No-Fly Restrictions (in NY and in general)

Discussion in 'Help' started by Hartley, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hartley

Hartley New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Male
    So apparently I didn't do my research well enough. I have a Typhoon Q500 4K and found out the hard way that the engines won't even start within 5 miles of an airport. Okay, assuming that I've accepted I can't fly my copter of choice in most places around me, I'm faced with the question of where I can actually fly it. DJI has a map of no-fly zones (I couldn't find one from Yuneec) but the map on AirMap is more restrictive. Any idea which map my typhoon's restrictions will be closer to? I'd like to keep this from becoming an even larger guessing game.

Also, my state lists the park I was in (Flushing Meadows Park, in Queens) as a designated place for flying (http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/modelaircraftfields), though it's near LaGuardia airport. Any chance I'd be lucky enough to get Yuneec to remove their restriction there?

And as long as I'm posting, does anyone around NYC have any advice for flying in there area?

MikeCaputo likes this.
  2. MikeCaputo

MikeCaputo Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    SI NY
    I live on Staten Island. I have a couple of good spots, one of which is a designated RC field.

It's near the Costco on Richmond Ave.
    If you can get there, here's a map to the field.
    ImageUploadedByYuneec-Forum.com1459857736.479277.jpg

3. Comic Gamer

Comic Gamer New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Male
    Turn off geo fencing. The firmware restrictions do not match the actual laws.