be a little careful, not to tear the rubber. Had to be an easy way, 16 of those buggers to get through the plastic. No easy way, just patience and persistence. Like I said, it's an adventure, plenty of help and information available to complete it.

Haas likes this.
  11. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male
    Well, I appreciate all the wisdom here. Time would be the biggest inhibitor for me. This crash was so easily avoided, but I kinda panicked and froze. I guess I learned an expensive lesson.

12. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

If you can do the repairs yourself and depending on just what needs replacing and you have the skills to get the job done right the first time it might be worth it. If you have to send it out and pay labour and parts you might as well look for a good deal. They come up for sale on ebay from time to time. Camera alone will cost you well over 200 US bucks.

Haas likes this.
  13. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male

I'm kinda starting to think about tackling this myself. It may not be as bad as it looks. Camera housing has cracks and won't pivot up and down, but the camera itself may be intact. I just don't know. What a shame to just use this for parts only, if that's what I end up doing.

14. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Camera housing is cheap and easy to change out. It might be the camera has gone past its stops and they tend to get locked up in the up position. With a little gentle twist they sometimes break loose. When you say one of the four arms is broken is just cracked or is it snapped right off? If you need to do a complete frame replacement it is pretty basic stuff up until you need to desolder the ESC's. This is not a easy job even for someone who has done it before.
    If you have a local hobby shop ask them if they do repairs. They might give you a total price instead of charging you labour.
    I have changed out two frames and it is not something I look forward to.

15. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male

Shoot!! I was hoping it would be easier. Yes, the entire front left arm is completely broke off, hanging only by the wires.

16. EDF924

EDF924 New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Male
    I crashed my Q500, similar to your crash and needed to find a competent source for parts and assistance. It was a rare and pleasant experience to find that Carolina Dronz met and exceeded my expectations in every way. From the friendly and professional Natasha to the experienced technicians, I have never found a more fair pricing and professional service company, I would highly recommend Carolina Dronz for all of your drone parts and service.
    If you would like to check with them here is the phone number (864) 571-0468. Good luck.

17. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I crashed my Q500 4K a while back broke the props and the camera came off and there was a small crack in the body...now the camera is held on by a track, one track rail was broken , that track; is easy to replace, I bought two, one as a spare,the props of course ,are replaceable, the crack in the body was fixed with a little epoxy glue, right now ,looking at it and flying it, you can't even tell it ever crashed....As long as all the electronics are OK, the rest is easy to fix, parts are on line, and it helps you feel better about flying it, if you know you can fix it, yourself, when you crash..........sending it away to be repaired, you are right it may cost more than it is worth, labor costs are way high these days...this is a hobby, and it is great when you fix it yourself, you really feel like you have accomplished something.........and it makes the hobby even more fun..........fly safe and have fun.......

18. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

19. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male

Thanks for this info. I'll definitely check them out! Much appreciated.

20. Haas

Haas New Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Male