Q500 4K Noob question - Calibrate before every use? Why?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by DR0N3R, Sep 28, 2017.

1. DR0N3R

DR0N3R New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I am three flights in on a Q500 4K, calibrated before each use but before I start experimenting without calibration, I wanted to hear from experienced users. Also I have never calibrated the Accelerometer only Compass. Any notice in performance?

2. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    I'm no expert (a few dozen flights) but will throw out my 2 cents. It's important to calibrate your compas once before your first ever flight. But not necessary to re-calibrate each flying session. As for accelerometer, I calibrated mine using the computer GUI only once. Not sure it was necessary. Haven't recalibrated since. Just fly and have fun. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell what are the symptoms of Q needing calib (maybe unstable hover or something?).

3. skwty

skwty Active Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I only calibrate my Typhoon H when I have taken it a significant distance from the last calibration. So, in the 6 months and 50 or so flights, I have calibrated it 3 times. I have heard of pilots calibrating it right out of the box and that is it. To each his own. I am sure you will be fine. Just keep your eyes and ears open :)

4. DR0N3R

DR0N3R New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    #4 DR0N3R, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Thank you for your replies. I am going to monitor the drone's steadiness\stability and compare it with other Drones before any more calibration. More research and comparison to be done such as motors and props. I bought aftermarket props thinking that the product couldn't be that much different but reading some post I see mixed results.

5. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    On the subject of after-market props, I learned on a different quad-copter that stiffer props tend to create/allow more vibration getting into the video. I'm staying with the stock props on my Q500-4k.

Hippygator and Steve Carr like this.
  6. john cappiello

john cappiello New Member

Feb 25, 2016
    not true.
    the stock props are garbage.
    APC 13X5.5 are the way to go.

7. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016

I have had mine for over two years, traveled over 500 miles with it, calibrated it once, no problems at all.

Hippygator likes this.
  8. john cappiello

Feb 25, 2016

https://www.apcprop.com/product/13x5-5mr-b4/

Best props ever made, motors run cooler, longer flight time, almost no vibration before balancing them.

9. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I have been flying my Q500 4K for over a year now and only calibrated it one time when I first got it and I have had no problems flying it...oh and have never upgraded the firm ware...the way I see it..if it works, don't mess with it.....

PilotRichard, Lawrence and Hippygator like this.
  10. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    In two years of ownership I only calibrated compass once. Regularly traveled up to 50 miles from calibrated point with no problems. Going several 100 miles from home point yea I probably would have recalibrated. Just remember to do it again when you get back home.

Hippygator likes this.
  11. War019

War019 New Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Male
    Compared to most, I'm only a moderately experienced pilot; that said, I do know a bit about accelerometers. After thinking about it (because my 500 was acting off, ever so slightly), I realized just how many aspects of flight the accelerometer could impact, even if the issues are almost imperceptible.....especially if the accelerometer has seen a slow degradation in its calibration. In that case it's likely that a pilot would adapt without realizing. Or, the sensitivity amongst the accelerometers that Yuneec sources vary to a large degree. As most know, gravity is felt as acceleration; gravity tells your copter, via the accelerometer, which way is down because gravity pulls towards Earth's center. Satellites will certainly keep your copter's location pretty steady, but if your accelerometer is out of calibration, your copter will be 'fighting' itself since the accelerometer controls steady attitude. Any attitude other than ground plane parallel with blade plane (upside down notwithstanding:)), will result in movement. Compass I'll do when warned, but I'm going to step up accelerometer a hair.

12. Thunder Chief

Thunder Chief New Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Male