C-GO3 Power for CG03 Camera

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by DanToraason, Jun 7, 2018.

1. DanToraason

DanToraason New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Male
    I am looking to power my CG03 from a Blade 250 QX3 quad main control board. The CG03 takes 11.1 volts (nominally) just like the quad so the flight battery is an excellent power source.
    Ideally, I want the power to be AFTER the quad's power switch so that I can cycle power to the camera and the quad at the same time.

Does anyone have a good place to suggest taking the power from the board? Or does anyone have a good diagram that shows the pinouts on the board?

I tried taking the power from the second set of big pads - shown circled in red on the photo (I took the photo from another forum and added the circle). But this appears to be the power to one of the ESCs and it makes the quad fly a little wonky and makes the GPS cut out often.

I don't want to use the charging connector on the battery because it an extra connection to make each time I put a new battery in, and I want to be able to cycle power easily in case the camera does not initialize correctly.

Any suggestions are welcomed!
    I also have a (couple of) 350 QXs (version 1 and 2) which have a different board layout - I am trying to make a universal mount so I can easily fly my camera with different quads.

Thanks!
    D

2. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

The red circled connections are right. All four contact pairs are in parallel, only to have space for four pairs of cabling. It does not matter, which one of the soldering points you use.
    I have used this for additional LED lights, no problems with ESCs. Have a look on the white connector...

350QX_MB_Elko.jpg

Remark: The red bridge (Brücke) is needed if the power switch MOSFETs are dead. If the power after the switch is going out of the machine, a fuse would be a good idea.

br HE

3. DanToraason

DanToraason New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Male
    Thanks HE - you have helped me with stuff in the past and I always appreciate it!

Your annotated board picture is very helpful - thank you for that.

I'll have to poke around and see what else must be causing the problem then if these power connectors supply full power. Maybe the wiring is interfering with the GPS antenna or something causing the unstable flight. This drone flys fine when the Camera is mounted but not connected to the power.

I have another 350 QX with a power JST connector hanging out of it (it was that way when I bought it used - and I have not taken it apart to see what the previous owner did). It powers my CGO3 fine but it is always on when the battery is connected, so I suspect it is soldered in when the battery connector is soldered to the main board.

D

4. DanToraason

DanToraason New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Male
    I dug in a little more and realized it is NOT the GPS that is cutting out, it is the Receiver - it gets a few feet off the ground, loses signal and tries to Return to home. And only when the camera is on. So I am guessing my power wires are crossing or running next to an antenna or other signal wire somewhere.

5. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

My Blade 350QX was delivered with a copper foil the shield the whole camera. I think, they have had same problems in the past.
    WLAN on camera should be OFF.
    Also, a ferrit filter isattached to all camera supply cables at all copters I know (Q500, Typhoon H).

Something like that black thing near the plug at Q500:
    CGO3_Kabel2.JPG

br HE

6. DanToraason

DanToraason New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Male
    Another update: a short while later I realized it was my DX6e Radio that was going out. I switched to one of my backup radios and everything was fine! So the way I wired the CG03 was perfect - coming off of one of the ESC pads on the main control board.

Of course I flew it for a few days any everything was groovy - then something happened in mid-air and my 350 QX plummeted to the ground and broke badly. So, I have another 350 QX in need of a new body (which I have) - just need time to move the guts over.

Thanks for the posts on this - I know what to do now.