No model name on Bind menu

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by famo, Dec 31, 2018.

1. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    #1 famo, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Hello,
    I have a Chroma Blade with 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro. All of a sudden I lost my view on screen of ST10+. However quadcopter was still connected. Turning on Chroma and RC on land, I was able start motors of Chroma and even fly it and land it but no data was present on screen of RC. No distance, altitude, speed etc. But number of SAT was present on screen.

Then I created a new model, named it Chroma2, put quadcopter in binding mode (leds blue flashing), entered into Flight Settings- Binding menu, saw the quadcopter, selected it, "connection established". However still there was no data, no view from my GoproHero3.

Than I decided to perform a factory reset, did it. This time even though I created and selected an Chroma model from Model Selection menu, I was not able to see anything on Flight Settings>Binding screen.

I am stucked.

Both the chroma and ST10+ were fully charged during all these processes.

Can you help me to solve this issue.

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I see you posted about 7 hours ago. That suggests we are in different time zones, since it is early morning here in US, Eastern Time Zone. What is your time zone?

Your description is a good start, but I will need more information. I suspect you started with one problem, and now have more than one.

How familiar are you with your drone and controller? New to them? Fixed a few things? Very experienced?

Do you have a way to try your Chroma with a different transmitter, or a way to try your transmitter with a different Chroma?

You mentioned doing a factory reset on the transmitter. Did you follow that by returning the firmware to the latest version?

Have you unplugged the Chroma receiver and plugged it back in?

3. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #3 WTFDproject, Dec 31, 2018
    Edited 2019-01-02: Posts 2 through 10 are based on a misconception of the actual issue. I misinterpreted the phrase “All of a sudden I lost my view on screen of ST10” to mean a loss of video. In fact, video was functioning properly. Only the view of telemetry related items was affected. If you are experiencing loss of telemetry only, please jump ahead to Post #11. The intervening posts will be left in place as information for anyone that has experienced "a simultaneous loss of telemetry and video, while aircraft control remains functional".

Not sure when you will see this post, so I will jump to some speculation based on my current interpretation of your original post. I believe that in the ORIGINAL problem, you lost telemetry and video at the same time, but still had the screen functions available. I am also assuming that when you mentioned having "SAT" displayed, you were really talking about the Controller satellite count, which is displayed on the upper right of the screen. That assumption includes a thought that you were not getting the drone satellite count, which is in the box labeled as "SAT" on the left of the screen.

I know this is an awful lot of assumption, but here are some thoughts to start off with:

The basic issue is that your controller is transmitting, but it is not receiving. That is why you were able to control the drone before you did the factory reset. (it was already bound). And it is the reason you can’t bind after the factory reset. (It can’t receive the “new” bind signal from the drone).

The video and telemetry come into the ST10 on different paths. You lost them both at the same time. The place the two paths come together is the main processing board, under the 2.4 GHz board. It is likely an actual problem with the board, but it could also be something as simple as a bad connection. The first step would be to remove the back cover of the controller, unplug everything from the board and plug it all back in. Let me know if you need guidance on this. I can help dig up some You Tube videos or some snapshots for that.

If reseating connectors does not help, it is likely the transmitter will have to be sent for service.

You may also now have another issue, related to doing the factory reset. Having said that, don’t do anything if reseating connectors has returned everything normal. IF reseating connectors restored basic functionality, but minor issues (such as missing icons) persist, you need to ensure you followed the factory reset with an update to the latest firmware.

Note the firmware update instructions from Yuneec are somewhat confusing. They imply you do not extract the Zip file. You do. When you extract the zip from Yuneec, it produces the files your controller needs, and also a second zip file. It is the SECOND zip file that you do not extract.

As you complete the firmware update, ensure you perform the last step, which is a SYSTEM update

4. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    After completing the firmware update on ST10+, now I am back on the problem I started with. I can select and bind the quadcopter but I don't get drone's telemetry on screen.

5. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The fact that you can bind indicates at least part of the controller is "receiving". Can you connect to the camera and see video?

6. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Yes, I meant satellite count on upper right corner of the screen.
    As I said so, I receive no data from drone.

The gear icon, bottom right of the screen is pale too. It cannot be selected.

I would aprreciate your guidance on unscrewing the controller.

The screen of ST10+ keep saying "RC:Connecting..."

IMG_20190101_175358.jpg

7. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I'm looking for a link to a decent video. Should have it in a minute.

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This will show how to remove back of controller. Be careful of the small wires that run between the front and back of the case. I will find some pictures of the interior to show what things to unplug and reseat.

9. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This picture shows the two most directly related connectors. You should also disconnect and reseat anything else you can get to.
    Post1.jpg

10. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Thank you.

I will try this.

11. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It is important to understand if you can bind to camera and get video. There are two other avenues that could fit your issue. One of them would be a bad "receiver" module in the drone itself, and the other could be as simple as the bind process not being completed correctly.

I would feel better if we were more sure of our "target" problem before you proceed with removing the back of the controller. Please let me know if you are able to connect to the camera and see video.

12. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I can connect to camera and get video on screen.
    My main problem is reading telemetry on screen and geting the gear icon on again.

13. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #13 WTFDproject, Jan 1, 2019
    Edit 2019-01-02: This item was posted prior to seeing the previous post (#12). Post #12 shows this post (#13) to be irrelevant to the actual issue at hand. Please disregard this post (#13) for the current purpose of this thread. The post will be left in the thread to provide information that may prove useful to others who have a problem with binding.

Some issues similar to yours have been resolved once problems with the binding process have been identified and resolved. The attached file is a very detailed binding sequence that may help to identify a problem with the process. It is very tedious, but may help resolve the issue.

Attached Files:

14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I think this changes the target we need to address. If the controller can see video, that invalidates the idea that it is the common connections inside the controller.

The lack of the gear icon, as well as the "follow me" icon is most often related to not performing a "system update" as the last step of doing a firmware update. Did you finish the firmware update by doing a "system Update?

15. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Yes, I finished the update process. The Build number changed from b24c to b30c sth.

16. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    And did you run the "system" update at the end?

17. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Yes I did.

18. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #18 WTFDproject, Jan 1, 2019
    It sounds like we need to look at a possible problem with the drone's receiver, maybe the drone firmware. or maybe even an issue with the Chroma mainboard.

Can you upload another screen from your controller? Wait until the GPS has locked, and the drone is ready for flight, and then get a picture of what the controller is showing.

If you could put the drone on the GUI, and take screenshots of the Sensor page and the GPS page, it might help lead us to the issue.
    While on the GUI, look to see what drone firmware version it is showing.

19. famo

famo New Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Here we come to another problem. I have a W10 laptop and W10GUI is not functioning on it. Virtual port is not present, all my USB ports are 3.0 etc.

20. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    OK. We may have to come back to that later, but for now, let me tell you what I am thinking, and maybe something that will help.
    As I understand it, the only signal the controller is receiving from the Chroma is the "BIND" signal. That signal does not come from the Chroma mainboard, It comes from the Chroma receiver itself. All the other "telemetry" comes from the Chroma mainboard. One theory is that the connection between the mainboard and the receiver needs to be unplugged and plugged back in a couple of times to try to free up any corrosion. Do you know how to remove the "wire cover" in the battery compartment, and unplug the receiver connection?