Parts to Relocate Antenna from Cgo2 to Underside of the Q500 [List]

Discussion in 'C-GO2' started by gustofusion, Sep 9, 2015.

1. gustofusion

gustofusion Active Member

I ordered all the parts needed to relocate the LHCP antenna from inside the cgo2 camera body to the underside of the Q500.

Actually the original antenna will remain in the camera so as not to upset the balance or function of the gimbal.
    After the internal antenna is disconnected, a separate antenna will be mounted on the underside of the Q to provide better video reception at a greater distance while extending the range to assist in preventing video signal drop or shuddering.

I have included all the parts I have ordered for this build in the attached PDF.

Once the parts arrive I will put together a very detailed illustration of how to without botching up your camera or Q where the addition will look nice, be secure and provide better video range and quality.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. gustofusion

The truth is their simply L brackets, as small as you can get away with, the purpose of the illustration was to show L Brackets, Lightweight is the idea rather than stamped metal lets say for like a book shelf, and on another note, the one other video that's out was filmed with a potato, the ultimate in poor quality and the audio then is cut out on the 2nd half of the video. Even if you looked at the Horizon example on their main website you can see the highly botched up rendition of the instillation of their Product. Very poorly executed. Have to keep in mind, lots of people have no experience whatsoever with any form of DIY, watching a video for many simply adds to the level of confusion especially when the one producing the video is looking with the camera rather than filming subject matter with the intention to convey helpful information relating to HOW to and DIY.
    Horizons actual example of their installation....
    Bad_Example.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  3. gustofusion

Have made the Transition now.. Sure are LOTS of screws on the frame of the Q... Must have been 70--80 screws.

IMG_0152.jpg IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0156.jpg IMG_4122.jpg IMG_4123.jpg IMG_4130.jpg IMG_4133.jpg IMG_4136.jpg IMG_4137.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. Sti

Stingray New Member

5. gustofusion

cover_off.jpg
    The mod is really quite simple, the difficult part is removing all the screws,
    Here's what you'll need to relocate the camera antenna and the Receiver antenna from the Q500

QTY

(1) FPV Clover Leaf Omni-Directional Circular Polarized 2.4GHz Video Audio Antennas
    When you order these make a note on your order that you need LHCP

(1) 2-Pack RP-SMA Male to SMA Female Right Angle 90-Degree Gold Plated Adapter

(1) 2X 1.37 U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cable 20 Inches (50cm) USA

(1) Circular Polarized 5.8ghz Antenna Set - SMA; LHCP; 60mm This contains 2 antennas

Now the mod....
    When you open your q500 shell, you will see the transmitter in the center, It will be wrapped in clear heat shrink wrapping.

You will also see the 2 antenna wire leads connected to the receiver, One goes up the middle and one goes down the landing gear. You will be removing the one going down the landing gear. the one that is closest to the center line of the Q is the one you need to disconnect, then replace with one of the 50cm pigtail antenna leads you purchased off of ebay. The other one you will leave connected as is, "the center one inside the q"

Pic1.jpg

Next, route the wire out and down one of the landing gear holes on the side of the Q that when assembled and would be sitting on the ground on the right side landing gear.

You'll have about a foot of wire dangling out of the bottom of the q with the SMA connector on it once you have your q top and bottom halves put back together.

Regarding the Camera Mod... this one is a bit more tricky because of how fiddly the camera is once its all apart, not that its difficult to take apart but it;s delicate and difficult to hold in your hand taken apart. It will be obvious where the antenna needs to be disconnected and the wire replaced with the other one you purchased off of ebay. Its not hard, just fiddly...

I drilled a small hole in my cameras plastic case right beside the vent because you'll need to insert the pigtail end into the camera body and it needs to move freely when the cameras assembled and never get in a bind.
    cam.jpg

Now take the cover off the camera,
    cover_off.jpg

Take the 4 screws out down in the base of the camera mount
    Screws.jpg

Remove the decals from both sides, Lift with a razor a touch then peal slowly, if you go slow there's no damage and they go back on easily

decals.jpg

Remove these 2 phillips screws

Screws-decal.jpg

Remove these 4 screws

4screws.jpg

Next remove these 4 phillips screws, so we can get to the pigtail connection

pig.jpg

Unplug this connection carefully

plug.jpg

Mark and drill 1/4 inch hole

Mark_Drill.jpg

Remove old cloverleaf antenna

Remove.jpg

Route the pigtail wire thru the outside of the hole you drilled then plug it onto the plug on the mainboard where you just removed the old cloverleaf antenna

new-wire.jpg

Begin to reassemble the mainboard and insert the 4 screws and the plug.

reassemble.jpg

Orient the camera in its normal working direction and begin to put the shell back into place

orient.jpg

Finish up by putting back in your 4 phillips mounting screws and then screw the case together with the reaming screws and finally put back on your decals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Headbros likes this.
  6. Sti

Stingray New Member

Thank you very much!
    Love how detailed and clear your instructions are.
    Nice work!

gustofusion likes this.
  7. Sti

Stingray New Member

Please when you have time, detail the work needed on the controller.

8. gustofusion

I made a video related to the Controller Here, Its far easier and uses the same type of Pigtail cables but shorter

9. gustofusion

On a seperate note: If you order the Horizon Antenna Kit it comes with the pigtail leads needed so you wouldnt need to purchase them from ebay for the transmitter mod.

10. Mallo2011

Mallo2011 Active Member

Hi @gustofusion so, if I understand correctly, the Horizon FPV Antenna kit for the ST10 comes with all the connection cables, also the 2 U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA WiFi coaxial cables needed to modify the interior of the ST10 itself.
    That means nothing else to buy apart from the Horizon kit.
    Is this true?
    TY

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. gustofusion

Yes... With the Horizon Antenna Kit everything is included to modify the Transmitter

12. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

...has someone quantified exactly the advantage with the antenna outside of the camera?

13. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

The advantage is you don't lose video at greater distances :)

14. gustofusion

The circular Polarized antenna needs to always remain vertical so when it is removed from the camera it stays in a vertical position even when the camera is pitched down.

15. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

Obviously :rolleyes::p!....I repeat, anyone has quantified the gain in meters, feet, yards or whatever?
    What I mean is that in the antenna in the camera is already well positioned and is a good antenna, the cable added surely involves a loss of signal, the gain is minimal in my opinion.

16. gustofusion

I personally have not, I am still waiting on my 2.4ghz antennas to the underside of the Q once they arrive and I can mount it on the Q then I can do some range testing. My understanding is you won't get additional range but you will get improved video reception when turning/rotating the camera. The range increase will come from the helical antenna that will be updated on the transmitter and further range increase with the Sunhans Booster mod. With the Helical antenna mod the power of the transmission is more directed/concentrated in the direction of the craft rather than more local coverage. Imagine the helical antenna like a water hose spraying the craft with a stream of water, and the factory antenna spraying a circle around you like a sprinkler, covering a greater smaller local area but not able to reach out so far as with a direct concentrated stream than requires focusing. (hope this makes sense)

I don't know much about gain or loss from a wire. I know Ham radio operators have sometimes hundreds of feet of cable going up towers to their antennas, So I can't comment for sure if there is a loss or gain.

17. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

The lose from the cable is very small if any. The cloverleaf antennas work best for all around best reception when they are straight up or down. This means it does not matter which way you turn your quad the reception should stay the same. The cloverleaf in the camera most times is facing forwards and is not positioned for best reception. Now if you point your camera straight down than you achieve the affect as mounting it to the outside of the shell. All FPV quads have the CL antennas pointed up or down.
    [​IMG]

gustofusion likes this.
  18. Mallo2011

Mallo2011 Active Member

This is certainly the greatest problem with the original configuration of the Typhoon, although the 5.8 GHz antenna inside the ST10 is a patch antenna, so not a bad one at all. If you are careful to keep the flat front part of the ST10 consistently pointed toward the quad you can reach a good distance without losing the video feedback. I can commonly go up to 500m this way.
    Has someone quantified exactly the advantage with the ST10 antenna modification alone?
    I would prefer not to modify the factory balance setup of the drone.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  19. Mallo2011

Mallo2011 Active Member

Yes @Jagerbomb52 you are right! Pointing the camera straight down is a simple trick to extend the video range of a stock Q500. This video do a nice test on this subject:

20. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

..hi Mallo, with only FPVLR antennas I got over 1km with a good video.
    Now I have added the amplifiers and I got over 2km....

Tank likes this.