Photo tutorial how to check for cracks in the plastic around the motors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SparkoRC, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Tools I used:-
    1 small philips screwdiver with a PH0 tip.
    1 plastic car body trim removal tool, any plastic suitable implement could be used for prising up the circuit board.
    Not essential but I did use a x8 Jewelers Binocular Magnifier for a real close up inspection around the motors.
    Whilst I did not check the motor Torx screws in this tutorial it is a Torx T8 screwdriver that fits these screws.

Remove the battery and the props and lay on a flat surface upside down, remove the four philips screws that hold the light lens in place, place screws in a container to avoid losing them, carefully lift the light up you will note there is some wires attached to to the light but they are long enough to move the light one side, you will now see a square circuit board located on four plastic posts, gently prise up on each side of circuit board to remove from plastic posts, be very careful not to crack the circuit board, one of my own was very tight fit on the post and had to be teezed of very gently on alternate corners, once lifted of the post you can carefully move the board to one side you wont be able to move it very far because of the heavy gauge wires attached to it, but sufficient to check for any cracks or broken plastic around the motor fixing points, if no cracks are found before reassembly, just check for tightness each motor Torx T8 screw don't over tighten because until I hear back from Yuneec this may be the cause of these cracks appearing during assembly they were over tightened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Edited) Unfortunetly have just noticed the cracks do not show up well in the last three photo's since I uploaded, will try and upload 3 clearer pictures which hopefully show the cracking clearly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Tags:
    WARDHOG and Denis56 like this.
  2. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

Do you feel like those cracks were caused from screw torque or plastic fatigue?

3. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

My guess would be plastic fatigue as I had previously checked them on the 3rd December and they was fine no cracks at that point the quad had flown a total of 8 hours, now after just checking my flight log it has done only 1 1/4 hours since last checked., so if it was being caused by the torque of the screws I would have imagined that would have shown cracks on my first inspection, because whilst I did checked the torx screws I did not tighten them any further or loosen them just left them as I found them.

On the first check I checked the tightness of the torx screws but found none of the screws unduly tight that would have contributed to this problem.

I have emailed Yuneec UK regarding this issue and wait for their reply

4. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Hopefully with these clearer photo's what to look for regarding cracks around the motors.

[​IMG]
    With no cracks

[​IMG]
    Motor 1 showing cracking around the Torx screws.
    [​IMG]
    Motor 2 showing cracking around the torx screws.
    [​IMG]
    Motor 3 showing cracking around the torx screws.
    The cracking appears to start from the raised plastic collar next to the steel washer, and you may also see faint hairline cracks emulating from that point but does not show up in these photo's.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. EGroot

EGroot Member

I had the same issue I discovered when swapping out a bad motor. 3 of 4 cracked badly.

6. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Thank you for your input on this topic may I ask your location in the world I'm trying to collate what country's these issues have cropped up in,so far I know cracks have been found in Italy, USA, and UK, because it more wide spread now its not very likely to be a bad batch problem, I now suspect it could be more of a design issue at the moment I'm waiting for Yuneec UK to come back to me with a answer.

What was the outcome of your cracks you had found !

At the moment its strange there has been only a few Typhoons known to have suffered this issue of cracking, hopefully Yuneec will come up with some answers very soon, I know some one on the forum suggested it may be caused by the small washer under the torx screws pushing down on the rubber causing the rubber to expand a bit and consequently causing the plastic collar to crack, based on that I'm not so sure because all the torx screws on my own Typhoon were not tight by any means when I carried out my safety inspection.

7. EGroot

EGroot Member

8. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

Italy...I think that if all customers make the ceck, the list will be endless ... I think Yuneec should really take action with seriousness about this defect.

9. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

10. Truman

Truman Member

11. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

I reported it to Yuneec UK last Wednesday the only reply I've had was the next day, which said the following as below, so I guess by now the whole of Yuneec Company Globaly are now aware of this problem and trying to come up with a solution to fix it, as soon as I hear any more than what I have already received I will keep everyone informed of any progress.

We are just checking with the European head office to see what we can offer, please bear with us and we will advise shortly.

12. Truman

Truman Member

I went ahead and started my own help session with USA Yuneec. Here is what they sent me
    To ensure you are receiving the most current and accurate formation, I have created a ticket for you #XXXXXXX, too pass along to our Technical Support Department for further review and Ive requested that they contact you as soon as they become available. Thank you in advance for your patience and for being a part of the Yuneec Family.

I will also keep everyone advised

13. Truman

Truman Member

Here is what Yuneec responded to me
    I have forwarded the issue of the cracks showing up around the motor mount screws to our management and they should have some word about it shortly. I talked to a technical manager as well and he stated that although there are cracks appearing, it is still safe to fly. Now if there is a crack going from one motor mount screw to another, linking the screws, then I can see it being a point of failure. At this time we still do not have any word on if there is a resolution this.

14. Laserdoc

Laserdoc Active Member

here is what they sent me today

It does look to be a common issue. We are looking into it.

Regards,

Brian A

Yuneec USA Inc.

15. nsc

nscaler2 Member

Thank you for going to all the trouble to disassemble and posting all the pictures. I guess you could call me lazy, because with a good bright light one can see at least two of the four mounting screws without removing anything. And, like the rest of you I have cracks in at least 3 of my four motors. I don'[t know if the rest of you feel this way, but I feel somewhat betrayed. Yuneec had to have known of this problem long before the big sales campaign over the holidays. I have nearly $1200 in my bird. To me this is NOT just a kids toy. Wonder what they are going to do for all of us?

16. EGroot

EGroot Member

While the product still offers more bang for the buck, it does have a long way to go. Despite my troubles with the camera (2 replacements & finally upgraded to 4k) Yuneec still has great customer support. I just worry how long they can maintain replacing parts before Intel or someone else pulls the plug.

17. chase

chase Member

Hope you don't mind if I interject here, but has anyone checked the motors to see if they were properly balanced?

If not balanced properly, that's probably your cause, the cracks the effect.

Not saying it is mind you... just a possibility.

18. EGroot

EGroot Member

Not sure about the motors but I do have and use a prop balancer. They were out of balance when I removed them from packaging. This seems to be widespread issue. I think maybe due to over tightening during initial assembly but of course thats just a hunch. I have seen other posts that say a Yuneec engineer said as long as the cracks arent between two mounting holes, it's safe to fly

19. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

Are any of you using aftermarket carbon fiber blades? If you are, that may have caused these cracks because the flexibility in the CF blades is not there compared to the stock blades IMHO. If you have been using them, don't broadcast.

20. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

I wonder if you can apply 2 part epoxy to the cracks to help strengthen the mounts.