Q500 4k Gimbal Issues?

Discussion in 'Help' started by Thomas Harvey, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Thomas Harvey

Thomas Harvey New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I'm actually not sure my problem is really a problem and I'm wondering if any other new owners have the same issue with theirs. I just got my new Q500 4K from Horizon Hobby December 24, 2015 in Michigan, USA. I followed all the instructions and did a firmware update to both the Q500 and the transmitter without any problems. I've noticed that at least half the time when I turn on either the quad or the steady grip with the Cgo3 camera attached, it will boot up with the camera's horizon off and not straight. I then have to turn everything off and then restart which will correct the problem. Just so you know, I have always turned on the camera or booted it up on a level surface as I understand that is what you have to do. Also, when the camera is attached to the Q500 I have always turned on the transmitter first and waited for the Android tone before turning on the quad on a level surface. I further want to note that after the first time on each occasion when I restarted either the quad or the steady grip, the camera became level and was fine. I have only test flown my Q500 one very short flight to see if everything was working properly for maybe less than 10 minutes and it seemed to fly well in Angle mode as I have flown other quads for some time now. I also have a Blade 350QX 3 combo with a Cgo2 camera and gimbal and I have never had it start up with the gimbal horizon not level. One last note, other than a firmware update to the quad and controller as mentioned above, I have not done any update to the camera by itself and at this time I don't know how to do that if it's needed. Thank you for any advice you may have as I want to make sure my camera / gimbal is not somehow defective.

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

We see this horizon problem a lot. Seems there is a bad batch of CGO3 cameras. Maybe not the camera itself but the gimbal. Sometimes you can start up the Typhoon and set the camera straight till it starts to initialize. Some have reported it straightens out. Others say it straightens out but as so as the Typhoon is in the air it will tilt again. I firmly believe this to be a gimbal malfunction.
    The only update for the camera is firmware 1.80 at this time and being a new camera I would say its already on it. There is no way yet to update the gimbal.
    If it was me I would be on the phone to either Yuneec or who ever you bought it from and ask for a exchange of the camera.

Stitched and Thomas Harvey like this.
  3. Thomas Harvey

Thomas Harvey New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Yes, thank you for the reply and the suggestion. I was hoping it wasn't anything that I would have to return the camera /gimbal for because of the hassle, but I will if need be. Since my original post I started it up on the steady grip again and sure enough it came on and stayed tilted until I restarted it a second time. I don't know why it doesn't start up properly the first time because so far, re-starting it has always corrected the alignment. I did try holding the camera straight during one of the first times and it still came on at an angle until I restarted without touching it and it was again fine the second start. Strange!

4. Arno De Voogd

Arno De Voogd New Member

HAving exact the same problem.

5. Tom Jue

Tom Jue New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Have the same exact problem here. I called with customer service at Yuneecusa and was told to send it back for "calibration", repair, replacement whatever. So after a couple weeks of limited flight opportunity due to weather I had to send the camera/gimbal assembly back. Was told it would take about a month due to service backlog. :-(

6. jbourne

jbourne Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Male
    Hey guys, any resolution with this issue?

7. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I too bought my Q500+ 4K last December and only flew it for the first time yesterday. Similarproblem on the first flight. THe camera seemed level on take off but slowly tilted up anr to the left and remained stuck there until I landed and turned the quad off and back on again. I'll call Yuneec next week. Also noticed that the 4K resolution of the CG03 was a lot smaller than full 4k or even UHD

8. jbourne

jbourne Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Male
    If you could, can you post Yuneec's response regarding the camera tilt issue? I actually took my Typhoon G back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another for this very reason. Yuneec indicated via telephone that they would need the whole system back for about 30 days to evaluate and repair. And I'd only owned it a week! AND I babied the hell out of it. That is simply inexcusable. No, these aren't the most expensive video platforms on the market, but for five hundred dollars, it should work as advertised. With no resets to temporarily fix the problem. If they know there's a problem, and judging by some of the comments on the internet, they do, for them not to aggressively fix this issue for owners is B.S. I'm hoping that this new one doesn't give me the same problem.

Rant over....

9. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Update as to 4K resolution. The Quicktime player on my Mac says the resolution is only 2560 x 1350. The same video played on my PC reads it as 4096 x 2160.

Did notice a slight tilt to the gimbal on my first flight but subsequent flights looked better though the horizon always seemed more off the lower the altitude. Here are some screen grabs.

Attached Files: