Newbe question taking pictures

Discussion in 'Photo's and Video's' started by maxndale, Sep 13, 2017.

1. maxndale

maxndale New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Male
    SW Michigan
    Just got the new drone. Typhoon 4k. However having a couple of issues I cant find an answer too.

First my new battery will not charge it shows a solid red (error_ light).

Second when i get up to 150 feet plus altitude the camera will not take a picture. It gives the shutter sound and the a red error message on the top of the screen saying something like unable to capture picture. If I am on the ground or 10-20 feet off the ground it snaps pictures no problem.

Third what would be a good battery that doesnt break the bank for some extras?

Thanks in advance,

dale from Michigan

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Battery charger... Have you checked the fuse? Seems to be the common issue with the red light. Not sure, if it's just the one battery that does this. I stopped using the stock charger, when my first battery went bad, after only 2 months. I bought a refurbished 4k, so could have been pre-abused. Batteries are kind of expensive to replace every few months, so bought a different charger, when I replaced the battery. SkyRC D100 is a dual charger, with a screen that tells you whats going on during the charging, many modes, charge any kind of battery too. It' $99 dollars, and it's the same as several other brands, not sure who's the original, who's the rebrand, who's the knockoff, but all seem to get good reviews Mines solid, never failed or glitched. Find a manual online, check it out. I went with Gifi Power 7500 batteries, only found good thing about this brand, and had them about 6 months, and still working well. Really no significant increase in flight time, but I don't fly until I get a low battery warning, before coming home to land. I try to be on the ground, before a warning. Gifi also makes 5400 battery, haven't tried, or remember the price. The 7500s I bought, were $75 each, free shipping, from China, ordered factory direct. Took about 3 weeks to arrive at my door. Think there are some cheaper brands, and most are probably fine. Tough to tell if it's the battery, or the pilot that failed. Think most are probably made in the same factories, just rebranded. Probably some on Ebay, that are factory rejects, but tested to work, 'sort-of'.

Camera issue... Tough, haved done pictures, and usually start video on take-off. Can always grab pictures out of the video. The sun is too bright here, to clearly see the screen, so I just hope to pick up something good in the video. Does seem odd, that you can't take pictures at a distance, but works fine close up.

3. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    @maxndale Get the GiFi 7500 Battery it can be ordered from Carolina Dronz:

https://carolinadronz.com/collectio...ducts/gifi-7500mah-yuneec-battery-replacement

while you are at it get a good charger from Carolina Dronz:

https://carolinadronz.com/collectio...tec-x2-ac-plus-dual-charger-ac-dc-high-output

To answer your Second Question if you were taking video, you must stop video to take a picture. Recording Video and hitting the Picture Button would give you the error message you received.

4. maxndale

maxndale New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Male
    SW Michigan
    thank you for the replies great information. I have recieved an email from Yuneec as soon as I send my bill of sale and model and serial number they said they will send me another battery.

Thanks again for all the info.

Dale

5. maxndale

maxndale New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Male
    SW Michigan
    Anyone know if the new charger tec x2 may charge that battery that is solid red on the stock charger?

6. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

The X2 is the same charger, as my D100, different label. Do you have two batteries, one that chargers on the stock, and the other flashes red? Or is it just the one battery? Do you have a voltage meter, and can check to see how many volts it reads. If it's too low, it's rejected as bad, even though it might still be recovered. Read an article online about it, months ago, have to look an see if I bookmarked it. The stock charger is the bare minimum needed to fly, not great, but gets the job done. Won't do anything more than it has to. Really can't go wrong with a better charger, which you can also use on other types of batteries, pack sizes. The stock charger is setup for one specific battery. I don't know the voltage of a 3 cell pack, which defines where it gone for good, but if it's showing around 10 volts, chances are good it can be recovered. The charger will be programmed to not charge dead or damaged batteries, based on a voltage reading. Could be as simple as giving it a little boost, worked on a few NiMh batteries in the past, never tried a Lithium, always afraid of fire and explosions, although it's unlikely.

7. maxndale

maxndale New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Male
    SW Michigan
    Ok, so I made sure my video was off took off 20 feet up. Took picture. went up to 100 feet and could not take pictures would make the snap / lens sound the get red error message at top of monitor.

Also what software is everyone using to play the video back. Both my laptops on play the sound not video. My work computer plays it all...

8. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    The Red Message appears when you forget to stop the video recording before taking a picture.

9. Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Male